Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Divinity: Original Sin
For anyone interested, Prey (2006) can still be bought online even though it was delisted from Steam. I got it from Eneba for less than 2 bucks. Usually, these delisted games can be very expensive, but this one isn't. Might be worth grabbing a key if you liked it. I'm definitely glad to add it to my library.
https://www.eneba.com/us/steam-prey-steam-key-global

Also, if you have prey 2017, they are installed in the same folder, if you use the same drive (at least it was like that when I bought prey 2017). But the thing is both games work normally since there's no overwritten files.

ferratilis

Magister
For anyone interested, Prey (2006) can still be bought online even though it was delisted from Steam. I got it from Eneba for less than 2 bucks. Usually, these delisted games can be very expensive, but this one isn't. Might be worth grabbing a key if you liked it. I'm definitely glad to add it to my library.

Also, if you have prey 2017, they are installed in the same folder, if you use the same drive (at least it was like that when I bought prey 2017). But the thing is both games work normally since there's no overwritten files.
Not in my case, luckily.
0AUuLHD.png

Harthwain

Magister
need a good sci-fi game with a story to play, pls recommend
Starcraft 1,2
I kinda like it regardless, but Starcraft 2 is closer to Dragon Ball than it is to a good sf story. Similar thing happened to Warcraft 3 - it's as though someone was giving out free lobotomies at Blizzard in the early 00s, specifically in the writing department. Wing of Liberty is an OK rehash of all the space western tropes you're probably tired of, but the rest goes off the rails with power levels over 9000 and all that idiocy.
Stacraft 2 is weak compared to Starcraft 1 (and Brood War).

Wacraft 3 was pretty good though, because they managed to evolve the series - you got 4 unique races instead of 2 copy-pasta ones, the story went beyond "Good Humans vs Evil Orcs" and the characters taking part were much more involved in the events (Arthas, Illidan, Muradin, Uther, etc.), also heroes actually became the heroes; the most important units on the battlefield.

I think Starcraft 2's problem was that Warcraft 3's formula didn't fit Starcraft and the writing wasn't good enough to carry it entirely on its own (especially for Starcraft 1 veterans, whose obviously had much higher standard than the casual crowd). It has its moments, sure, but overall there are just too many holes for the ship not to sink.

GloomFrost

Arcane
need a good sci-fi game with a story to play, pls recommend
Starcraft 1,2
I kinda like it regardless, but Starcraft 2 is closer to Dragon Ball than it is to a good sf story. Similar thing happened to Warcraft 3 - it's as though someone was giving out free lobotomies at Blizzard in the early 00s, specifically in the writing department. Wing of Liberty is an OK rehash of all the space western tropes you're probably tired of, but the rest goes off the rails with power levels over 9000 and all that idiocy.
Stacraft 2 is weak compared to Starcraft 1 (and Brood War).

Wacraft 3 was pretty good though, because they managed to evolve the series - you got 4 unique races instead of 2 copy-pasta ones, the story went beyond "Good Humans vs Evil Orcs" and the characters taking part were much more involved in the events (Arthas, Illidan, Muradin, Uther, etc.), also heroes actually became the heroes; the most important units on the battlefield.

I think Starcraft 2's problem was that Warcraft 3's formula didn't fit Starcraft and the writing wasn't good enough to carry it entirely on its own (especially for Starcraft 1 veterans, whose obviously had much higher standard than the casual crowd). It has its moments, sure, but overall there are just too many holes for the ship not to sink.
Well yeah I meant WOG only, it had RELATIVELY OK plot for an RTS. HOTS and LOTV were a real decline though. As for WarCraft 3 plot come on man it was absolutely epic.

m_s0

Arcane
That's nostalgia talking, and I sympathize with that, but even if W3 is a good game, and even though the plot is serviceable (it does its job - for an RTS that kind of faux-epic is good enough), the writing itself is beyond atrocious in that game. And that's for the target audience of 12-year-olds.

hello friend

Arcane
I've wanted that game for ages. I never thought to check key resellers. Thanks.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
LOLLLOLOL BROS I BOUGHT PREY 2006 JUST CAUSE SOME FAG POSTED A CHEAP KEY

BOUGHT DEX CAUSE IT WAS ONLY A FEW DOLLARS

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Those Who Rule, some tactical RPG.

ss_d36ff2ce83cadcb49bb2331acb22d0ab5d6a0b20.600x338.jpg
ss_b0d6d93b77f4b84fe8cab46714458e35400c0189.600x338.jpg

Ankh Tower, a dark-fantasy rogue-like strategy. Art looks cool but unfortunately this seems like another one of those vaporware from PlayWay family.

ss_1247f5e3e5c36106e683b6a2f10ddfb890bae6ab.600x338.jpg
ss_f90fb3b1968603bb479e9b005313d0f7f66cabe4.600x338.jpg

curds

Magister
Well I got the ultracheap Control key.
But it's for GOG: I can afford having even the entire GOG account nuked.
In fact, I never meant to buy anything again from them.... but then I didn't, even now, as a matter of fact.
If you don't want to support gog, why even buy from a key reseller and not just pirate? I get buying keys if you're using steam and want the cheevos, etc.

mastroego

Arcane
Honestly, I got it for like 0,18 €, transaction included, or close to that.
Storage space is worth more...

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun is 90% off. One of the best Commandos-style games ever released, I bought it at full price and it was worth every penny.

Buy it for yourselves and gift copies to your friends. The devs deserve support.

mastroego

Arcane
I was considering it but I spent everything remaining on the pre-paid card for a gift.
I'd have to physically go to recharge it but I'm lazy so it's unthinkable.
:negative:

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Lowest price yet:
Not worth it. It's literally a singleplayer MMO with console-like controls for the party, which makes combat control tedious.

Also it’s missing a ton of dlc, because EA were jewish af and cut out a thousand pieces of the game to sell as micro transanctions making for some weird holes in gear progression, notably swords. So you want to access the final tier of sword weapons? Well fuck you, gotta pay 5£ on origin for that, otherwise hope you like maces.

Last edited:

Ryzer

Arcane
Not worth it. It's literally a singleplayer MMO with console-like controls for the party, which makes combat control tedious.
Put it simply and in a few words: It's a giant piece of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom