Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales Of ... series - Vesperia out on Steam

Sykar

Arcane
Never played any Tales game. As someone who enjoyed a lot of jRPGs on the SNES, though mostly stuff like FF and CT, is it worthwhile trying out some of them?

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Never played any Tales game. As someone who enjoyed a lot of jRPGs on the SNES, though mostly stuff like FF and CT, is it worthwhile trying out some of them?

If you're adamant about turn-based, I'd be inclined to say no, play Trails instead.
If you think you would enjoy a more casual action-y gameplay, go for it. General lore and worldbuilding is reminiscent of FF.

Sykar

Arcane
I just finished the Trials of Mana Remake yesterday and found it enjoyable. Also played and finished SoM back in the 90s on my SNES and a couple of months ago stumbled upon the Trials of Mana SNES translated ROM which was also enjoyable. So I am not a strict turn based enthusiast. Hell I do enjoy me some RTwP despite quite a few codexers condemning it to the 9th pit of hell.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I just finished the Trials of Mana Remake yesterday and found it enjoyable. Also played and finished SoM back in the 90s on my SNES and a couple of months ago stumbled upon the Trials of Mana SNES translated ROM which was also enjoyable. So I am not a strict turn based enthusiast. Hell I do enjoy me some RTwP despite quite a few codexers condemning it to the 9th pit of hell.

You'll have fun with Tales then, the good games in the series are definitely superior to Mana in almost every respect.

Sykar

Arcane

You'll have fun with Tales then, the good games in the series are definitely superior to Mana in almost every respect.

So is this like FF series where it does not matter much where you start since all games are self contained?

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

So is this like FF series where it does not matter much where you start since all games are self contained?

Yes! There are some references to past games here and there, but it's all self contained. You're good to start anywhere you might find most appeasing. Vesperia is probably the safe choice.

Sykar

Arcane
Well part of what I enjoyed of FF 4-6 were the magic system and in FF 5 the job system which made character development very flexible. Any Tales game having decent to good magic system and character progression system, or are some or all of them very fixed/simple in that regard?

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Well part of what I enjoyed of FF 4-6 were the magic system and in FF 5 the job system which made character development very flexible. Any Tales game having decent to good magic system and character progression system, or are some or all of them very fixed/simple in that regard?

Hmmm. Character progression in Tales is definitely simpler than FF in that regard.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Stuck on Ganabelt now :negative:
His limit break attack wipes me. I think I'm supposed to kill the clones he spawns, but they barely take any damage while he's channeling. I must be woefully underleveled or something.

Jinn

Arcane
His limit break attack wipes me. I think I'm supposed to kill the clones he spawns, but they barely take any damage while he's channeling. I must be woefully underleveled or something.

I think for a number of reasons, that fight ended up the hardest in the game for me, on the hardest difficulty of course. Fucking fantastic fight.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I think for a number of reasons, that fight ended up the hardest in the game for me, on the hardest difficulty of course. Fucking fantastic fight.

Is there a merchant in that building at all? Don't think consumables will save me but might as well try.

Jinn

Arcane
Is there a merchant in that building at all? Don't think consumables will save me but might as well try.

As far as I recall, you can leave the mansion at any time and go back to the merchant that's in town. Wish I could remember what level I was when I took him out for you, but it was too long ago now. I didn't do any major grinding for it though, beyond the normal fighting every encounter I came across.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

As far as I recall, you can leave the mansion at any time and go back to the merchant that's in town. Wish I could remember what level I was when I took him out for you, but it was too long ago now. I didn't do any major grinding for it though, beyond the normal fighting every encounter I came across.

I'm L17. Me losing has to be because I'm just being shit and not utilizing the characters to their fullest extent.

Ysaye

Arbiter

I'm L17. Me losing has to be because I'm just being shit and not utilizing the characters to their fullest extent.

It is generally regarded as the hardest boss fight. I had some item which healed everyone by 2000(?) HP and that sort of got everyone back up again through that battle after he did his big spell. Of course if you are lucky you can cancel him with Rinwell as well.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

It is generally regarded as the hardest boss fight. I had some item which healed everyone by 2000(?) HP and that sort of got everyone back up again through that battle after he did his big spell. Of course if you are lucky you can cancel him with Rinwell as well.

This it? As far as I can tell, it doesn't work for revives and just spamming life bottles is not enough because of consumable cooldown+15 consumable cap.

image.png

Falksi

Arcane

Almost.

Tales of Berseria is a prequel to Zesteria. I played Berseria first, then Zesteria and it helped me enjoy Zesteria more knowing the backstory behind a few of the situations (in particular, facing one optional boss carries FAR more weight if you know the backstory behind it).

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I did look at some guides online and it appears the general strategy in Arise is to indeed stick with one character instead of switching like you would do in Berseria, so at least I'm not fucking up on that front by focusing on Alphen.

Ysaye

Arbiter

This it? As far as I can tell, it doesn't work for revives and just spamming life bottles is not enough because of consumable cooldown+15 consumable cap.

image.png

Yes I think so - what I did was made sure that when started doing his big spell to have everyone as healed up as possible, then when he cast it it reduced everyone to close to zero but I was ready to then chuck that one on immediately and get back to slashing.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yes I think so - what I did was made sure that when started doing his big spell to have everyone as healed up as possible, then when he cast it it reduced everyone to close to zero but I was ready to then chuck that one on immediately and get back to slashing.

Thanks, I'll see if that works.

:despair:

Lincolnberry

Educated
Finished Arise this evening on moderate. Overall, I was fairly disappointed by how it finished after what I thought was a strong start. Combat is definitely good but I was still pretty tired of it by the end and have little interest in continuing to the post game content.

Feels like they ran out of budget and/or time - the first half really is set up well but starting on the 4th Lord it really feels like everything is truncated. Tend to agree with the consensus view that the overall experience only ends up being solid rather than great, due to the second half.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I tried Vesperia and didn't like the combat. It seemed messy and it was in a middle ground between straight up action and rtwp and that is not for me. Is Arise's combat different?

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I just got Tales of Berseria. I didn't got anywhere, just go to the first save point and this game's probably has the weirdest control scheme ever for PC.

Any tips? Is this game a good start place ? I heard some good things about Berseria..

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I just got Tales of Berseria. I didn't got anywhere, just go to the first save point and this game's probably has the weirdest control scheme ever for PC.

Any tips? Is this game a good start place ? I heard some good things about Berseria..

Combat might take a while to get used to (2-3 hours minimum). It's all about whether you find the characters interesting or not. That's the impetus.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
So .. I'm kinda hooked already. I was not expecting such dark backstory to such generic looking JRPG at first. lmao But i'm quite impressed honestly and already quite enjoy Velvet (or Guts from Berserk with Boobs) and Rokurou , but i want to kick Maligou in the face.
It's all about whether you find the characters interesting or not
Well , the game did a pretty good job with that first two hours or so. I hope it continues being as good.

Also the game being self aware of Velvet's stupid outfit is cute.. Inded girl , put some cloths on shit looks cold af.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom