Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Outriders - co-op RPG shooter from People Can Fly

Generic-Giant-Spider

Oh Yahweh, for what sin have I committed that every sci-fi looter shooter must look like a gay rave?

Codex Year of the Donut
Gun play feels better in destiny but I've enjoyed the loot and character abilities way more in Outriders. Except for snipers I enjoy using sniper rifles way more in Outriders for some reason.

Decent time waster if your between games and don't have any specific one to really focus on. Curious to see how they handle post game content and if it'll be fear of missing out season pass bullshit like Destiny with "had to be there" to play the story missions and know whats even going on in the plot anymore.
I don't even consider Destiny to be in the same genre as outriders/division/etc., It has no real stats beyond your light level, the gear/abilities are very simplistic. It's just an FPS with a treadmill attached.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ha, reading further into this, it appears they've just done a huge round of nerfs. Doesn't seem like such a good idea when the game's already had a lot of problems on launch.

I was ruminating on why Warframe has had such steady, sustained success as a looter-shooter, while there are so many others that are coming and going like mayflies. I think it's because developers have a hangover idea from the days of MMOs that you need to kind of stretch things out to keep people in the game. That sort of works with MMOs because with MMOs the focus is more on the virtual world, and then at the endgame the camaraderie that develops between players in guilds.

But with games like this, it's all about the power fantasy, and that's a thing of being in the moment. IOW, with this type of game, it's about inducing a trance state in the player, and if the trance state feels good, the player will just automatically keep pressing the lever again and again, and that's how you get the longevity (so long as you add some fresh content now and then ofc). DE seem to understand this in a way that other developers who are trying their hand at the genre don't. (Not that DE are perfect, they've made lots of mistakes, but they just seem to keep chugging along while other attempts at the genre are so fleeting in comparison. Even though DE Scott has the burden of nerfing, one never feels he's doing it for the sly reason of keeping players playing longer, but just that he's laboriously just trying to keep everything in some sort of balance for the sake of it, which I think players accept - whereas they resent being manipulated by tricks into playing longer, and only keep playing so long as they feel that power fantasy trance.)

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Further on the same topic: let's say, all games have some sort of blend of cerebral and visceral gameplay. With a classic RPG it's mostly cerebral and a bit visceral. Most of the time the engagement is with your mind thinking about this and that, summing things up and comparing them, pondering choices; and then in the gameplay itself (particularly with turn-based) you're pondering all your options and picking the best one, figuring out a Plan A and a Plan B. There's also some fun from good visuals and ka-booms, it's nice to have those little payoffs too, but they're secondary to the feeling of mental engagement and "time binding" (projecting a goal into the future and doing things to achieve that goal).

With this type of game, it's the other way round - in fact it's so much the other way round that there's an apparent paradox. It seems on the surface like the looter-shooter is about progression too. And there is a phase of that in these games for sure - there are times when you're back at base pondering this and that, and there's a feeling of anticipation of loot before a mission. But the actual meat of the gameplay is in the visuals and ka-booms, and in particular, because twitch skills are more involved, in the feeling of "throwing shapes" while you're playing (doing the tricky maneuver just right, timing this or that just right, killing efficiently, etc.). So it's that visceral feeling of being in the moment that keeps you playing, because you want to experience that again and again and again.

Codex Year of the Donut
it depends on the speed of the game
games like division are slower and more about gear
warframe is faster and more about the flash and big booties

Generic-Giant-Spider

Is there anything more intensely autistic than nerfing the player in a PvE game?

Generic-Giant-Spider

If power creep is an issue for a game that's barely two weeks old then that says a lot about the game.

It's not even power creep, since that implies content that comes later making the older content obsolete. Instead people were clearing the hardest content in mediocre gear and some starter offensive skills, with little effort. It's different from a Sawyerite dev obsessively tuning everything to perfect balance because the warrior cannot have an easier time with enemy groups than a rogue.

Bara

Arcane
Well got through the main story apparently there's more but it's all time trial style missions so not sure if I'm going to bother with that.

Only one part I'd say was memorable of the story
And that was just the visuals of when you get to the desert city and see that the planet storm ripped the water out of the land its its floating around above ground. What once was forest jungle area now turned desert with sands sweeping over boats and the town itself.

I'm going to shameless steel that visual for a ttrpg session that was pretty neat.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...les-hasnt-been-paid-royalties-by-square-enix/

Outrider developer People Can Fly haven’t been paid royalties

Outriders did appear to have the wind at its back, launching with over 120,000 players on Steam, quadruple what a comparable game like Marvel’s Avengers did at launch. But the game was quickly “Cyberpunked” by some pretty nasty glitches, including poor performance on platforms, and what might have been its death sentence, a bug that deleted players’ entire inventories that was not rectified for a month, and either caused players to quit or scared them away.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's too bad this game launched with such crappy bugs. I decided to take a dive with the last big update and the massive sale discount and really enjoyed it. I'd say in the state it's in now, it's easily worth full price.

I feel like I got it for a steal.

orcinator

Liturgist
I remembered this existed, forgot about it when I was still on win7 since it didn't run on it, then remembered it again some time after I downgraded to win10.
It sucked, shutter People Can Fly already, they never made anything good, fuck yahtzee.

Codex Year of the Donut
I remembered this existed, forgot about it when I was still on win7 since it didn't run on it, then remembered it again some time after I downgraded to win10.
It sucked, shutter People Can Fly already, they never made anything good, fuck yahtzee.
this game was a giant kick in the nuts, thought it was going to be cool

ADL

Prophet
Paid expansion new campaign, new classes, new progression system, new endgame.

This is in addition to the free New Horizons update from a couple months ago that no one posted about.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Paid expansion new campaign, new classes, new progression system, new endgame.

Pisses me off to see a trailer using the awesome Pertubator OST in combination with such generic looking shit, that's also being narrated by such an unfitting and lisping voice.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom