Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why set a game in Boston?

A horse of course

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Which makes it that much more hilarious when they make the game world look like the Mojave Desert. Apparently none of them go outdoors very often.
That was one of my main issues with Oblivion. The map was covered in forests that did not look like forests at all. I felt like none of the designers had a walk outside for years.

Ash

Arcane
Deus Ex Invisible War...so tragic. Still to this date probably my biggest gaming disappointment.

Norfleet

Which makes it that much more hilarious when they make the game world look like the Mojave Desert. Apparently none of them go outdoors very often.
That was one of my main issues with Oblivion. The map was covered in forests that did not look like forests at all. I felt like none of the designers had a walk outside for years.
They're game developers. What makes you think this isn't true?

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
They're game developers. What makes you think this isn't true?
I would have expected that out of all the developers and creative staff at least one person had basic interest in hiking or even taking the children out to the local nature patch. Or maybe since they bought a fucking speedtree license to have great-looking trees they would have gone the extra way to remove their head from their asses and looked at pictures of said trees on google.

Ah well, back to the thread. Are there forests in Boston ?

dacencora

Boston is a fantastic city, among the best in the USA. The accent is fun, come on now. It’s a whole lot cleaner than NYC and IMO a lot more charming. What’s not to like about Boston?

Otterhedgehog

Novice

For a country so devoid of history and traditions Boston is one of the few places that has a semblance of historical legacy to it. Definitely a good place to look at if you're exploring the American Revolution or National Identity.

Boston is both a historical city, and small enough to walk across in a couple hours. It's just got so much historical shit packed into a small package. It also has a recognizable accent that everyone does a horrible job of (I mean, of course). It's fairly central in new england.

And much like New York, people living elsewhere imagine there is one boston accent, but there's practically a different accent per city block, and even more so the further out you get. The maine accent is certainly "New England" sounding, but it's very different from the boston accent spoken by a businessman, which is different from the accent you'll hear from the townies at the bar.

All regional accents are trashy and gross.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
This is a dumb question. It is one of the older cities in the United States so it has history that isn't entirely based on meth houses and interstate, so you have a lot of narrative hooks to play with. Why set a game in Oklahoma City? That is a good question. Don't do it. That one would actually be retarded.

Zlaja

Arcane
When I think of Boston, the first things that come to mind are Larry Bird and the Church of Satan the DNC.

Falksi

Arcane
Boston looks ace. Full of culture and pissed up mick twats up for a scrap. Would love to visit it some day.

dacencora

Boston looks ace. Full of culture and pissed up mick twats up for a scrap. Would love to visit it some day.
It’s well worth it. Not only is it super cool to walk around downtown and see the Green and the “hawbah” but the surrounding cities are very cool too! Cambridge, Concord, Marblehead, and Salem are all well worth seeing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom