Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Describe a game in such a way that it's impossible to guess what it actually is. Others guess.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Yes, the game was Tyranny and the books were the Black Company. The books are significantly better than the game.
Croaker = Lantry.
Soulcatcher = Voices of Nerat.
The Taken = The Archons.
The Lady = Kyros.

In the first 2 books the black company basically helps the Lady take control of the entire continent they are on. At the end of the 2nd book they turn on her, similar to how the fatebinder in this story suddenly turns on Kyros.

There are plenty of other parallels as well, the only difference is that in the novels the story was actually good and made sense.

Soulcatcher is one of my favorite all-time villains. I especially like how when Soulcatcher speaks, the voice changes to the different souls that have been taken before, and then Soulcatcher will suddenly laugh with from a deep, laughing baritone to an old woman's chuckle and everything in between. So damn creepy.
The audiobook version of the Black Company is one of the only audiobooks I consider worthwhile listening to. They have the person reading soulcatcher do all of her dialogue in different voices. Its actually really well done.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
There's a disease going around that causes insomnia...you know, I've never seen anybody sleep.
Oh, boy, another game where the native American stand-ins are incredibly wise.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
New game:
One of your goons ability is to digest any spicy food.

Found by Deuce Traveler
Superhero League of Hoboken.

Last edited:

Kruyurk

Learned
A dance of intersections to feed the triangle is the key to victory.

This is for one that some have argued is an RPG (but most dexer’s, myself included, would say it’s definitely not and that the people saying it is are tards):

Your sister tries to kill you twice. Or maybe a 1000 times, depending.
Don’t worry! You’re fully vaxxed and always wear your mask.

Oh fuck is that a dragon? No, it’s just Dad’s decomposing corpse.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Eye of the Beholder?
I remember that (or part 2) as:
"5 mins in and you are already hopelessly lost in a maze, are about to starve because you already ate all your "iron rations", rescue and aquire a new party member who will rob you blind the next time you rest. Then you say "fuck this shit" and uninstall both." :hahano:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom