Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Should have been an Assassin. Stop whining that a game is shit ...

Fake news... never said the game was shit.

... because you played a class you didn't like ....

Fake news, part 2, I am literally saying in the part you quoted that I like fighter mechanics... I mean at least try...

... or it had a bad class. I wouldn't have liked playing a Warrior waiting for my one shot attack to charge all game long. Doesn't mean the game as a whole is shit. You also don't need range as an Assassin. Climbing on enemies and using thousand kisses with daggers or the skewer attack with a sword, is perfectly fine for eyeballs, heads, or hearts of mobs.

Kinda irrelevant to the argument at hand, no?

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Just started playing. It's dangerously based. Too based for Codex probably.

Also installed it for the first time. Already 80 hours played, more than I played any games in the last 2 years (except for Pathfinder). Love the warrior class, especially when fighting groups, the timing makes it feel so tactical. And the feeling when your 2H swords hits with a charged attack, that's really something!

It's funny what little things like just one savegame and proper night time obscurity will do for immersion.

I kind of struggle to find useful pawns that don't look retarded though. What's with the hats nd the silly dresses ?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Assassin has Instant Reset which is the best skill ever.

Zeriel

Arcane
Just started playing. It's dangerously based. Too based for Codex probably.

Also installed it for the first time. Already 80 hours played, more than I played any games in the last 2 years (except for Pathfinder). Love the warrior class, especially when fighting groups, the timing makes it feel so tactical. And the feeling when your 2H swords hits with a charged attack, that's really something!

It's funny what little things like just one savegame and proper night time obscurity will do for immersion.

I kind of struggle to find useful pawns that don't look retarded though. What's with the hats nd the silly dresses ?

Yeah the early game feel of wandering out into the world at night is unmatched, especially that one music track with the melancholic singing. It's a shame the world wasn't a bit bigger to let that feeling last longer, once you've played through once it loses that magic. Definitely a great first experience though.

If anything I'd worry the sequel will lose that special something and just become a tired retread of "people liked this, so robotically clone it over and over".

I'm curious about what fellow codexers think about potential Coop in DD2. Would it harm the formula or would it be great?

I like the idea in theory, but don't know if it would translate well into practice. With long charge classes, at least would have some interesting team tactics, but I guess encounters would need some tuning.

At the very least they should improve pawn AI, or at least improve reactivity to player orders and remove the dynamic inclinations. Just let the player buy and place slots for the wanted actions. Maybe some basic gambits, simpler than FFXII, but on that spirit.

Co op can be fun in a vacuum, but I find it would take away from the singleplayer game if it's designed around that. I actually don't mind AI being retarded, I almost like it, it kind of makes the player feel more important. Only times it really annoyed was when a monster has a hard-block on damage that is made especially irritating because of the AI never properly using its ability to counter that weakness (i.e those spirits that need magic damage to take damage, your AI have it, but they never finish casting their damn spell and just get interrupted by the spirit over and over).

Generic-Giant-Spider

Co-op would fuck everything up and I'm gonna tell ya why. You may think, "oh the pawns AI are so goofy and do stupid shit I wish this was a real guy it'd be a lot better."

It wouldn't. Have you ever played co-op in games that benefit from teamwork with random people? They're even worse. Imagine screaming for a heal or a weapon enchant and this bozo bitch is too busy having his loli waifu search the bags for a secret softener because they ran into petrification like an idiot.

All the AI needs is work to be less stupid. They can be fixed. A human can't be fixed. A stupid man is a stupid man. They will never learn.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Well another argument is it also makes Souls games way too easy. You end up having to balance for solo play or co-op. Watching 3-4 people take on a boss in a Souls game is shit. Almost no danger healing because the boss ends up switching focus if you run away as opposed to focus constantly being on you all fight long. Removes a lot of the danger and tension in the game as you don't have to be cautious, you can just run around with a group of 3-4 destroying everything on the way to the boss without worrying about estus running out.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I don't think DD was ever trying to be a Souls-like game.
Doesn't matter. The point is it would be trivial to play it that way, because a souls game is much more difficult and people still run through bosses like it's nothing. The same would happen here unless the mobs and bosses were incredibly buffed but even then there is nothing special about the mobs and their mechanics that would make it particularly challenging to play against. Basically it would end up potentially turning into a MMO if they went this route, while still needing to keep it balanced for solo players with pawns for a party. Just wouldn't work.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yes. Came out in 2012 and got hit with the Skyrim/Souls wannabe stigma because you can just materialize a game like DD within six months to follow trends, obv.

Zeriel

Arcane
Souls fans are really a cancer on the gaming world. Constant bleating of "THIS IS THE DARK SOULS OF X", "WOW THIS GAME COPIED DARK SOULS HARD BECAUSE IT HAS A THIRD PERSON PERSPECTIVE AND COMBAT", and "WOW THIS GAME SUCKS BECAUSE IT'S NOT LIKE DARK SOULS".

Grimlorn

Arcane
I love Dark Souls, I love Dragon's Dogma, and yes, they're not very much alike.
No one said they were. I was only pointing out how one aspect of it, a weak aspect of Souls game would end up taking over a DD2 sequel if they went the co-op route, likely ruining the sequel and trivializing the experience. Either that or it would turn into a MMO where you take 5 minutes to kill a boss.

Zeriel

Arcane
I mean are the bosses already very difficult? My recollection is that the AI was basically most useful early on when you are new to the game, and once you reach mid game you are soloing everything anyway as your pawn dicks around doing nothing.

I don't disagree about co op being a bad idea, but in that regard I don't think it would make much difference, you already faceroll to victory.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Souls fans are really a cancer on the gaming world. Constant bleating of "THIS IS THE DARK SOULS OF X", "WOW THIS GAME COPIED DARK SOULS HARD BECAUSE IT HAS A THIRD PERSON PERSPECTIVE AND COMBAT", and "WOW THIS GAME SUCKS BECAUSE IT'S NOT LIKE DARK SOULS".

I do this, but with Vectorman.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I mean are the bosses already very difficult? My recollection is that the AI was basically most useful early on when you are new to the game, and once you reach mid game you are soloing everything anyway as your pawn dicks around doing nothing.
No but there is a vast difference between what your 3 AI pawns can do vs what 3 people could do. I don't know if you've played Souls games, but if you solo them and have a challenging time then watch some video on Youtube of 4 people just running through the bosses in 10 seconds I think you'd understand how trivialized the Dogma experience would become unless they inflated the HP pools of the mobs making it take much longer to kill them which would make it more like a MMO. I prefer the single player experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom