Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Cunt Dickula!?

E6FtUEI.png

BTW is this the famous german PB humour to have the cleric insignia in exactly that area?

Gradenmayer

Learned
Pirahna just refuses to have interesting visual design, non-brick protagonist and good melee combat. Risen 2 had attempts, but they quickly gave up.

Anyone tried Elex with some mods? Any recommendations?

Is this mod any good?
https://www.nexusmods.com/elex/mods/57

I played it already awhile ago without mods and it was fun but I wanted to try it out again with mods before ELEX II.
Yeah I played through the game first time with the overhaul mod this autumn. Was really fun and worked well. I hate playing retard balanced games, always go for the mod. Played modded POE2 as well for first play through this year.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
"wait a moment, you are JAXOFF, the BEAST of XARCOR. you were a big dick once but now you are a dicksucker" thanks for constantly reminding me of this fact, game. they once again made the world too big so they didn't have time to implement a coherent storyline, didn't they? could these retards please finally learn the lessons gothic 3 tried to teach them?

Lambach

Arcane
they once again made the world too big so they didn't have time to implement a coherent storyline, didn't they?

Sort of. If you laser-focus on the main plot, it's pretty coherent, but if you play this like a PB game which you should and just go everywhere and do everything, you'll probably be confused.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The only part of ELEX that felt weird to me was the "oh btw that person who tried to kill you is your literal brother" that they drop right in the middle.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Haven't finished the game yet, but is there anyway to save Kallax and still get the lovey dovey warm heart ending? I already blew through my side quests this time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Haven't finished the game yet, but is there anyway to save Kallax and still get the lovey dovey warm heart ending? I already blew through my side quests this time.
You can only spare Kallax if you're a cold person.

Mauman

Learned
You can only spare Kallax if you're a cold person.

Actually, I'm doing this right now. You have to hold off on most side quests (and a few companion quests) till end game. The game is surprisingly chill about you doing this. I've gotten through the Kallax encounter and I'm now down to the lower section of Intuitive (pretty sure I'm close to Spontaneous).

Also, you don't have to be cold per se to spare Kallax. You have to be on the cold half of neutral (I think a coldness of 51)

I'm curious if it's possible to
have Ray and Kallax both live

And yes, this is gamey as fuck, but I'm curious what Kallax has to say in a Warm ending.

Last edited:

Terra

Cipher
I recently got around to finishing Elex 1, first started it close to release, then shelved, figured it was about time to complete it.

Random thoughts:
-loads of typos/grammar errors in the subtitles throughout the game
-dialogue sometimes has a borderline nonsensical flow; like a character will repeat what is essentially the same phrase/sentiment 2-3 times, then Jax will respond with something completely unrelated. Also noticed a couple of spots where Jax had information on a topic 2-3 lines before the NPC clued him in. It's nothing gamebreaking, but the dialogue often lacks a natural flow and the whole game would benefit from editing by a native speaker, the whole thing exudes a "English as a second language, eh, good enough" sorta vibe. Further exacerbated by Jax's cold/neutral/Alb line delivery too.
-They barely even tried with the female face models
-Companion balancing/usefulness in combat? They're good as a distraction for a bit sure, but Nasty's final quest against the Elextor & 2x mechs just equals her death in like 2 seconds. Doesn't stop her being all gung-ho about fighting shit though.
-The Berserkers, at least compared to Clerics/Outlaws seemed super picky in terms of recruitment, Ragnarr (or whoever he was) has a whole dialogue tree listing off all the shit you've done that's ticked him off and telling you to fuck off, meanwhile it at least felt like the Clerics & Outlaws were much more phoned in, like they'd let anyone join, just ask bro!
-For as much as some laud Elex's exploration, I didn't feel the massively expanded landmass & additional verticality meshed all that well with PB's usual approach. Looking at Risen 1 by comparison, it felt like because the player experience was more funnelled/guided along particular paths in that game, it made it more obvious when you bit off more than you can chew and you could determine you probably weren't supposed to be there. Conversely with Elex, even early game quests will want to ship you off to Tavarr, and even the most rudimentary enemy will obliterate you en-route. And that applies no matter which direction you set out from Goliet, it felt. The initial hump/hurdle felt like it took much longer to surmount than past PB games because it feels that no matter which way you set out, it's the "wrong" path if you even dare to engage in combat.

I started playing this shortly after release but ended up taking a multi year gap before recently coming back to it with Elex 2 on the horizon. I remember I stopped playing after hitting a sort of plateau with my melee build, with the next tier swords needing better stats than I had. A quick google search later and I learned of the Energy Regent Sword, which levelled the playing field/acted as a crutch for a while once you're able to wield it. By this time though, it was a surprisingly short number of hours after it before you're in a position to boost that weapon to a tier 3 sword, max out your faction armour and dominate the game. Honestly after getting that weapon to tier 2 & getting decent faction armour, the game's challenge largely collapsed.

I ended up really enjoying the final 10 or so hours of the game and ultimately I'd rate it as a positive experience, however I probably spent 3-4 times that running from pretty much everything before getting strong enough to mount any kind of reasonable defense in combat. So people said the exploration was great, that wasn't my experience as for the lion's share of your first playthrough, there's no real joy in exploration as you're always just one scratch away from death. To me, the jetpack almost felt like a cheap solution to the game's exploration/progression path having having no/little structure/balance, and thus needing to give the player a quick means of escape at all times.

I'm looking forward to Elex 2, despite most of the above being gripes, Elex 1 still does a lot of the things that made PB's past games great, but I hope there's some improvements on the progression & difficulty fronts.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
-Companion balancing/usefulness in combat? They're good as a distraction for a bit sure, but Nasty's final quest against the Elextor & 2x mechs just equals her death in like 2 seconds. Doesn't stop her being all gung-ho about fighting shit though.
That's in-character. :lol:

The Berserkers, at least compared to Clerics/Outlaws seemed super picky in terms of recruitment, Ragnarr (or whoever he was) has a whole dialogue tree listing off all the shit you've done that's ticked him off and telling you to fuck off, meanwhile it at least felt like the Clerics & Outlaws were much more phoned in, like they'd let anyone join, just ask bro!

Well yeah, that's the narrative. The Bersekers are strict ecofascists with harsh punishments for rule-breaking, the outlaws are "do whatever you want as long as you pay your share of tribute," and the clerics have reasonable rules (don't take drugs, worship our god) and are desperate for new recruits.

Conversely with Elex, even early game quests will want to ship you off to Tavarr, and even the most rudimentary enemy will obliterate you en-route. And that applies no matter which direction you set out from Goliet, it felt. The initial hump/hurdle felt like it took much longer to surmount than past PB games because it feels that no matter which way you set out, it's the "wrong" path if you even dare to engage in combat.

You're not supposed to stop and fight. Just run constantly, all enemies will give up the chase. You can pretty much go anywhere from the start, you just can't kill anything.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Conversely with Elex, even early game quests will want to ship you off to Tavarr, and even the most rudimentary enemy will obliterate you en-route. And that applies no matter which direction you set out from Goliet, it felt. The initial hump/hurdle felt like it took much longer to surmount than past PB games because it feels that no matter which way you set out, it's the "wrong" path if you even dare to engage in combat.

You're not supposed to stop and fight. Just run constantly, all enemies will give up the chase. You can pretty much go anywhere from the start, you just can't kill anything.

Yeah that's actually one of the really cool things about the game for me, it makes the power fantasy payoff you get later impactful, you get your revenge on those pesky things that were so terrifying early on, plus it's a good adrenaline rush to escape by the skin of your teeth when you're effectively powerless (unless you have exceptional twitch skills).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Yeah that's actually one of the really cool things about the game for me, it makes the power fantasy payoff you get later impactful, you get your revenge on those pesky things that were so terrifying early on, plus it's a good adrenaline rush to escape by the skin of your teeth when you're effectively powerless (unless you have exceptional twitch skills).

I kind of disagree. IMO the balance between being weak like a rat and becoming an ubermensch is really bad in Elex. And like Terra noticed, it both takes too long to be able to reasonably fight anything and then in short order you become the destroyer of worlds.
There is not nearly enough "middle ground" IMO - where you need to pick your fights carefully, but with some planning and skills can succeed without cheesing combat via granades, psi thrower, plasma or flamethrower stunlock or some such.
I felt much better about balance in Gothic 2 for example, where you slowly, progressively can pick meaner and more dangerous fights. Or use skills to beat some very dangerous enemies relatively early.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I kind of disagree. IMO the balance between being weak like a rat and ubermensch is really bad in Elex. And like Terra noticed, it both takes too long to be able to reasonably fight anything and then in short order you become the destroyer of worlds.
There is not nearly enough "middle ground" IMO - where you need to pick your fights carefully, but with some planning and skills can succeed without cheesing combat via granades, psi thrower, plasma or flamethrower stunlock or some such.

Yeah I can meet you middle-way on that somewhat. Perhaps you could say that the idea is good (and refreshingly different, in that you you are ubiquitously underpowered early on, apart from the "sick" versions in the starter area) but the execution isn't as good as it coulda shoulda been. I think it's better implemented than you do, but it's certainly not perfectly done.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Power progression has been a problem since Gothic 2.
The earlier magic circles were underpowered but the last one made you overpowered but it was only for a small section of the game, mainly the last act.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
All this talk of starting underpowered... I'd rather the main character remained weak the whole game than start stronger. Being weak creates challenge to be overcome with skill, wits and creativity, while being strong kills it all.

The only thing the game needs is to remain hard after mid-game. And then anyone who can't take it can just choose a lower difficulty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom