Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the most UNDERrated RPG on the codex?

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Daggerfall, I mean look at this fucking dungeon. This is what life is about.
nxu53wuc7ol51.jpg

Undertale is one of the best games ever made, although I understand people don't like it because it's genuine tumblr sjw stuff. It is very sincere and touching and it's puzzles genuinely test cognitive empathy as a skill which is extraordinarily unique and refreshing.

I'd say poe2 but it got #45 on the list so maybe not. I think it's a very good game though. Yeah the homogenisation sucks and the main quest is garbage but if you approach it like an open world game rather than a standard multi act crpg it's very good imo.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Escape From The Pit
Geneforge

I think Spiderweb Software games in general are underrated here. Sure, the recent offerings are terrible by Codex standards, but the Exile/Avernum and Geneforge series are great. I also think Nethergate is solid. Not seeing a single one of these entries in the top 50 is a travesty.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Nearly every game released before 1998 is underrated on the Codex, but I will cite in particular Dungeon Master (1987) which appeared on both the Codex's top CRPGs of all time lists but only as #59 in 2014 and as #62 in 2019. Dungeon Master founded the real-time blobber subgenre, remains the best game ever created in its subgenre, and was extraordinarily innovative, not least for its user interface, including the "paper-doll" inventory, that would eventually be widely copied and lead to dramatic improvement in the typical CRPG interface over the course of the 1990s. It also has probably the best exploration of any game ever made.

VehXEyN.jpg
YYLI2T4.png

Although Dungeon Master has for long been abandonware, it can easily be played on Windows via the Return to Chaos clone.

vazha

Arcane
Blackguards 2. Sure, it's not as good as the original, but it certainly didn't deserve to be dismissed out of hand like it happened both here and on Steam.

Spiders / Cyanide games, esp. Of Orcs and Men and GOT RPG. Both are excellent.

The Dark Eye: Demonicon. Much better than expected / rated here. Very atmospheric.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Escape From The Pit
Geneforge

I think Spiderweb Software games in general are underrated here. Sure, the recent offerings are terrible by Codex standards, but the Exile/Avernum and Geneforge series are great. I also think Nethergate is solid. Not seeing a single one of these entries in the top 50 is a travesty.

That's because there is so many of them and they are often quite similar, at least within each series. Probably votes are divided between numerous games, hence only Geneforge 1 gets into the top 100.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I wish some of the late 80s and 90s games made our top CRPG lists, such as more of the Gold Box games (only 2 on list), Phantasie trilogy, Angband, the Magic Candle, Disciples of Steel, and so on. At least to give them the attention they deserve. But except for a few games (Dragon's Age, Neverwinter NIghts 1 and 2, KOTOR), I really think the Codex best CRPG lists from 2014 and 2019 are pretty good, and I wouldn't want to see most of them bumped out to make room.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
A lot of good suggestions here. Dungeon Master does deserve to be in the top 10, of course, but its still understood as one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Truly underrated would be those not acknowledged at all. Something like Phantasie or Exile.
Though I say that and none of the individual games in those series jump out as being much more amazing than the rest compared to the highlights of the Wizardry or Ultima series, which may perhaps have a role in it.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Dragon Wars. Gets lots of mentions here from some of us old timers but no real love from the 'dex generation. Give it a Krome Studios remaster and y'all would be fap fap a'fapping to it.

Black Angel

Arcane
We could probably pick up several titles from the JRPG subforum, all because they were made by Japanese, and that's not even considering that some of them aren't even J-"RPG".

Edit: in case someone misunderstood that last part; I'm just saying, not suggesting that an underrated RPG by Codex's standard (lol) is not even "RPG".

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Atlet

Self-Ejected
Vatnik
Those 80s titles are very hard to get into if you didnt play them originally :/

Why do you love them so much? I read a lot that they were innovative at time, but since we are already used to these things, whats the point in playing them today? What they do best than the newer titles?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Those 80s titles are very hard to get into if you didnt play them originally :/

Why do you love them so much? I read a lot that they were innovative at time, but since we are already used to these things, whats the point in playing them today? What they do best than the newer titles?
They're usually more demanding of the player, not just in terms of combat or puzzle difficulty, but in having to take notes, draw maps, or refer to the manual regularly. I want RPGs to have that kind of friction otherwise I'll slide off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom