Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the most UNDERrated RPG on the codex?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Following Rusty thread about the most overrated RPG on CODEX https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/what-is-the-most-overrated-crpg-on-the-codex.141083/

I wanna ask which one is the most UNDERrated RPG on the codex?

My opinion? I already said in other thread. Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager is the most underrated RPG in the Codex https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/dark-sun-wake-of-the-ravager-is-underrated.138316/

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands

10687.jpg

Might & Magic III

10765.jpg

From the Top 70, they're better than most of the games above them

For some reason, i can never play more than 5 minutes of Wake of the Ravager, never could even exit the starting area.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Of older games: Disciples of Steel
Of games from the 21st century: Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul
Of obscure indies: The Earth Lords
Of big name games: Diablo 2

Falksi

Arcane
How the fuckinghell shite like Witcher 3 and Oblivion get in the Codex's "Top 101" list, yet Escape From The Pit and Buck Rogers:Countdown To Doomsday is nowhere to be seen is crackers.

Risen 2 is also massively overlooked. Only an average game, but the dialogue and humour make it a great experience.

I'll second Shadow Hearts:Covenant for the Weeb factor, and also throw in Summoner 2 as one of the best action RPGs you can play still, but which never gets a mention.

Last edited:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Game that got shit on due lots of bugs and people expecting open world game and not a dungeon crawler.

Despite its issues it has a solid gameplay, great atmosphere, interesting levels and ability to talk to every enemy gives it a unique layer.

dacencora

I would say the vast majority of JRPGs/J-SRPGs are overlooked on Codex, which is a shame. Dragon Quest 1 and Shin Megami Tensei (especially 1/2/Strange Journey) are closer to the classic CRPGs than many Western games.

I would say the vast majority of JRPGs/J-SRPGs are overlooked on Codex, which is a shame. Dragon Quest 1 and Shin Megami Tensei (especially 1/2/Strange Journey) are closer to the classic CRPGs than many Western games.
Soul Hackers is bestest based redpilled SMT game anon! It is!

jungl

Augur
shadow hearts covenant had arguably the worst jrpg battle music in history but its above average everywhere else.

V_K

Arcane
Dark Disciples 2 and, to a lesser extent, Geneforge. Both games are a masterclass in roleplaying and reactivity, offering a wide variety of different build-dependent solutions to every area and quest - yet they fly heavily under the radars here.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wish Ho Tu Lo Shu had a proper localization. I beat it twice, and I loved (almost) every minute of it. The game is really fukkin' good.

Drowed

Arcane
Shadow Hearts is underrate kino anons! It is!

Shadow Hearts 2 has Papillon, which automatically makes it superior.
rating_prestigious.png

Honestly, several JRPGs are underrated here in the Codex because most members can't stomach all the faggotry art and plot cringiness. Which now that I write it all, sounds perfectly fair. But I still had a lot of fun with several JRPGs especially from the PS1 and PS2 era. Shin Megami Tensei is a great series (Persona too).

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
, several JRPGs are underrated here in the Codex because most members can't stomach all the faggotry art and plot cringiness.

I just don't like games who force me to play as a teen with a sword. RPG's from Japan which don't force me to play in that way, I honestly like IE - Dark Souls 1/2/3 and Nioh. Other problem is that most of JRPG's are focused on consoles. PC's >>> Consoles.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Most games older than Fallout are underrated here. Completely absent from the Top 101 list are:

* Curse of the Azure Bonds
* The Magic Candle
* The Dark Heart of Uukrul
* Albion
* Champions of Krynn
* Wizard's Crown
* Chaos Strikes Back
* Phantasie
* Wizardry IV
* Might & Magic I
* Disciples of Steel
* Starflight

Drowed

Arcane
I just don't like games who force me to play as a teen with a sword. RPG's from Japan which don't force me to play in that way, I honestly like IE - Dark Souls 1/2/3 and Nioh. Other problem is that most of JRPG's are focused on consoles. PC's >>> Consoles.

Well, being honest, I played most console RPGs on emulators on PC (I've never owned any console from Sony/Microsoft), so I actually totally agree with your point here. And I also had a hard time swallowing the "group of teenagers on an adventure to become demigods and save the world" trope, but once you get used to it it ends up becoming background noise. I'm not defending that, in fact I totally agree that it's one of the worst things about games coming from there. Maybe I just have an above average tolerance for it, since I used to read a lot of manga when I was a teenager. Who knows.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Stop getting filtered by armor.

Is not humor. Is archers that can't hit target at 14m, cooldowns, stat stickie d3 style itemization, the worst armor mechanic even invented in a game(...)

Well, being honest, I played most console RPGs on emulators on PC (I've never owned any console from Sony/Microsoft), so I actually totally agree with your point here. And I also had a hard time swallowing the "group of teenagers on an adventure to become demigods and save the world" trope, but once you get used to it it ends up becoming background noise. I'm not defending that, in fact I totally agree that it's one of the worst things about games coming from there. Maybe I just have an above average tolerance for it, since I used to read a lot of manga when I was a teenager. Who knows.

Anime, I like when the MC is different than the typical shonen protagonist. For eg, Drifters, Hellsing, Berserk, sadly with JRPG's the protagonist turns me down 99% of the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom