Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Gaznak

Learned
You know, due to my job biography I had and still have much contact with modern 'corporative culture'. Its main flaw is that no participant ever has at least minimal connection to corporative business, safe money-grabbing. People do not feel themselves as a part of a familly (despite the tenets of corporative religions) or as collaborators or whatever. They just suck blood like fleas and jump over to the next host organism (corporation). They don't care a muck about the future of their previous host organism. There's no real work there, only window-dressing, ultra-fashionable high-technology hyperlaser presentation and the similar shit. There's no strategy, and I fear no tactics even.

GOG isn't different. Upper staff now finally stole a solid lump of money via Cyberpunk swindle, lower staff just doesn't care as ever. Everybody is content. When the curtain finally falls they will just emerge in any other gaming business corporation where nobody doesn't care as well about their GOG story and their role in GOG's crash.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As far as curation goes, one thing you'd think online storefronts could do is have several different curated "front ends" depending on genre etc. For example, you could go to www.gog.com/rpgs and see a bunch of grognard games that aren't visible from the main gog.com page. And of course there'd be a www.gog.com/all if you want to see everything.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
As far as curation goes, one thing you'd think online storefronts could do is have several different curated "front ends" depending on genre etc. For example, you could go to www.gog.com/rpgs and see a bunch of grognard games that aren't visible from the main gog.com page. And of course there'd be a www.gog.com/all if you want to see everything.
That assumes there are grognards working at GOG, though.

lightbane

Arcane
Finally, there's the DRM-free side
Technically, not anymore. Not counting the shistorm with the nu-HITMAN games still requiring connecting to their servers, there's stuff like the nu-BTECH game requiring connecting to Paradox to be allowed to use custom skins. The worst part is that they blatantly lied and didn't tell anyone this would be a thing. I'm sure modern Paradox games have issues like that, if they're in GOG.

Codex Year of the Donut
I never liked that GOG accepted neutered games as a DRM-free alternative. Plenty of GOG games lack features present in the Steam version.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
GOG shot themselves in the foot when they started to have more expensive prices than Steam. DRM free or not, people will go for the cheapest option. They gave people incentive to still buy from them, by adding a few % of the difference in your wallet. Regional pricing was removed in some places. When you revoke that stuff, your store will feel less lucrative. Generally, they did stuff that would draw people in in the short run, but it hurt them in the long run, when they started to backtrack on those incentives.

I sometimes buy stuff from them, but I don't really feel like I must spend my money there.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I wish there were other sources of GOG keys than GOG itself. Like I said before, there are a lot of legit sites for cheap Steam keys that 95% of the time have deeper discounts than Steam itself. I have no idea how that functions or where these sites get their keys from, but hey, it works. Nobody offers GOG bundles or cheaper deals, but I think GOG would attract more customers if they did.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wish there were other sources of GOG keys than GOG itself. Like I said before, there are a lot of legit sites for cheap Steam keys that 95% of the time have deeper discounts than Steam itself. I have no idea how that functions or where these sites get their keys from, but hey, it works. Nobody offers GOG bundles or cheaper deals, but I think GOG would attract more customers if they did.
Without a doubt. I was going to point that out in my previous post, but refrained from doing so.

With isthereanydeal.com I can look up very cheap Steam prices. It tracks most Steam key resellers, but not shadier sites. I also have a wish list on cdkeys.com (I also just found eneba, but I haven't used it.)
Usually, the prices on there are much cheaper than Steam itself.
If GOG offered a similar way to get keys for their store, they might have a better chance of attracting more customers.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Eneba is one of the shadier ones ;d You can use gg.deals for the same thing and they always list legit sites alongside shadier ones.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Thanks.
Maybe I'll dream about return of the king.
iu

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Thanks.
Maybe I'll dream about return of the king.
iu

This time a long time ago far away
In castles they'd rule population
Bearing steel, the knights held the border strong
Highest honors

Loyalty for their King and country
A kind of magic there
Battles would rage and the strong would survive
Life's always lost on the frontline

Fearless eyes shadowed souls
Knights of the Round Table

Holding fortress in measured armor
They stand so all alone
Fear is nothing for knights
With broadswords and banners flying high

Courage in forms no one would ever know
Strength their only salvation

And in death they'd never die
And for truth they'd all survive
All the pride showed in their eyes
All the faith would rule their lives
Now today is such on another time
No more knights to keep this world alive

So look inside your memories
The love and hate
There is knight in everyone
Just let him come forth

And when you feel his presence there
Don't turn and run oh no
The Knight is good, the Knight is fair
They're needed everywhere

Now the time has come
For the Knights to make a stand
To defend the land
And they will know when
The time has come to disappear
But they're always near

And in death they'd never die
And for truth they'd all survive
All the pride showed in their eyes
All the faith would rule their lives
Now today is such on another time
No more knights to keep this world alive

Boleskine

Arcane
GoG should've kept picking up games like Knights of the Chalice, S&S: Underworld, Solium Infernum... newer games made in the old-school style. They should've kept the old ones and be able to suggest newer proposals in the same vein. This would make them unique and they could also stay small. The decision to expand by effectively losing their identity was ridiculous.

Once GOG management's priority shifted from serving their loyal customers to profit-driven expansion at all costs, the decline was irreversibly set in motion. The people calling the shots no longer cared about the business, only the profit margins... and they clearly failed miserably at that.

GOG could have grown steadily and attracted new users while maintaining the core relationship they had with existing customers. Instead they spread themselves too thin with feature-creeping Galaxy client development, a rapidly growing catalog, a poorly designed website with bad search/sorting options, selling movies (didn't last long), providing support for broken releases of newer games, reimbursing customers through the fair price package program as a result of adding regional pricing (discontinued 2-3 years ago), and so on.

All this shit and they never bothered to upgrade their horribly outdated forums.

Endemic

Arcane

Fanatical have them once in a blue moon.

lightbane

Arcane
Welp, I'm surprised. Maybe Rance games might come to GOG some day, as a bunch of Kagura games have been released to GOG, including the deconsering patches.
https://af.gog.com/news/4_engaging_titles_from_kagura_games_are_here?as=1649904300
More spicy adventures are coming your way. Today four great titles from Kagura Games arrived on GOG.COM:• Summer Memories Deluxe Edition (-30%)
Treasure Hunter Claire (-50%)
Ideology in Friction Deluxe Edition (-50%)
Dungeon Town (-20%)
Discounts on all titles mentioned above will be valid until 10th December 2021, 2 PM UTC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom