Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?

curds

Magister
If a person is only interested in building characters, maybe
There are plenty of players like that (myself included).

That said kingmaker didn't hold my attention for much longer than 10 hours

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I’m not sure it is. If a person is only interested in building characters, maybe, but the combat encounters are mediocre at best, and the story/writing are fairly mediocre too. The story/writing being mediocre wouldn’t be too bad if there wasn’t so much of it.
The problem is that you're separating a game into story/combat/character building. When in reality a part of what people subjectively enjoy in a game is the paradigm that the game approaches aspects of it's design through. Disco Elysium and Dark Souls both have great stories imo, but one of them may as well be a choose your own adventure novel and one of them has a story told almost entirely through reading item descriptions. I would say Kingmaker is most similar to BG1. And as someone who loves BG1 and Kingmaker (Although BG1 is much better tbh,) I love that they're both isometric high fantasy rtwp games that largely revolve around the wilderness and exploration. It's a unique feeling to get from a crpg and Kingmaker executes it relatively well.

Beans00

Augur
I missed Arcanum first time round, and still find it too clunky and junky to get into unfortunately.

Planetscape Torment is fantastic at what it does, but what it does it what I expect a book to do more than a game.

Can't handle arcanum or PST but shills morrowind.

Literal :retarded:

Shaki

Arbiter
Blobbers subgenre as a whole is overrated af. There is a reason why isometric RPGs are making a comeback, but blobbers are still dead. People played them as kids, and 10yo's will enjoy any garbage you'll serve them, so now they defend them because of nostalgia, but even those "fans" don't actually want to play this shit again.

dacencora

I’m not sure it is. If a person is only interested in building characters, maybe, but the combat encounters are mediocre at best, and the story/writing are fairly mediocre too. The story/writing being mediocre wouldn’t be too bad if there wasn’t so much of it.
The problem is that you're separating a game into story/combat/character building. When in reality a part of what people subjectively enjoy in a game is the paradigm that the game approaches aspects of it's design through. Disco Elysium and Dark Souls both have great stories imo, but one of them may as well be a choose your own adventure novel and one of them has a story told almost entirely through reading item descriptions. I would say Kingmaker is most similar to BG1. And as someone who loves BG1 and Kingmaker (Although BG1 is much better tbh,) I love that they're both isometric high fantasy rtwp games that largely revolve around the wilderness and exploration. It's a unique feeling to get from a crpg and Kingmaker executes it relatively well.
That’s interesting, I don’t much care for Kingmaker’s wilderness and exploration. Perhaps I was too hard on it, but I’ve gotten fairly far into it multiple times and I always end up dropping it out of boredom. I loved BG1, however.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Lacking children is sort of the same as a video game lacking toilets/bathrooms. You don't really notice it until someone points it out, and the lack of them doesn't really detract from the experience in any meaningful way. You just sort of go "oh yeah".
Fallout has toilet too. IE games not.

Funposter

Arcane
Lacking children is sort of the same as a video game lacking toilets/bathrooms. You don't really notice it until someone points it out, and the lack of them doesn't really detract from the experience in any meaningful way. You just sort of go "oh yeah".
Fallout has toilet too. IE games not.
Skyrim has toilets AND children which makes it the most immersive game evarrrrrr

Generic-Giant-Spider

I shit on Fallout 1 like seven pages ago and some of you shoemakers start listing these lukewarm Codex games like Dragon Age and NWN? Boy, do you mix pop rocks with coca-cola or drive over the speed limit when no one is around at 3 AM too?

Stop these limp-dicked takes and list some real shit. Make people PISSED. If I don't see retardeds/disagrees/cucks/shits on your posts then you're not trying hard enough. I WANT CHAOS, BABY. HAHAHAHA.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Darklands- had potential, nice setting and some good ideas, but its a mess. You get the same radiant quests over and over, every city is the same, combat sucks.

See this is a good post here. This makes me want to strangle this whore. Good job, Katie. I knew I could count on a woman to say stupid shit and get me HELLA angry. You know I've had my eye on you for awhile, kid. You may have a future in this industry.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
About Kingmaker and the Codex list.

This is a grognard forum. This kind of list is about legacy, not popularity - and definitely not about popularity that can be traced back to a recent marketing campaign.

So just don't allow games from the past decade in the poll.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I shit on Fallout 1 like seven pages ago and some of you shoemakers start listing these lukewarm Codex games like Dragon Age and NWN? Boy, do you mix pop rocks with coca-cola or drive over the speed limit when no one is around at 3 AM too?

Stop these limp-dicked takes and list some real shit. Make people PISSED. If I don't see retardeds/disagrees/cucks/shits on your posts then you're not trying hard enough. I WANT CHAOS, BABY. HAHAHAHA.

You could toss your wife out of the web I guess if you want some chaos.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Way ahead of ya.

2089282-0_142839xpx.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Children in a game is most noticeable if you can cast something like an Armageddon spell, but somehow only the children survive. So better not to include children at all.

Codex Year of the Donut
Adopting children in Skyrim felt really... weird, borderline creepy. No idea what they were thinking, should have been an orphanage or adoptive parents or something.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Darklands- had potential, nice setting and some good ideas, but its a mess. You get the same radiant quests over and over, every city is the same, combat sucks.

See this is a good post here. This makes me want to strangle this whore. Good job, Katie. I knew I could count on a woman to say stupid shit and get me HELLA angry. You know I've had my eye on you for awhile, kid. You may have a future in this industry.
Don't assume my gender, bigot

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Don't assume my gender, bigot

-V3FVcO6g621kZlj_-rW83eXSsd-6waWl6QnPWg9PqCZsJX9gwkcsMdZkVZfQBMdae-MB25zb8TUOCIY96hoA0tP-9u0SKP2U98JX7fpWSaNOtUKSQQnAEMyZBR0ywF_q7TizoVwOpFuPeTvYzmWbpXX3SLT

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Since we're now through with all RPG's as being overrated, I think that Underrail and Dragonfall are definitely underrated and should be higher:

a5BkfjD.png

jackofshadows

Magister
It's rather odd that you seem ok with Wiz 7 in its place and below Wiz 8.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom