Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I apologize if I have misunderstood your post but it comes across as all games from Bethesda as bad and that would be almost impossible to be true? I am not trying to catch you out but thats means you believe the following games are all bad
That's the opposite of what Templar said. He said all Bethesda games are good and every game not made by Bethesda is overrated.

BruceVC

Magister
I apologize if I have misunderstood your post but it comes across as all games from Bethesda as bad and that would be almost impossible to be true? I am not trying to catch you out but thats means you believe the following games are all bad
That's the opposite of what Templar said. He said all Bethesda games are good and every game not made by Bethesda is overrated.
You right, thanks for pointing out my mistake ....I misread it but I am glad because it was a hard view to believe with my oversight

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You right, thanks for pointing out my mistake ....I misread it but I am glad because it was a hard view to believe with my oversight

Here? I'm more surprised when people don't say things like that on the Codex.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I thought BG1 would at least rank closer due to its reduced level advancement making for more difficult and less magic heavy battles.

State effect spells decide the outcome of the battle in BG 1. Most of the gameplay was spamming state effect spells before enemy mages do the same.

We must have played different versions of the game. Did you play the Playstation version?

Witcher 3. That game makes me seethe so much. It's SO tepid. Not even enough of a piece of shit to make fun of. Cyberbug 2077 was a more fun game upon release due to being a broken mess (and overall terrible game with some baffling design choices), and every few seconds you would find something to rip on.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Baldur's Gate 1 is one of the blandest and boringest RPGs ever made. I don't see why it's so popular, especially considering the fact that every other Infinity Engine RPG is better: BG2 has better quests and atmosphere, PST has better story and writing, IWD games have better combat.
The only noteworthy thing about BG1 is the fact that it's the first game using that engine, and it has the reputation of resurrecting the genre after the mid 90s stagnation. But other than that?

Encounters are mostly filler. The exploration consists of walking through mostly empty wilderness areas filled with generic goblins, bandits, and xvarts or whatever they're called. Little story encounters usually consist of some dude approaching you, saying some generic stuff, then walking away - no choice and consequence in the dialogue, not even any relevant information, just pointless fluff that feels incredibly generic. Visually the game looks extremely generic too, pseudo-medieval fantasyland with no real identity. Everything about the game feels like "my first D&D campaign" designed by a first-time DM and intended for first-time players. Several of the dungeons are utterly terrible mazes that fuck up the pathfinding of your 6 character party, the hallways are way too narrow for an isometric game... it's like someone designed them for an Eye of the Beholder game, where these narrow hallways would be appropriate.

Even the Gold Box games felt more interesting in their writing, and were leagues better when it comes to combat (RTwP for D&D isn't even half as fun as proper turn based) and encounter design.
If you do enjoy the combat, then the IWD games offer you a much better experience, and BG2 is also way more interesting when it comes to encounters: more cool shit, less boring generic filler.

BG1 is one of those games where the popularity can only be explained with nostalgia.

Codex Year of the Donut
By the time you get to the fun parts of BG1 you're already at level cap too.

Considered separately, I thought Tales of Sword Coast was great.

dacencora

Baldur's Gate 1 is one of the blandest and boringest RPGs ever made. I don't see why it's so popular, especially considering the fact that every other Infinity Engine RPG is better: BG2 has better quests and atmosphere, PST has better story and writing, IWD games have better combat.
The only noteworthy thing about BG1 is the fact that it's the first game using that engine, and it has the reputation of resurrecting the genre after the mid 90s stagnation. But other than that?

Encounters are mostly filler. The exploration consists of walking through mostly empty wilderness areas filled with generic goblins, bandits, and xvarts or whatever they're called. Little story encounters usually consist of some dude approaching you, saying some generic stuff, then walking away - no choice and consequence in the dialogue, not even any relevant information, just pointless fluff that feels incredibly generic. Visually the game looks extremely generic too, pseudo-medieval fantasyland with no real identity. Everything about the game feels like "my first D&D campaign" designed by a first-time DM and intended for first-time players. Several of the dungeons are utterly terrible mazes that fuck up the pathfinding of your 6 character party, the hallways are way too narrow for an isometric game... it's like someone designed them for an Eye of the Beholder game, where these narrow hallways would be appropriate.

Even the Gold Box games felt more interesting in their writing, and were leagues better when it comes to combat (RTwP for D&D isn't even half as fun as proper turn based) and encounter design.
If you do enjoy the combat, then the IWD games offer you a much better experience, and BG2 is also way more interesting when it comes to encounters: more cool shit, less boring generic filler.

BG1 is one of those games where the popularity can only be explained with nostalgia.
I played it for the first time a couple of years ago. There's something fun and magical about the experience. I agree that it is perhaps a bit generic, but, personally, I like fantasy soup. It felt like a fun adventure the whole way through. Yes, predictable, but it was fun to play a game that wasn't trying so hard to be something it wasn't. The narrated beginning really really adds to the experience and running around in Candlekeep is something I'll never forget. I also thought the "Iron Crisis" was a fun and imaginative early game challenge. For me, as a first player, I was hitting stuff with my sword and it broke! Which was a fun reinforcement of the dialogue about the Iron Crisis. I actually loved the really simple, generic plot. You were trying to figure out why the iron was being corrupted and who was behind it. I really enjoyed the cast of characters and the combat was serviceable enough. That beginning sequence between Gorion and Sarevok was fun and very memorable. It was campy in the best ways, for me. Very charming.

I really like BG2, a lot, but I felt that the adventuring in the wilderness feeling was not as strong as it was in BG1. I just really liked that feeling. The first map in BG1 is fun. Yeah, it's a generic forest, but you're dropped into it with fragile weapons, very little experience and you only have Imoen to accompany you.

BG2 is much more epic in scope and the adventure through the different areas of the FR is a TON of fun! I loved that too, but I really really enjoyed BG1 for different reasons.

jackofshadows

Magister
Baldur's Gate 1 is one of the blandest and boringest RPGs ever made. I don't see why it's so popular
Visually the game looks extremely generic too, pseudo-medieval fantasyland with no real identity.
You've aswered your own question right away. For the same reason plebs like Oblivion. They want their bland and generic fantasy setting to mess around. Same goes for the "first D&D campaign" stuff. Needless to remind it's their goal - to deliver exactly that experience. It's not a game for players with taste, it's for the newbs. And also - production values. Backdrops are amazing, nice sfx, animation etc. The plot is actually great, it's the "low-level" writing that suck.

Funposter

Arcane
Fallout 2: This one always makes people butthurt, but I just think that for every good idea or new feature added to the game, there's two bad, stupid or otherwise objectionable ideas. Talking Deathclaws, Kung-Fu San Francisco, New Reno being full of literal mobsters, everything related to the Tribals being actual stone-age savages. It certainly has more going on mechanically than the original Fallout, but it loses a lot of what made the setting interesting and I miss the more down-to-Earth and matter-of-fact tone of the first game. I don't hate it or anything, but I think it's noticeably worse than every other game in the top 10 of the Top 101 CRPGs list from a couple of years ago.

The Witcher 3: It's OK. It's not really much of an RPG, more like GTA with Swords and some dialogue options. I think it's fun, but surely people were just tricked by the pretty graphics.

Dark Souls 2: There are people on this website who like this abortion of a game.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I first played BG a year ago and it instantly became my favourite rpg so it's definitely not nostalgia. BG1 is good for many reasons. It has excellent overworld exploration with many interesting encounters and creatures that beats out most/all open world games. The dialogue is incredibly basic but the quests themselves are imo quite interesting and I enjoy piecing together the conspiracy through the letters and communication between the enemy characters. It has a unique player posturing in RPGS by at times giving the player initiative and posturing the pc as a character who's pushing things forward. Rather than simply being strung along by the villain you find out about his plans and actively interfere with them. This gives a nice ebb and flow to the proxy war between you and Sarevok. And most importantly low level d&d is a beautiful sacred thing that every game treats as a fun little thing to play around with for 2 hours until you get into the high fantasy shit. By having an entire game based around low level d&d Baldur's Gate executes what makes low level d&d so great in a way no other game does. (Which means high lethality, lots of micro, lots of resource management, and making proper use of consumables.)

BG2 is better overall, it has a genuinely great story whereas BG's is just sort of there, but BG is great at what it is. A low level d&d exploration game.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I first played BG a year ago and it instantly became my favourite rpg so it's definitely not nostalgia. BG1 is good for many reasons. It has excellent overworld exploration with many interesting encounters and creatures that beats out most/all open world games. The dialogue is incredibly basic but the quests themselves are imo quite interesting and I enjoy piecing together the conspiracy through the letters and communication between the enemy characters. It has a unique player posturing in RPGS by at times giving the player initiative and posturing the pc as a character who's pushing things forward. Rather than simply being strung along by the villain you find out about his plans and actively interfere with them. This gives a nice ebb and flow to the proxy war between you and Sarevok. And most importantly low level d&d is a beautiful sacred thing that every game treats as a fun little thing to play around with for 2 hours until you get into the high fantasy shit. By having an entire game based around low level d&d Baldur's Gate executes what makes low level d&d so great in a way no other game does. (Which means high lethality, lots of micro, lots of resource management, and making proper use of consumables.)

BG2 is better overall, it has a genuinely great story whereas BG's is just sort of there, but BG is great at what it is. A low level d&d exploration game.
I played it for the first time 2 years ago and had quite a bit of fun with it. I felt it was a charming little game with some annoyances (ranged spam on map traversal if you got the right encounter result). I had played BG2 as a teenager (probably not terribly far into the game).

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Dark Souls 2: There are people on this website who like this abortion of a game.

Yes, because repeatedly beating the same person over and over via invasions and noticing he/she/xir eventually stopped trying to fight in sheer frustration is a rush no other game ever managed to provide. Non-consensual PvP is best PvP. That and the absolute chaos and insanity of the Bellbro covenant. Co-op is fun too, when you're tired of ruining other ppl's games. Bonus points for co-oping with the guy you just invaded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom