Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?

dacencora

I think a lot of what people like in Fallout 1 is imaginary

I doubt that very much. The things I like about Fallout 1: gory combat animations, fun character building, funny and intriguing dialogue, moody music and overall atmosphere, sound design. The combat is definitely one of its weaker elements, because the encounters are mostly only okay, and there is little tactical depth (just go for the eyes, always). None of that is imaginary, however.

curds

Magister
Honestly Arcanum is a massive turd, nearly everything about is is clunky and combat is poke your eyes out levels of bad,. The only thing it has going for it is the setting and muh playthrough variety.
Nah, only combat is bad in arcanum, and it's only as clunky as other RPGs of its era, ie. Fallouts, ToEE. Not only is the setting and build variety good but also the writing, music and art direction.

I think Baldur's gate 1 is overrated here. Childish writing, trashmob filled combat and huge empty maps you have to walk through bring it down for me.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
I certainly didn't think your post was inflammatory, but people sure do get upset over their games.

This is just "Trigger the Codex with a statement" all over again

Yeah. Bunch of edgy lowlifes spreading their bullshit. The thread belongs to retardoland.
yygtTkT.png

Just come out and say what the game is.
I never meant to suggest there is only one, I wanted to read what everyone's opinions on this are.
:hmmm:

Planescape: Torment. I appreciate how amazing it is on the narrative department, and the presentation is pretty good too, but the moment-to-moment gameplay is oh so boring.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Ladonna

Arcane
Spent wayy too much time in this thread.

Mr. Shackleford is just being a tease.
I expected supreme enlightenment :roll::M
No idea how all of you managed to miss this but
check the prefix on the thread

Yes, now you have to give a detailed answer why it (whichever one you are claiming, 1 or 2)is overrated. Go on. Pull the trigger.

What about 3 or 4? :deathclaw:

a5BkfjD.png

Could you point to them on the chart please?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Actually the more I look at the list the more my head hurts. I think there needs to be a purge.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The Neverwinter Nights games from Bioware's Aurora engine. A very good dungeon-design toolkit, but horrible gaming engine. Gameplay was just too clunky and slow, and some decent expansions and fan-made adventures could do nothing to change that.

I'm also surprised that Baldur's Gate is so much lower in the new rankings than Baldur's Gate II. Baldur's Gate 2 is an amazing game, but I thought BG1 would at least rank closer due to its reduced level advancement making for more difficult and less magic heavy battles.

Honorable mention for being overrated goes to Fallout New Vegas. Fallout 3 was shit, and it's amazing how much more improved and engaging FNV was, but it has the same problem as the Neverwinter Nights games. All the best writing can't make a great game from a shit engine.

Edit: Honorable mention 2.... just re-looked at the original and 2019 top CRPG lists. Still can't fathom why Dragon's Age is still there. The writing is horrible and the combat is worse.

Last edited:

KateMicucci

Arcane
a5BkfjD.png

Could you point to them on the chart please?
Darklands- had potential, nice setting and some good ideas, but its a mess. You get the same radiant quests over and over, every city is the same, combat sucks.

Betrayal at Krondor- never understood this one. I gave up at the sewers when it seemed the game was nothing but fighting the exact same enemies over and over.

Adenocaulon

Educated
I thought BG1 would at least rank closer due to its reduced level advancement making for more difficult and less magic heavy battles.

State effect spells decide the outcome of the battle in BG 1. Most of the gameplay was spamming state effect spells before enemy mages do the same.

Codex Year of the Donut
basically every NPC in baldur's gate has a reaction to being charmed so that's a plus in its favor, I guess. Missing from BG2.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Spent wayy too much time in this thread.

Mr. Shackleford is just being a tease.
I expected supreme enlightenment :roll::M
No idea how all of you managed to miss this but
check the prefix on the thread
It was quite noticable but who wants to spoil the joke by pointing it out like that?

tab reads "Gothic - What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?

Beans00

Augur
Overrated?

Games I didn't like
Morrowind
NWN 1-2(specifically 2 and more 10 years ago ppl don't praise it as much today)
IWD
WIZ 8(although I've never liked blobbers so I'm not really in their target audience)
Dragon age origins

Games I liked
bg 1/2

gaussgunner

Arcane
Of the ones I've played, PoE and DOS were totally overrated on the Codex when they came out. Incline my ass. I get the same feeling about Planescape, BG2, and Fallout but it's possible I could change my mind if I ever get into them, but I can't take the Codex recommendations for them seriously.

Arcanum, Bloodlines, Deus Ex, Gothic, and JA2 are pretty good in my book. Shadowrun is ok. Witcher 3 is overrated in general but it's gotten the criticism it deserves on the Codex as long as I've been here. Witcher 1 deserves to be above 3 in the rankings but it's not exactly a great rpg either so who cares.

I get more enjoyment out of some of the "shit games" I heard about here. Dragon's Dogma is a better action rpg than Witcher 3. Divine Divinity is superior to DOS; it's still a shit game and you shouldn't pay more than $2 for it, but at least it has some 2D charm. Jeff Vogel used to make some decent indie shit.

BruceVC

Magister
Anything not from Bethesda, plus Morrowind, are overrated as fuck on the Codex.
I apologize if I have misunderstood your post but it comes across as all games from Bethesda as bad and that would be almost impossible to be true? I am not trying to catch you out but thats means you believe the following games are all bad
  • Fallout games
  • Elder Scroll games
  • Dishonored series
  • Arx Fatalis
  • Doom
  • Quake
  • Rage series
Now anyone can dislike some of these games but its unlikely you could dislike all of them as they different? In other words I am sure you dont mean all Bethesda games are bad ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom