Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Deathloop - first-person action game from Arkane set on a time loop island

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Immerse yourself in the world of DEATHLOOP with the complete original game soundtrack. Experience 59 amazing songs with a total run time of over 2 hours. The soundtrack was created by a group of talented composers - Tom Salta, Erich Talaba, Ross Tregenza, Arkane Lyon, and Sencit Music.

Also listen and download here!
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/2VNdSD...
Apple Music: https://music.apple.com/us/album/deat...
Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/18...
Epic Game Store: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US...

Chapters:
0:00 (Video Intro)
0:02 Splashscreen 01
0:08 Welcome to Blackreef
3:11 Menu - Break The Loop
6:42 Menu - Protect The Loop
7:55 Updaam
17:58 Space Invader (Charlie Montague)
23:02 Anonymous (Aleksis Dorsey)
27:57 Karl's Bay
38:52 Hazardous (Harriet Morse)
43:53 Fristad Rock
54:40 Delirium (Fia Zborowska)
59:49 A Band Apart (Frank Spicer)
1:04:51 The Complex
1:17:26 Paranormal Activity (Egor Serling)
1:22:23 Ubiquity (Wenjie Evans)
1:27:20 Final Confrontation
1:29:06 Déjà Vu
1:32:54 New Danger
1:33:06 New Milestone Reached
1:33:14 New Mystery Unlocked
1:33:24 New Conclusion
1:33:31 New Discovery
1:33:41 Splashscreen 02
1:33:46 Colt Gameover
1:33:58 Colt Win
1:34:06 Invasion Started
1:34:14 Invasion Updated
1:34:22 Invasion Ended
1:34:27 Julianna Gameover
1:34:41 Julianna Win
1:34:52 Lady S (by Frank Spicer)
1:38:34 You Have No Class (by Frank Spicer)
1:40:39 Ode To Somewhere (by Frank Spicer)
1:44:11 The Revenant (by Frank Spicer)
1:47:21 Splashscreen 03
1:47:27 Equality Gameover
1:47:37 Target Killed
1:47:49 Splashscreen 04
1:47:54 Eternal Deathwish
1:50:22 Carnival
1:53:16 Stuff Dispensers
1:53:50 Splashscreen 05
1:53:55 Heartbreaker
1:56:31 No Saints No Sinners
1:58:36 Sun Goes Down
2:02:04 Splashscreen 06
2:02:10 Madame K
2:03:26 Wrong Side of the Mirror
2:06:44 Safe Room
2:09:58 The Moxie
2:11:00 The Dahlia's Lounge
2:15:22 Automaton's Tango
2:16:59 Splashscreen 07
2:17:05 Time Flies
2:20:33 Candybar
2:21:25 Splashscreen 08
2:21:31 Rocket Man
2:22:32 Pitch Black
2:25:57 Down the Rabbit Hole

toughasnails

Yes. It’s easily Arkane’s worst game, and I say that as someone who overall disliked Dark Messiah.
One things where it IS the weakest of their games, and where it lacks something that is characteristic for the rest of them, is the replayability or the lack thereof. Deathloop is much more polished, slicker game than Dark Messiah but the latter still gives you reasons to replay it.

DemonKing

Arcane
Finally finished. Very underwhelmed for a "10/10" game. Systems are poorly explained and the UI layout is confusing and unintuitive. Story is a mess and hard to follow. AI dumb as dishwater and only being able to use a handful of powers at once limits the scope for emergent gameplay since your selection locks you into a particular playstyle. Having to replay the same maps over and over because you didn't do something in a particular way or got killed is not fun either. Also a lot of the story is told through outdated methods like audio blogs and notes left lying around.

I'd say it's probably a 6-7/10 game depending on your tolerance for some of the above issues/design choices. Not Arkane's best effort.

Straight elf

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Gosh, this game is so ugly. Everything from the cover art to the gifs that are supposed to sell the game to me make me want to avoid it like a plague. Seriously, how delusional are the marketing people who thought this will make the product enticing for customers to buy? Its literally two ugly people holding weird guns and "die, die again". WTF?
6441960cv11d.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Is there a single modern Arkane game where the characters aren't disgusting to look at? The protagonists of Deathloop are probably an improvement in that regard, melanin not withstanding. At least the woman looks like a black woman instead of the female black celebrities you see on TV who bleach their skin, straighten their hair, and generally look disgusting and uncanny.

The Decline

Arcane
Gosh, this game is so ugly. Everything from the cover art to the gifs that are supposed to sell the game to me make me want to avoid it like a plague. Seriously, how delusional are the marketing people who thought this will make the product enticing for customers to buy? Its literally two ugly people holding weird guns and "die, die again". WTF?
6441960cv11d.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

To make that box art work the title should have been "Nig vs Nog"

This is half price at the moment. Is it worth it?

It depends on what you're looking for.
Most importantly: It's not an immersive sim (or whatever you want to label Arkane's previous games). It's an FPS with a strong focus on exploration and relatively non-linear progression. The latter parts of that work fine, the FPS part... eh.
It's extremely easy, or at least was when it launched. I've heard some rumors that the devs patched in added difficulty, but I can't confirm that first hand. At launch the game was the definition of game-journo difficulty.
The narrative itself is fine, but the narrative presentation is often aggressively annoying.

That said:
Soundtrack is awesome
Controls are tight
Central gimmick has tremendous promise
There are some neat Easter Eggs
Ran flawlessly at max settings on my 2 year old laptop

TLDR; I bought it Day 1 at $60. I liked it well enough, but not enough to finish it (I got within 2 or 3 hours of finishing it and then dropped it). I would say, knowing what I know now, the proper price point is right around 20 USD. Probably lower for people who don't care about exploration or higher for brain-dead morons who just want to pop moles.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Something happened?
He praises most games AAA or otherwise, he even called Watch Dogs Legion an open world immersive sim which caused me to lose my shit. Then I found out I was not the only one that does not agree with his "opinions". He's also called ShillUp. That's the reputation I was talking about.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also a lot of the story is told through outdated methods like audio blogs and notes left lying around.
I'm curious, what do you consider a modern way to tell a story in a video game?
Dialogue choices? Environmental storytelling? Gameplay and story being more in sync?

DemonKing

Arcane
Also a lot of the story is told through outdated methods like audio blogs and notes left lying around.
I'm curious, what do you consider a modern way to tell a story in a video game?
Dialogue choices? Environmental storytelling? Gameplay and story being more in sync?

Half Life 2 over 15 years ago showed how to do it - great voice acting, radio messages, video calls and expressive and well animated NPCs. Deathloop has some good voice acting for the two main characters chatting over the coms but everything else is very lazy stuff with virtually anyone of consequence leaving diaries and audio monologues everywhere.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://bethesda.net/en/article/67D...ame-update-3-photo-mode-accessibility-options

1, 2, 3… Say ‘Wenjie’! Create stunning images to last for eternity with DEATHLOOP’s new Photo Mode, available now in Game Update 3.

Photo Mode makes it easy to bring your vision to life. Capture Colt in the middle of the action, snap a scenic panorama of Blackreef, or flex your portraiture skills shooting the Visionaries. With a wide selection of camera tools, character poses, filters, stickers, and frames, the possibilities are endless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom