Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good revenge rpgs ?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sooo i am replaying a Venetica and having a good time. Made me think about good vengeance games and couldn't come up with many. Dishonoured games,max pain games,the slasher lord of the rings games, New vegas. So,any good recommendations?

JRIz

Augur
Shadowrun: Dragonfall and, better, Blackguards at halfway through. And Blackguards 2 also, here the whole plot.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I think you might want to quantify things better. A lot of games tack on a superficial revenge to make the plot more interesting. Bioware is especially guilty of that.

Fargus

Arcane
I don't remember any games centered around revenge other than Baldur's Gate series. But generally as it been said bioware games have some kind of revenge subplots in them.

I guess Dragon's Dogma also, there you have to kill a dragon that stole your heart... i mean no homo, he literally ripped it from your fucking chest at the start of the game.

Isn't BG1 basically vengeance with Sarevok killing your step daddy?

Both of them actually. In BG2 you gotta off a jew elf who tortured you and your sis and stole your soul. Irenicus and his sister act like real cunts throughout the game so it's really satisfying to off them.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't remember any games centered around revenge other than Baldur's Gate series. But generally as it been said bioware games have some kind of revenge subplots in them.

I guess Dragon's Dogma also, there you have to kill a dragon that stole your heart... i mean no homo, he literally ripped it from your fucking chest at the start of the game.

Isn't BG1 basically vengeance with Sarevok killing your step daddy?

Both of them actually. In BG2 you gotta off a jew elf who tortured you and your sis and stole your soul. Irenicus and his sister act like real cunts throughout the game so it's really satisfying to off them.
Yeah,BG 2 is more of a revenge than bg1. Also i believe that only DA Origins when deeper in revenge territory,the other had it more as a side thing if any. DAO did let you get revenge and kill the fucks that fucked you up,and there was quite a few dialogue options about.

I think you might want to quantify things better.
What is there to quantify? A good revenge needs a good writing,most of the games that have it are written by retarded libtards and it is seen as a bad thing and you get a negative ending. So far venetica seems like the best option i had played,you get to kill a bunch of arabs,niggers and fat merchants,pure incline :). I am curious if there is other games where vengeance seems reasonable and makes sense.

Fargus

Arcane
I remembered few more games i've played years ago. Fable 1-2 both had revenge plots. And Dungeon Siege 2 had betrayal and revenge. Then again these games are not really rpgs in my book. So i don't know if it's something you'll enjoy playing.

Arvennios

Novice
Blackguards 2 :

A storm is coming. My lightning will cleave your roofs. And my spiders fly on the wind. I am Cassia Corapia. I am the dead of night. And all that was yours will be mine!

KateMicucci

Arcane
Yeah,BG 2 is more of a revenge than bg1. Also i believe that only DA Origins when deeper in revenge territory,the other had it more as a side thing if any. DAO did let you get revenge and kill the fucks that fucked you up,and there was quite a few dialogue options about.
You can get revenge on side characters from your origin but not the actual villian.

Why did Bioware go with the multiple origin thing anyway? What were they trying to accomplish? Since they dropped the idea in the sequels I'm guessing it didn't have the effect they wanted.

plem

Learned
not much of a rpg but Thronebreaker
Expeditions Vikings, kind of
VtM Redemption, also kind of

TwoEdge

Scholar
In Kingdom Come Deliverance one of Henry's goals is to find the bastard that killed his parents in front of him and recover the sword his father made for his liege and was stolen. There's much more to the game than that, but the revenge motif is front and center.

no-return

Educated
Codex Year of the Donut
You can get revenge on side characters from your origin but not the actual villian.

Why did Bioware go with the multiple origin thing anyway? What were they trying to accomplish? Since they dropped the idea in the sequels I'm guessing it didn't have the effect they wanted.
It was for RP, I think EA decided that majority of players will play just once so its cheaper to create just one origin

curds

Magister
I feel bg1 is only revenge driven if you larp that it is.

I always saw it as being about laying low and just trying to figure out what's going on.

First time I played gothic a big motivator for me was getting tougher than Bullit to get back at him for punching me at the beginning of the game - and everyone else who bullies you in that game, for that matter. But again, larping.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Since every game is an RPG these days, including System Shock 2 and Star Control 2, why not Max Payne - the ultimate revenge game.

Parabalus

Arcane
Sooo i am replaying a Venetica and having a good time. Made me think about good vengeance games and couldn't come up with many. Dishonoured games,max pain games,the slasher lord of the rings games, New vegas. So,any good recommendations?

NWN2: MotB.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom