Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hard Corps: Uprising (PS3, Xbawks)

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So, the Codex often complains that games aren't hardcore anymore. Well, good to know that the latest Contra game is completely awesome, deliciously hard, has great 2.5D graphics (due to good quality 2D sprites) and music by Daisuke Ishiwatari. Like other recent Contra games, it wasn't developed by Konami themselves, but by Arc System Works (which means most of the Codex will probably run away now, since it's Weeaboo Codex stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Tt_LUK9NA)

It's also one of the few Contra games even non-1337 people can beat without having more rage than the Codex on a TES release date. Mind you, this is not because the difficulty had been toned down or the game dumbed down. No sir, neither of those have been touched. Instead, it's because the game comes with two modes, the old school Arcade Mode where you're expected to be an Olympic class gamer, and the Rising Mode where you get to improve your characters as you play further. This is actually a very elegant solution to people simply being unable to beat a Contra game, as the difficulty keeps scaling down to a level of your liking in Rising (you can also turn off whatever upgrades you've bought and reactivate them later).

There's also quite a bit of additions to the old school Contra gameplay, such as running, wall-running, climbing, air jumps, air dashes, hanging, special actions (the standard ones being Dodge, Vault, Ambush Shot, Super Tackle and Bullet Reflect), multiple characters (one of them completely different from the others, since she uses a sword instead of guns) and the ability to switch between two weapon slots. And in a shocking turn of events, the Spread gun is NOT god! As can be expected, it's a short game you can speed through in an hour if you've got god-like skills, but the replayability is great due to the focus on being a skill-game where you aim at just doing things better, and the short length with no bullshit just gameplay helps it greatly. As is tradition, there's also a co-op mode, which is a blast to play, being just as chaotic and more so as co-op Contra has been since NES. Also, there's a Gradius boss battle in the game, complete with half-screen filled with bullets.

I do recommend buying it and the three DLC characters for it (total price is ~18 euros), it's by far the best game up for download on its respective networks (disregarding some PSone classics like the Oddworld games). A week ago I would have told you Bionic Commando: ReArmed was the best Downloadable Game, but turns out it was not the case.

TripJack

Hedonist
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Hard Corps
at first i was like yay?

but then
p5ftt.png

huj5g6.jpg

epghz8.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne said:
DLC characters

WHAT THE FUCK
:x :x :x

the genesis hard corps was a big decline for contra too so i'm not surprised

lightbane

Arcane
Genesis' Contra Herp Corps was decline? How so? If I recall correctly not only had multiple characters with their own pros and cons (including a furry or even a tiny robot that was broken as hell), but also different paths and multiple endings. Maybe because it wasn't as hard compared with previous Contra games?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sounds swell. Too bad I'll have to (again) borrow a friend's XBawks to play it. I'd love a PC version.

ortucis

Prophet
Someone please email me a PS3 or a Oldbox so I can contribute to this discussion with more than just a sarcastic comment.

PS: I only have Shattered Soldier for PCSX2 and it still looks better than this game. Need to compare gameplay now, email a console please.

Playing this on RPCS3 and having a blast. I was a fan of Shattered Soldier but this is much more lively, less rote memorization and the soundtrack is way better.

npub30096_screenshot_97k6v.jpg

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I'm not exaggerating when I say that Ishiwatari is one of the best Metal artists ever.

I've only heard bad things about this so haven't tried it yet, but Great Deceiver's got me thinking to give it a go now.
I've only played a couple of levels - it's nothing incredible, but it's fun and the soundtrack kicks ass. I'm sure it gets repetitive later on (as these games often do), and I can't vouch for the quality of later levels, but no harm in trying!

What's the trick to getting it to work on that? Last time I tried I was only able to play the trial version.
No trick, I just tried it on the latest version of RPCS3 and it worked on the first try...

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I'm not exaggerating when I say that Ishiwatari is one of the best Metal artists ever.

That was 10 years ago, he only makes cringe vocal songs nowadays.

Like Metallica hasn't made a good album in a long time and that doesn't take their legendary status.

Btw. GG Xrd soundtrack was made in 2014 and is insanely good.

GG strive soundtrack was weak, but has some great tracks like this:

Gerrard

Arcane
Xrd's soundtrack has only a handful of good songs. The decline had already started with Overture though.

Also I can't believe it's been almost 8 years already, Jesus Christ. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom