Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

plem

Learned
from what I can tell, the birth kits limit which jobs you can pick and the job is what affects starting skills

I tried making a rogue-ish character but found out that not only do the enemies respawn after changing screens but the doors also get re-locked and the obstacles get rebuilt... so I got a refund

Ninjerk

Arcane
Wait, there's no character progression system not tied to finding specific items?
It appears to be the Underrail system with the artifact thingies and, I'm being reasonably presumptuous here, purchased upgrades for... something. The Repair skill also mentions being able to create drones or something to that effect--whether those are consumables or permanent parts of the character, IDK.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Yeah, the game transforming from a cyberpunk setting with highly augmented characters( anyone remember when your char could sport a third mechanical hand?) to a jungle village with zombies and zero augmentations is some twilight zone shit.
There are no cybernetics at all?!

:decline:

Jinn

Arcane
It appears to be the Underrail system with the artifact thingies

I would say the major difference being that artifacts are essentially just experience points, of which you must find many to level up, which gives you a number of ways to customize your character. I, of course, know how familiar you are with Underrail though, so am only making that clear for those who aren't. From what has been described here, you find a single item, and get to add another dice to a skill. Seems a fair amount different, and overall less satisfying to me.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It appears to be the Underrail system with the artifact thingies

I would say the major difference being that artifacts are essentially just experience points, of which you must find many to level up, which gives you a number of ways to customize your character. I, of course, know how familiar you are with Underrail though, so am only making that clear for those who aren't. From what has been described here, you find a single item, and get to add another dice to a skill. Seems a fair amount different, and overall less satisfying to me.

It's less character progression, and more of just a permanent buff at that point.

Ninjerk

Arcane
There are no cybernetics at all?!

:decline:

They took out cybernetics? That was a huge feature in the kickstarter concept. Chainsaw arm etc.

Oh what could have been :negative:
I don't know where that poster got the idea that there won't be augs at all. I haven't followed the development terribly closely in the last year or two (other than popping onto a couple betas), so it's possible the developers have made statements that such things are not in the game. I would not jump to the conclusion that because there are no augs in the 1st hour of the game that there are no augs at all.

EDIT: Then again, who knows with how everything has been communicated about this game.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm taking most of this post-release thread in with a mixture of wtf am I reading and facepalm in real life. Jesus.

Like, am I a moron, or was this not supposed to be a cyberpunk thing to begin with? And now it's... well, it sounds like no one's really sure what it is now. FML

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm taking most of this post-release thread in with a mixture of wtf am I reading and facepalm in real life. Jesus.

Like, am I a moron, or was this not supposed to be a cyberpunk thing to begin with? And now it's... well, it sounds like no one's really sure what it is now. FML

Original kickstarter description before the name change:

We’re so excited to be back on Kickstarter with our new game, Copper Dreams! It's an isometric, party-based, turn-based, pen-and-paper-inspired game in a dystopian cyberpunk setting. Think an isometric Escape from New York, or Deus Ex.

Current Steam description:

A cyberpunk horror CRPG set on a grim future colony world.

An official Escape From New York CRPG with Snake Plissken as the protagonist would probably cause the entire Codex to spontaneously coom.

It would more than likely be shit, but you know you want it anyway.

Terenty

Liturgist
I don't know where that poster got the idea that there won't be augs at all.
I don't know that for sure, but i have a strong suspicion that's the case based on:

1. There's no UI for augs anywhere in the inventory or the character screen
2. Augs as a gameplay mechanic are not mentioned anywhere when you create a char.
3. The low detail pixel character doesn't seem to change visually when you wear armour?(correct me if i'm wrong) So at least visual representation of augs is a cut feature.
4) someone on Steam forums asked about cybernetic upgrades and was completely ignored by devs, even though they seem to be poppin into almost every thread to answer questions

Jinn

Arcane
What a goddamn shame. I didn't invest much at all into the kickstarter, but a mild sense of betrayal is seeping in at the moment, despite all the other changes I accepted.

As if it was a question for me before, this is definitely the last kickstarter I'll ever back.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I don't know where that poster got the idea that there won't be augs at all.
I don't know that for sure, but i have a strong suspicion that's the case based on:

1. There's no UI for augs anywhere in the inventory or the character screen
2. Augs as a gameplay mechanic are not mentioned anywhere when you create a char.
3. The low detail pixel character doesn't seem to change visually when you wear armour?(correct me if i'm wrong) So at least visual representation of augs is a cut feature.
4) someone on Steam forums asked about cybernetic upgrades and was completely ignored by devs, even though they seem to be poppin into almost every thread to answer questions
Noted. There was a laser-shooting arm in one of the betas I played that showed on the character (or it was a hovering thing, I can't remember).

Gradenmayer

Learned
Being familiar with dev history of this game I pirated it just to get a taste.

And guess what? The most basic thing- moving your hero hero around feels like an absolute torture.
Devs, in all their 5 artstyle wielding retardation, made it so that you CANNOT move to an area obfuscated by the fog of war by clicking it! You have to see wherever you are going, in a game where field of vision blends with in-game lighting and doors automatically lock. Also whenever you input a new move previous one cancels out completely and hero stands there for a moment. The issue is made worse by every fucking map having 50 blind and narrow spots/turns per house. So most of your movement is just hero standing there drooling, because his little brain can't process movement inputs.
The game has pathfinding, because if you do see a spot two levels below your current spot, AI will be able to get you there, no matter how many turns it has to take. Meaning this shit was an intended design and was not made to avoid putting in work into the game. I am fucking baffled.

As I said before, all these games that hyperfocus on their art style are bound to be shit in every other regard.

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
From Steam forums:

"If pips are flat bonus to your roll, isn't it kind of bad to get 6 pips to turn them into a die? On average a flat 5 is much better than a fair die roll."

Answer from a dev(?):

"I think you have a point here! Noted. Thank you."

Wtf lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom