Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the most UNDERrated RPG on the codex?

Deadfire.

thread closed.
No! Do not give me Deadfire cuckold nonsense anon! Do not! No! Do not give me all female wifes leave in ending anon but male elf wife does stay in ending anon! Do not! No! Do not worry anon it is okay anon because I am not gay anon but gay is okay anon but Deadfire is cuckold nonsense ending anon for all Deadfire female wifes anon! It is! It is American California cuckold brain disease nonsense Sawyer sexual history simulator anon! It is! No!

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Dos 2. Stop getting filtered by armor.
I prefer DOS 6.22 but it seems that I'm not as prestigious as some Codexers. Oh, wait...

Arcanum. From time to time some plebs whine about its combat or something. Irritating.
Some do about lack of verticality in Tarant. Seriously. You know who you are. However as someone has said, this forum used to be almost like a Fallout (mostly 1) and Troika fansite.

I like this thread way more than the overrated games thread. Lots of good games to play here, gonna download that Dungeon Master clone
Agreed, good thread, some great games listed here. A few I have played, vast majority i didn't but many seems worth it.

I would recommend Lord of the Rings, vol. 1 and 2 from early 90s because they had some gorgeous art and real Tolkien works' atmosphere but their gameplay was too shit to do that. So i'm just mentioning them.

jackofshadows

Magister
Lol, the text quests in Space Rangers alone offer more roleplaying options than some of the games from "Codex top 70 rpgs list", especially things like prison and master of iike-baana.
What roleplay options? The options there aren't tied to the narrow "general" role-play system in any way (at best to the amount of credits you have) so don't call them that. SR2 is a great game but calling it an RPG is such an enormous stretch... It has RPG-elements; that's undeniable but overall SR2 is unique mish-mash of genres including fucking RTS and arcade, yeah.
Some do about lack of verticality in Tarant. Seriously.
Seriously speaking, I wasn't entirely serious with my little post there. However, lack of verticality in Tarant isn't legit flaw, rather one of many game's shortcomings and one of million "if only this element could've been better" preferences. It might be worthy of whining but that doesn't mean much.

As for the forum history - I'm aware of that but as you said yourself - "used to be". Nowadays it looks rather like Owlcat/Larian fansite.

Camel

Scholar
Space sims are not RPGs.
Lol, the text quests in Space Rangers alone offer more roleplaying options than some of the games from "Codex top 70 rpgs list", especially things like prison and master of iike-baana.
Prison and presidential elections quests are my favourites, some players earned a million credits gambling in prison. :lol:
Are we even talking about the same game? Because in Space Rangers writing is all around good and is one of the stronger points of the game. Did you play the game in english by chance? I suspect that the english translation might be pretty shit, because hardly anyone bothered with it. Also, there's a great deal of cultural references in the game too, which are very likely to be lost in translation too.
Granted, I was harsh about one of my favourite games and writing there is functional. Freedom to do anything you want, exploration, turn-based combat, simulation of a living and breathing world are awesome. I played the russian version of both games and it had typical russian humour which could be lost in translation.
What roleplay options? The options there aren't tied to the narrow "general" role-play system in any way (at best to the amount of credits you have) so don't call them that. SR2 is a great game but calling it an RPG is such an enormous stretch... It has RPG-elements; that's undeniable but overall SR2 is unique mish-mash of genres including fucking RTS and arcade, yeah.
Agreed. If I'm not mistaken the devs admitted including RTS in SR2 was a mistake.

Acrux

Arcane
I would recommend Lord of the Rings, vol. 1 and 2 from early 90s because they had some gorgeous art and real Tolkien works' atmosphere but their gameplay was too shit to do that. So i'm just mentioning them.

My first computer as a teenager came with the Interplay 10 Year Anthology: Classic Collection, 10 games they released between 83 and 93. Those games were my first exposure to LOTR. It came with a thick book that included all of the Wasteland, Dragon Wars, and LOTR paragraphs. I vividly remember reading through all of them on car trips.

I'm still disappointed Aragorn didn't turn out to be a vampire. :negative:

Serus

Arcane
Patron

My first computer as a teenager came with the Interplay 10 Year Anthology: Classic Collection, 10 games they released between 83 and 93. Those games were my first exposure to LOTR. It came with a thick book that included all of the Wasteland, Dragon Wars, and LOTR paragraphs. I vividly remember reading through all of them on car trips.

I played the first one on Amiga around 1993, never finished it tough. I don't remember why, i think it wasn't difficult and i had the text paragraphs needed. Probably better games to be played back then.
I still think the intro is nice though (see below, Amiga version, 1991). And the atmosphere was good too, perhaps because it was very close to the original. Maybe too close in fact. You were doing the journey from the books which sounds good for a crpg, right? A quest, a party (of maximum 10 characters, yep Bill the pony was a party member too)... except most of the time you knew what came next. There were some side quests and even characters to recruit not from the books but it was too little. Also the gameplay mechanics were bad, it all played more like an adventure game, a bad one. I remember getting lost in the Old Forest though, despite finding a clue how to not get lost. Good times. :D

Acrux

Arcane
I remember being quite fond of vol. 1 (but that could be nostalgia). Vol. 2 is a mess, though. I found a pretty comprehensive review of both of them.

https://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2019/03/lord-of-rings-vol-ii-two-towers-summary.html?m=1

You're correct that they are more adventure games than rpgs. I remember liking that you could be rewarded with skills for completing some side quests, but I don't remember skills having any real use. Combat was servicable, if bland.

Looking back, the variety of side quests in 1 that build off of the peripherals of LOTR is pretty astounding. There's several Dunedain around, there's a Cardolan witch who will join you (and may betray you), the stuff with "Sharkey", finding dwarven artifacts in Moria, etc.

This is one I'd like to see a proper remaster, but that will never happen.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
And it is TURN BASED. And it has full fledged RTS and Arcade elements

It's a Turn-based, RTS, Arcade, FPS, RPG, adventure, flight simulator, fishing, wallbreaker, shoot'em up, wargame!
This game is everything!

Dude, if one phase of the game is RTS, it's not TB anymore, it's just a fucking mess like devs used to do before switching to full RTwP or RTS.
It's called garbage.

pomenitul

Arbiter
Top tier and underrated: Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2, Icewind Dale 2

Quite good and underrated: Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal, Tyranny

Not great per se but nowhere near as bad as they're made out to be: Neverwinter Nights 1 OC, Neverwinter Nights 2 OC, Dragon Age 2 & Inquisition, Torment: Tides of Numenera, The Outer Worlds, Skyrim, Diablo 3

Codex Year of the Donut
Top tier and underrated: Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2, Icewind Dale 2

Quite good and underrated: Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal, Tyranny

Not great per se but nowhere near as bad as they're made out to be: Neverwinter Nights 1 OC, Neverwinter Nights 2 OC, Dragon Age 2 & Inquisition, Torment: Tides of Numenera, The Outer Worlds, Skyrim, Diablo 3
good joke post

dacencora

I had the same collection! The install screen for the LOTR game was so cool. I spent a lot of time with that collection. OK, I mostly just played the demo of The Lost Vikings and Alone in the Dark over and over again. Not sure why I never played the full games it had lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom