Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Supermedo

Augur
Which companion can be the best healing/support character?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ok this game gets more broken all the time. I found another fun combination for a fire mage. Mallander's Insult belt lets you do another 2d6 unholy damage with every fire spell. If you cast spells like Scorching ray it gives that extra 2d6 per ray. Now if you add Ring of Pyromania to this mix, this 2d6 is also added another time to the bonus damage you get from the ring lol. So basically every Scorching Ray does 4d6+1 + 1d6+5 and 4d6 times 3 rays lol. Now bolster this, empower it and maximize it :)

That would probably work the same with magic missle and elemental bloodline (fire). 5d4+15+5(4d6+8) = 80-195. Empowered 80-245. Not bad for a level 1 spell. As a trickster it could use a level 2 spell slot. As an azata it could hit 2 targets. Probably want to check me on my math.
Depends on if changing damage type into fire makes the spell be considered a fire spell (it all depends on how it is coded). Also Shield spell is common in large parts of the game. You have to waste an action trying to dispel that first.

I think that Meredoth was talking about this awhile back and it not working. Like the spell descriptor is fire or something and only the damage type changes, not the descriptor. Is that right, Meredoth?

Conversion I believe that only works for non persistent evocation spells which deals elemental damage. IDK if works in magic missile. But it doesn't work in Acid fog for eg. Doesn't work in Sirroco(only first turn) and so on.

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Daeran has ludicrous healing. For support it depends on what you want, but all full casters can be great support characters, plus Arue has Hunter's Bond, Seelah has Mark of Justice, Regill can get Inspiring Command. If you want specifically one character that only heals and buffs, probably Sosiel with Domain Zealot.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Daeran has ludicrous healing. For support it depends on what you want, but all full casters can be great support characters, plus Arue has Hunter's Bond, Seelah has Mark of Justice, Regill can get Inspiring Command. If you want specifically one character that only heals and buffs, probably Sosiel with Domain Zealot.
Daeran is better at both healing and buffing as he has so many spell slots and he is a spontaneous caster. Also you can pick up for him a second Mystery and give him Barkskin as well. At that point he has all the buffs you ever need.
Sosiel is better as a Glaive wielding support combat cleric. Just give him Sorcereous Reflex so he can free cast Divine Favor or Divine Power at start of every battle.

plem

Learned

Seelah is quite useful with her aura and lay on hands, and though they're half-casters paladins get some great buff spells including class exclusive ones like bestow grace and aura of greater courage

if you're multiclassing, then Lann can make a great ecclesitheurge cleric since he doesn't care about the armor restriction and adds his wisdom to AC and attack rolls. his charisma sucks for channel healing but some of the domain abilities are amazing

Delterius

Arcane
Ok this game gets more broken all the time. I found another fun combination for a fire mage. Mallander's Insult belt lets you do another 2d6 unholy damage with every fire spell. If you cast spells like Scorching ray it gives that extra 2d6 per ray. Now if you add Ring of Pyromania to this mix, this 2d6 is also added another time to the bonus damage you get from the ring lol. So basically every Scorching Ray does 4d6+1 + 1d6+5 and 4d6 times 3 rays lol. Now bolster this, empower it and maximize it :)

That would probably work the same with magic missle and elemental bloodline (fire). 5d4+15+5(4d6+8) = 80-195. Empowered 80-245. Not bad for a level 1 spell. As a trickster it could use a level 2 spell slot. As an azata it could hit 2 targets. Probably want to check me on my math.

Not bad, but for rays you can add Aspect of the Asp
  • Grants +2 DC on poison spells, all ray spells deal additonal damage (1d6 + 1 per 2 caster levels) points of acid damage)
which is already ok by itself, AND THEN should also auto trigger Elemental Barrage for another potential 30d6.
There's also things like Gloves of Neophyte and Robe of Arcane Annihiliation that boosts the dice themselves, and stack with sneak dice as well. How powerful can you make a level 0 fire converted snowball I wonder.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Daeran is better at both healing and buffing as he has so many spell slots and he is a spontaneous caster. Also you can pick up for him a second Mystery and give him Barkskin as well. At that point he has all the buffs you ever need.
Sosiel is better as a Glaive wielding support combat cleric. Just give him Sorcereous Reflex so he can free cast Divine Favor or Divine Power at start of every battle.

Claiming that Daeran is better at buffing means missing the huge impact of multiple Domains (with Domain Zealot).

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Claiming that Daeran is better at buffing means missing the huge impact of multiple Domains (with Domain Zealot).
There is one huge problem with Domain Zealot - it eats Mythic feats along with Impossible domain and with sheer amount of time we spend with Mythic Rank < 6 (like 50-80 hours into the game) taking them means delaying either extra spell slots or Enduring Spells. And I would rate Enduring Spells on Divine Caster >>> Anything from Domains.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think the majority of players build Sosiel as a round-based buffer. Like Tristian was in Kingmaker; most of the time he cast Touch of Good on one of the party members who actually did something.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think the majority of players build Sosiel as a round-based buffer. Like Tristian was in Kingmaker; most of the time he cast Touch of Good on one of the party members who actually did something.
Which is a mistake because a properly buffed cleric based on Strength and with Two Handed weapon is a beast.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
There is one huge problem with Domain Zealot - it eats Mythic feats along with Impossible domain and with sheer amount of time we spend with Mythic Rank < 6 (like 50-80 hours into the game) taking them means delaying either extra spell slots or Enduring Spells. And I would rate Enduring Spells on Divine Caster >>> Anything from Domains.
I think this is incorrect.
Community domain gives the entire party(WIS Modifier, so easily at least +7) sacred (realistically stacks with everything) bonus to attack rolls and saving throws. This is insanely good against various bosses who all have 50+AC. Enduring spells are nice, but at the same time, does it matter that much if your spells last 3 hours or 24 hours? Or 15 minutes vs 24 hours? You really aren't that limited for rests, it's more annoying to have to rest and rebuff than any sort of gameplay penalty.

Community domain is an outlier in terms of usefulness though, iirc nothing else really comes close except maybe the one that gives an animal companion.

Daidre

Arcane
Community domain gives the entire party(WIS Modifier, so easily at least +7) sacred (realistically stacks with everything) bonus to attack rolls and saving throws. This is insanely good against various bosses who all have 50+AC. Enduring spells are nice, but at the same time, does it matter that much if your spells last 3 hours or 24 hours? Or 15 minutes vs 24 hours? You really aren't that limited for rests, it's more annoying to have to rest and rebuff than any sort of gameplay penalty.

My Skald Seelah gives 12 AB to all party each fight.
+5 Reckless Stance
+5 Inspire Ferocity
+2 Call to Violence cloak
And she even gives +4-5 Will Save with the same button, and realistically, it is an only save that matter.

I am not limited to my rests but I usually rest 0-1 times per dungeon and ability that I could only use once (If I don't forget about it) is kinda worthless in comparison.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Which is a mistake because a properly buffed cleric based on Strength and with Two Handed weapon is a beast.

Y not both?

With Domain Zealot you use domain buffs as Swift Actions and can still stand behind the tank and swing that glaive or something, while debuffing enemies with Archons Aura and Frightful Aspect.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
+5 Reckless Stance
+5 Inspire Ferocity
That's nice, but it seems like it also gives -11 AC to everyone? Unless the level 20 ability cancels it out (the wording is a bit unclear). This is not the end of the world, but the skald also doesn't have shield of faith, barkskin, magical vestment.... so it's not like you could actually replace a cleric with a skald without losing an additional 10+ AC.

I have not played skald, but I think you also need a mythic feat to get infinite inspire rage?

Anyway, the point was not skald vs cleric, but domain mythic feats versus enduring spells.

Daidre

Arcane
I have not played skald, but I think you also need a mythic feat to get infinite inspire rage?
With 20-40 uses and Lingering Song feat I do not think I've ever run out of Skald Songs in dungeons.

Anyway, the point was not skald vs cleric, but domain mythic feats versus enduring spells.
I prefer to run with 3-4 types of Resist Elements, Freedom, Death Wards (drain is the new poison in Wrath), Archon Aura, 3-4 Shields of Faith + Barkskin + Magical Vestment on pets and meeles, 2-3 Crusaders Edges and etc, so Cleric without Abundant Spells would not have spell slots to cover everything and divine caster without Enduring Spells would turn my buffing routine into living hell.

That's nice, but it seems like it also gives -11 AC to everyone?
Medium Animal Totem helps to cover half of AC loss with +stackable Natural Armor and I usually switch off Accept Rage for Mounts while their riders get a full benefit.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

+5 Reckless Stance
+5 Inspire Ferocity
And she even gives +4-5 Will Save with the same button, and realistically, it is an only save that matter.

I am not limited to my rests but I usually rest 0-1 times per dungeon and ability that I could only use once (If I don't forget about it) is kinda worthless in comparison.

Not even sure I'm gonna pick Community on Sosiel. Might go for Animal or something instead. Community might be OP, but I also don't love once per rest abilities. I do love his Touch of Luck, though. Touch of Good is more then decent as well.

plem

Learned

+5 Reckless Stance
+5 Inspire Ferocity

rage only boosts melee attacks and stops spellcasting
and doesn't inspire ferocity only work with natural weapons?

more importantly, all of that could stack with the community domain ability
sure it's only once per rest but realistically you'll only have one really difficult encounter per day
you can also use the azata's believe in yourself ability to boost his WIS even further

Daidre

Arcane
rage only boosts melee attacks and stops spellcasting
and doesn't inspire ferocity only work with natural weapons?
No and no. Reckless Stance + Inspire Ferocity are untyped bonuses that work on all weapon attacks. It is the only Barb Stance that works with range weapons, and archer usually do not care about AC penalty. I had some amazing results with Eldritch Archer Trickster MC (elemental barrage) + Slayer Lann + Ranger Arushalae. Everything died in first 2 rounds with 15-20 x4-5 bow crits.
you can also use the azata's believe in yourself ability to boost his WIS even further
Believe in Yourself is bugged from Day 1. It should scale from Azata CL but scale from Mythic Rank instead. So it is only +1 Stat until the Azata 8 in the beginning of chapter 5 when it becomes +2.

Daidre

Arcane
hnwMUCF.png
What about the AC penalties?
-11 without Medium Animal Totem, -6 With It, could use -1 AC + 5 AB version party wide If you switch Inspire Ferocity off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom