Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow Empire - planetary conquest from Advanced Tactics/Decisive Campaigns dev

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
nah man, is fine to have trucks and trains on same route and rail tracks branching out. Just don't overdo and always have a "main artery" and then the secondary capilar roads and the respective supply station each 13 hexagons between the cities/frontline.
Another thing is having cities at each 6 to 12 hexagons depending on area.

Harthwain

Magister
Indeed. This game is about logistics. That said, I think it could take some lessons from Unity of Command in terms of making logistics more user-friendly without sacrificing the depth.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
One thing i wish he would fix is needing to destroy your diesel rail stations so u can swap to maglev stead of having the option of upgrading to maglev with a slight steel discount depending on your rail station level.

Old One

Arcane
What am I in for?

It's pretty great but be prepared to play a few games to learn the mechanics and interface. In fact, you should probably treat your first few games as pure learning experiences and focus on specific things you want to try to figure out. For example, in your first game just try to learn how to move units, build roads, and build up your city and zone. In your second game, try to focus on whatever confused you in your first game, and so on. Be prepared to do research in the manual and in forums.

Once you get the hang of it, it's very good.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
What am I in for?

It's pretty great but be prepared to play a few games to learn the mechanics and interface. In fact, you should probably treat your first few games as pure learning experiences and focus on specific things you want to try to figure out. For example, in your first game just try to learn how to move units, build roads, and build up your city and zone. In your second game, try to focus on whatever confused you in your first game, and so on. Be prepared to do research in the manual and in forums.

Sounds like the learning process will be the same as Dominions

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
U be fine, just remember. The bugs don't need supply lines and go for the coin political thing for easy supplying your pop with the necessities and getting those nice tax. (Let the private sector improve your cities and give u bonus).

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
What am I in for?

Sounds like the learning process will be the same as Dominions
It will be complex, but in a different way. I'd say that Dominions are richer tactically, while SE complexity is a consequence of retarded UI and obscure (and less thought through) mechanics.

Old One

Arcane
I've been trying to think of things I haven't figured out yet.

One thing concerns models. Is there a good reason to develop a new model instead of building upon an existing one? I've only tried making a new model once, and it didn't seem to give any advantage over modification of an existing model.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

One thing concerns models. Is there a good reason to develop a new model instead of building upon an existing one? I've only tried making a new model once, and it didn't seem to give any advantage over modification of an existing model.
When u want different type of guns on a certain vehicle (tanks and variants for example), in other cases because the field testing reached a certain level and it would bring u more advantage to begin a new model stead of upgrading the current one and on the cases of linear technology improvements that affect the models in any shape or form after a x amount of advances in that tech.

there isn't unlimited supply of videogames, disliking something doesn't mean there's necessarily something else which does the same better. too much often it means the game sucks and that's it, suck it up or change genre.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
True, a lot of autism in SE is for autism sake, while on the other hand some systems are extremely abstracted.

I'd assume a game of this magnitude would let you actually produce trucks and locomotives and have convoys on map for logistics and resource movement. But no, that bit is abstracted (and doesn't work well).

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
True, a lot of autism in SE is for autism sake, while on the other hand some systems are extremely abstracted.

I'd assume a game of this magnitude would let you actually produce trucks and locomotives and have convoys on map for logistics and resource movement. But no, that bit is abstracted (and doesn't work well).
Well your truck designs affect logistic output too so. It's something.

Beowulf

Arcane

How so? Trucks from Truck Stations have fixed AP and Truck Stations themselves provide fixed amount of LP per level.
But your truck design matters when transporting troops.

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
AQIMqCN.png

When you create a new model, game rolls for structural design (leftmost column on the pic). IIRC, it's 84+d31, so the result is 85-115. It's a multiplier to all unit stats.
Base design is another multiplier. It's rolled when unit model is created. It's also rolled again, when the model is redesigned ("built upon"). The result depends on the field testing (i.e. how much you fought fith units of that model). Base design can only increase during reroll (lower roll is discarded).
Same goes for engine, weapon and armor design.
Base design and structural design are universal multipliers - they're included in all other unit stats.
For example, final attack = f(structural design)*f(base design)*f(weapon design)*(everything else).
A model with a shitty structural design always will be weaker than other models with equal inputs.
Since creating new models quickly becomes prohibitive cost-wise, you don't really need to rush to redesign stuff. There're some exceptions (like getting shitty infantry AND machineguns in the beginning... or having a shitty tank, since tanks are seriously overpowered), but generally you can hold your own and win with mediocre designs.

Also, structural and base designs don't depend on leader skills, it's a pure RNG. Leaders can affect only the speed of design research. So it's ok to put some retard in command of engineering if you're good on bureaucracy. The majority of leader skills don't do much.

Edit: I forgot to mention the following. Notice that GI 2 and Riflemen on the pic have the same automatic rifle. Also notice that Riflemen have better str.des and weap.des than GI 2. And notice that the difference in soft and hard attacks isn't that significant. Notice also that they're two times stronger than GI slugthrowers.
I.e. it's usually much more important to properly manage your wars on a strategic and tactical levels than try to optimize structural design.

How good is this on a scale from Alpha Centauri to Civilization 6?
It's closer to SMAC. But the game is pretty much in early beta.

Last edited:

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

How so? Trucks from Truck Stations have fixed AP and Truck Stations themselves provide fixed amount of LP per level.
how fast supplies get moved down the line, and range troops can get supplies.

Beowulf

Arcane

That's not how it works.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

That's not how it works.
yes i confused the movement modifier thing on the model. Went to check on the manual

Last edited:

Old One

Arcane
I've seen some decent stuff, like skill 4 leaders, for example. There are also a few fair buildings, depending on how you like your cultural ratings. Nothing amazing though.

It's kind of funny to add a sewer system to a city on condition of raising authoritarianism by 8 points.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom