Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

almondblight

Arcane
I'm hoping for the best, but I still wish the two of them would get around to making Copper Dreams one of these days:

geno

Savant
Whalenought_Joe & whalenought_hannah
2021-12-02-22-27-13-whalenoughtstudios-com-a9fc2a4984a8.jpg

I'm confused. I redeemed the Dec 1 key but the August 26 key is different (both entries have the same key)
Was it supposed to be a beta or something? Because I didn't ask to join the beta or anything.

Terenty

Liturgist
Played a couple of hours and so far the game feels very impersonal for lack of a better word. Maybe it's only the beginning, but the dozens of npcs in the streets are completely generic and look rather weird(bright green colour)

Haven't figure out the battle system yet, for example, i couldn't find how many turns i have, how many i spent to attack, how many recovered etc.

I made a melee build and the game consisted of me killing baddies one by one and waiting for my health to regen. Not the most exciting experience.

And maybe i'm missing smth, but there seems to be no cybernetic implants to install??

So far kinda meh

God damn, tutorial killed me a few times. Could possibly be related to the fact that I'm playing a speech-dork (Not going full-Fallout with speech, sneak, and small guns. Mostly speech and organics since it sounds like speech lets you recruit a big mob and organics MIGHT let you keep them going) but a fair few enemies in that seemed to take almost no damage. Even got to the recruiting buddies part of the tutorial and they immediately got killed during combat, not sure if the companion AI is too stupid to reload their guns since I gave them guns and ammo and they just went into melee. Also assuming the tutorial button in the main menu is the same as the in-game tutorial when you talk to the medic, but maybe main menu tutorial would give you a pregen character that handles it better.

Haven't figure out the battle system yet, for example, i couldn't find how many turns i have, how many i spent to attack, how many recovered etc.

And maybe i'm missing smth, but there seems to be no cybernetic implants to install??
Not sure about that either. When you're taking negatives during character creation for example it'll mention things like being slower to jump and shit but how that translates into actual gameplay is harder to gauge since once you pick an action it plays "Real time" until it's complete and you don't know how many "Actions" or whatever actually passed in that span of time.

Not sure about implants. You get the cyber-doodads to bump your skills since there's no XP or regular leveling, but I dunno if we'll get either outright cybernetics or some genetic engineering shit since the planet's full of mutants and they even bring up the genetic engineering in character creation.

Jinn

Arcane
Most of the negative steamtard reviews are complaining about getting filtered by the difficulty in the tutorial. Good sign! I'll finally be able to play in a couple hours. Still excited to try it out for myself despite the rough start the game seems to be getting around here.

Had a little trouble getting my key earlier in the day, but it was resolved within 10 minutes. Hope others that had issues have got it solved too.

Terenty

Liturgist
For a game where every fart is dice rolled there seems to be total lack of any feedback when it comes to any action you take.

No percentage of hitting/missing a target

No info on hacking/charming rolls. I have one die in social and 3 pips and cant charm anyone no matter how many times i roll. Why? Who knows

The map is a complete clusterfuck as well. It's ridiculously tiny and tells you absolutely nothing about your whereabouts. You can put markets on it, but what's the point when you can't see shit?

The jumping is strange too, you can jump through windows(which is very akward), but can't jump on any elevated surfaces like crates etc.

The menu is another wtf. You hit ESC and instead of going into a standard menu with save/load and settings, you open a bizzare screen with a giant pic of a keyboard with controls and some audio/graphics settings. To save and load you need to find a special standalone menu from the game screen.

Very rough

Mortmal

Arcane
Tried to like it but so far its awful and barely playable . First thing i notice after making a ranged character is how little ammo there is and how gun sucks anyway despite having dices in, i managed the first part, the dreadful pixel hunt, and lowering the bridges then you get a message to meet some boss in the south part of town. It's far , no direct path obviously , taking a vehicle and getting out is bugged the game get stuck when you get out half the time ....
You stroll around a vast empty town without any clues . Riots spawn on your way making the vehicle trip even worse if it was possible, sometimes it compltely bugs and theres no more npc . Trying to recruit people , nothing works, no shops, no items , squads of aggresisve goons outmatching me on the way while you cant get anyone on your side. Sometime scratch a vehicle and a deathsquad of cops spawn, sometimes nothing happen . As for why? No idea like pretty much everything in the game.
Incredibly unpolished and rough for something that took so long.

grimace

Arcane
Press release:

London, UK – 2nd December 2021.

The London-based (UK) indie games publisher Modern Wolf and Chicago-based (USA) indie games developer Whalenought Studios, today announced with great pride and delight that their much-anticipated cyberpunk-themed tactical CRPG “Mechajammer” is now available for PC via Steam and GOG.

Danger lurks in every corner of this grimy tactical title, as players attempt to escape the killer jungle planet of Calitana after crash-landing with a crew of Ci-War deserters. Multiple paths can be pursued in this vast open world; create and customise your own character, gather allies, bribe enemies, and successfully complete missions to get off planet. Mechajammer’s unique turn-based combat means that every choice you make will have real-time consequences – so strategise carefully and choose your squad wisely.

All of this and more can be seen in the new launch trailer, which shows off never-before-seen gameplay alongside the specially commissioned track from Ital Tek; an electronic musician whose dark and brutal synthlines could not be a better fit to bring the world of Calitana to life.

As part of the partnership with Ital Tek, Mechajammer players can look forward to a free version of the full track with their download of the game. All of this and more can be seen in the new launch trailer, which shows off never-before-seen gameplay alongside the specially commissioned track from Ital Tek; an electronic musician whose dark and brutal synthlines could not be a better fit to bring the world of Calitana to life.

As part of the partnership with Ital Tek, Mechajammer players can look forward to a free version of the full track with their download of the game.
The concrete jungle of Calitana awaits you in this isometric, immersive sim.

Mechajammer will be available on PC and Linux on Steam, Epic Games Store and GoG from today at £19.99 / $24.99.

About Modern Wolf
Modern Wolf is a publisher of weird and wonderful strategy games, founded in 2019 by Fernando Rizo. Based in London, the Modern Wolf portfolio includes Ostranauts, Rogue State Revolution, Necronator: Dead Wrong, and more.

About Whalenought Studios
Whalenought is Hannah and Joseph Williams. Based in Chicago, they’ve been making RPGs since 2012. Previous titles include the Isle of Bxnes and Serpent in the Staglands.

Mortmal

Arcane
Entered a building noticed there's plenty of npcs stuck inside with their cars.. trying to approach one killed me . What a clusterfuck.

Ninjerk

Arcane
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1222251450
There's my VOD. Melee is pretty cheeseable right now. If you cycle knockout with a regular melee attack on the legs, you just about can't die (Three Hands seems to be able to do about 90 percent of your health in 1 hit if you don't spend anything during character creation to improve that and you don't have a trash can lid). The knife durability combined with that combo means it's >>>>>> pistol with limited ammo, because you get a knife with a variable amount of durability when you kill a melee thug(one I got looks like it must have had 90%+ durability).

Not sure what records you can print in the base but it loads nothing for me. Skip to the end to see why I ragequit :lol:

Fargus

Arcane
I refunded after my eyes have seen the glory of the portraits during character creation. Those are some hideous ass mugs of mystery meat variety lol. Almost sjw nightmare fuel tier.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Also, in case I didn't say so here: windows seemingly can't be interacted with if the side facing the camera is in fog of war (you also can't move to things you can't see, even if you've explored there before).

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Not sure what records you can print in the base but it loads nothing for me. Skip to the end to see why I ragequit :lol:
Lol that was fucking hilarious

Game looks like a mess. If anything good may come out of it, it's that it made me want to get a PSX emulator and revisit some of my old favorites.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In what condition was SotS when it was released? I only played it a year or so later after launch.

Jinn

Arcane
In what condition was SotS when it was released? I only played it a year or so later after launch.

It was just fine for me. Don't remember any major annoyances.

In regards to Mechajammer:
Well, between needing some basic quality of life features like detailed documentation/feedback on attack, lockpicking, hacking, charm, etc. roll information and me soft-locking in a combat in the tutorial, I think I'm going to hold off on this to get some patches before I play any more. Also, numerical representations for things like HP would be much appreciated as well. Don't understand the complaints about difficulty in the tutorial at all though. Barely struggled at all.

I think my biggest problem with it from an overarching systems standpoint at the moment is regenerating HP being integral to the way the game plays out in the long term. I like injuries having at least some impact on this, but I always hate to see regenerating HP in any RPG, let alone a tactical RPG with an emphasis on exploration. There's a lot of promise here, and I'm far from writing off the game. It's just very clear it needs more time in the oven. Too bad, was really looking forward to digging into this.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It was just fine for me. Don't remember any major annoyances.

In regards to Mechajammer:
Well, between needing some basic quality of life features like detailed documentation on attack, lockpicking, hacking, charm, etc. roll information and me soft-locking in a combat in the tutorial, I think I'm going to hold off on this to get some patches before I play any more. Also, numerical representations for things like HP would be much appreciated as well. Don't understand the complaints about difficulty in the tutorial at all though. Barely struggled at all.

I think my biggest problem with it from an overarching systems standpoint at the moment is regenerating HP be integral to the way the game plays out in the longterm. I like injuries having at least some impact on this, but I always hate to see regenerating HP in any RPG, let alone a tactical RPG with an emphasis on exploration. There's a lot of promise here, and I'm far from writing off the game. It's just very clear it needs more time in the oven. Too bad, was really looking forward to digging into this.
How is the actual quest design, level, etc. I do heard the level are a mess.

I have one die in social and 3 pips
That reminds me, it makes no goddamn sense if it works like how it SOUNDS like it does. They say dice are used for skillchecks (And if it's unskilled you get a luck roll of a single die where if you get a 6 it's a success, apparently. Which makes no real sense because if skills are worth investing multiple dice into to improve consistency then a large number of checks should be dramatically harder than 1 in 6 which means you reach a point of it being better to hyper-focus or put absolutely no points into something but WHATEVER NERDS) and pips are a +1 to the result. But they then also say that when you reach 6 pips in a skill it becomes one more die. So that would suggest you move from a flat +5 to a +1-6 which is dramatically worse.

Haven't fucked with the game more after doing a few minutes earlier today since I'm in a bad enough mood today I'm convinced the game would make me murderous.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have one die in social and 3 pips
That reminds me, it makes no goddamn sense if it works like how it SOUNDS like it does. They say dice are used for skillchecks (And if it's unskilled you get a luck roll of a single die where if you get a 6 it's a success, apparently. Which makes no real sense because if skills are worth investing multiple dice into to improve consistency then a large number of checks should be dramatically harder than 1 in 6 which means you reach a point of it being better to hyper-focus or put absolutely no points into something but WHATEVER NERDS) and pips are a +1 to the result. But they then also say that when you reach 6 pips in a skill it becomes one more die. So that would suggest you move from a flat +5 to a +1-6 which is dramatically worse.

Haven't fucked with the game more after doing a few minutes earlier today since I'm in a bad enough mood today I'm convinced the game would make me murderous.

That's an odd mechanic. West End's D6 system used to give you an extra die when you picked up 3 pips since you're starting to get around the average die result already.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Whether it's arcade-y or not, it looks different and interesting. I would take a Mechajammer over a The Outer Worlds every day of the week.

I agree it's different. But I would rather see a game from the original pitch :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom