Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the most UNDERrated RPG on the codex?

Codex Year of the Donut
If we're dealing in terms of overall legacy/impact, it's Ultima Underworld no contest. Easily one of the most important video games ever made, you can't throw a rock without hitting a game either directly or indirectly influenced by it.

It also received, I believe but may be wrong, the highest score a cRPG ever got in Dragon magazine -- a 6/5.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Third for might and magic X
Still don't get why none no one liked it. For me it captured a lot of the feeling of mm3-5, even with all the constraints (being a modern ubishit game in unity). Can't think of another game that had this classic crpg feeling. Aside from Grimoire of course!

Also I think Kenshi, Space Rangers and a ton of rogue likes (IVAN!) don't get the love they deserve here, but they aren't really crpgs

jackofshadows

Magister
low lethality
*whisper* minmaaaax, bro. On a more serious note - that's more tacticool approach for you, I appreciated it. Closer to the end you should start to one-shot packs anyway - the feeling of the older games.

ELEX

QsqZZ8C.jpg

Sinatar

Arbiter
Wizards & Warriors

- Best dungeon design I've ever seen in an RPG
- Great class system and character progression
- Solid itemization
- Combat is fast and reasonably entertaining
- You can be a kung fu fighting elephant man

Mja8yIZ.jpg

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Might & Magic X I found too linear, too low lethality and honestly I rather re play M&M VI~VIII.
I can understand. Bit for me legality was never the point in mm. That is more of a thing in wizardry. MM was always about exploration for me. And I never really jelled with the switch to real time. The series lost something when it abandoned grid movement

YldrE

Learned
Sword Coast Legends is a great romp. Gorgeous visuals and OST, hyperfunctional UI and controls, straightforward writing with no tumors like romances.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
the Technomancer
I fully understand why this will never be popular here. It requires a certain appreciation of both the (earlier) bioware formula and jank.
One of my favorite games though.
that its underrated wasnt my impression. It seem quite popular on dex.

also this game cured my completionist side, ever since my enjoyment from rpgs is greater

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sword Coast Legends is a great romp. Gorgeous visuals and OST, hyperfunctional UI and controls, straightforward writing with no tumors like romances.

5E is already dumbed down enough. They promised 5E and delivered a low lethality D3 clone with slight more rpg elements on it. Cooldowns instead of spell slots, no skill checks monsters surviving dozens of fireballs...

Sjukob

Arcane
Space sims are not RPGs.
Lol, the text quests in Space Rangers alone offer more roleplaying options than some of the games from "Codex top 70 rpgs list", especially things like prison and master of iike-baana.

but it's writing sucks.
Are we even talking about the same game? Because in Space Rangers writing is all around good and is one of the stronger points of the game. Did you play the game in english by chance? I suspect that the english translation might be pretty shit, because hardly anyone bothered with it. Also, there's a great deal of cultural references in the game too, which are very likely to be lost in translation too.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Those 80s titles are very hard to get into if you didnt play them originally :/

Why do you love them so much? I read a lot that they were innovative at time, but since we are already used to these things, whats the point in playing them today? What they do best than the newer titles?
For Dungeon Master, I would say that's because the dungeon design is just unsurpassed. I have just not seen a game with a dungeon as good as DM's. Its not nostalgia on my part, I only played it earlier this year and it was made before I was born. The spellcasting system is very dynamic, imperfectly so, but I don't think anyone ever built upon it.

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik

5E is already dumbed down enough. They promised 5E and delivered a low lethality D3 clone with slight more rpg elements on it. Cooldowns instead of spell slots, no skill checks monsters surviving dozens of fireballs...

who cares if a monster survives or not dozens of fireballs? whats important is to have fun, its anot about following some autistic low lethality system. I particularly enjoy long battles.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

who cares if a monster survives or not dozens of fireballs? whats important is to have fun, its anot about following some autistic low lethality system. I particularly enjoy long battles.

I care. It takes out the entire tension from combat and power fantasy and delivers nothing in return.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
nah it's shit
my achievements for beating it are some of the rarest I have on steam btw :M

You beat Sword Coast Legends? Really? :salute:

I bought it for like $5 figuring it couldn't be that bad. I played for a few hours before I uninstalled it. Should've asked for a refund before I hit two hours, but I figured some day I'd work myself up to powering through it. That day hasn't yet come.

Codex Year of the Donut
nah it's shit
my achievements for beating it are some of the rarest I have on steam btw :M

You beat Sword Coast Legends? Really? :salute:

I bought it for like $5 figuring it couldn't be that bad. I played for a few hours before I uninstalled it. Should've asked for a refund before I hit two hours, but I figured some day I'd work myself up to powering through it. That day hasn't yet come.
It's pretty short, I only have 28 hours played. The DLCs are unfinished.

wishbonetail

Learned
There is no other game like Space Rangers, you cannot dismiss it as just another space sim. It is a simultaneous TURN BASED space sim for starters, with economy better than any space sim aside from X3. And its level of NPC simulation puts Godd Toward and Gothic series to shame. And there's NO other game with such amount of elaborate text quests. Most of these quests could be a stand-alone games in different genres. There're rpgs, strategies, managerial, adventures whatever your heart want. And it is TURN BASED. And it has full fledged RTS and Arcade elements, which can be ignored if you're not into these stuff. It is a colossus of a game, which level of uniquieness rivals that of Arcanum and original Fallout. And did I mention that it is TURN BASED?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom