Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You do know you can shoot your way through the game, right?

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
It really does feel more geared towards being a stealth game than the original Deus Ex. Since most of the missions take place in these office complexes with alarms, turrets, and mechs everywhere there's not much opportunity to go loud without everyone converging on your location.

kangaxx

Arbiter
The AI in the original was abusable to the point of being a meme. For example you can lure every enemy in the first map to the starting dock in a conga line all chasing you. Paul then batters them all to death, or the bot shoots them. He then chides you for "killing a lot of people tonight", even if it was him that did it.

It's still a much better game than the newer ones (still my favourite ever in fact), but the AI was laughable even for its release year.

Gargaune

Magister
I'm trying. I'm really fucking trying to like this game. Still haven't finished it. I think I actually preferred Invisible War to this piece of shit. I'm currently in lockdown Prague, but here's a simple comparison to Deus Ex 1: where are the enemies?
I don't know, where do you think the enemies are? That's kinda part of it, you know, your interpretation of the circumstances and how you want to relate to the actors, we call it... roleplaying. For instance, I kinda pictured Jensen as a hardass cop type, so I didn't whack any cops or civilians through the whole game. Well, almost, there were a couple of civvies who should've just shut the fuck up. But, anyway, once I got into places like Rucker's or GARMR or mafia turf, I went Lara Croft on everyone's ass. Glorious.

But come now, it's a Deus Ex game, if I tell you who to frag, what's next? You want me to help you with your girlfriend, sit down by the fireplace and give you a beat-by-beat on where to put it? It's your call, grasshopper, put it where you think best and see what happens.

While MD has issues, I wish more developers would follow in its steps of giving every building, alley, and street proper signs and address, and have NPCs give you proper directions instead of relying on objective markers.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Chippy, I see your six-month term in Cyberpunkland hasn't produced corrective outcomes. Would you like to go to Invisible War Island next?

I'm trying. I'm really fucking trying to like this game. Still haven't finished it. I think I actually preferred Invisible War to this piece of shit. I'm currently in lockdown Prague, but here's a simple comparison to Deus Ex 1: where are the enemies? In Deus Ex 1 there was this moment where it was made clear who the assholes were. You could unleash all your augmentations on them and feel good about it.

-I'm assuming this game has yet to find its stride in that department?. Maybe on the 5th or 6th visit to Prague by the end of the game? The frenchies are so concerned about the shades of grey and moral ambiguity in this game that they've forgotten how to just make assholes. Funny since the whole of France is full of them. :troll:

I just wanna fucking shoot someone. That was the best thing about the first game: you played by the rules and then all hell broke loose. But here...ther's more hacking than shooting. It's not even like the hacking is fun. Like Gwent in W3. WHoever created the hacking game needs their balls crushed in a vice.:argh:
Fuck off already with this shit rants that dont make sense. Go back to Call of Duty.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Canadians are unable to make a good Deus Ex game, as they are too liberal to actually understand what the first Deus Ex was arguing -- essentially, the techno-paradise is not a dream, it is a nightmare. And the relentless deracination of culture and governing institutions in the name of "progress" does not make the world better, as it merely allows the same crafty patriarchs another avenue through which to exert their will, with even fewer consequences. The singularity is not a grand intersection between advancing technology and human well being, where the world unites, ready to elevate us to the next level. The singularity is an actual singularity -- a black hole -- that relentlessly pulls in all information and crushes it into conformist nothingness, from which it will never escape.

Canadian liberals (not quite redundant, but almost!), infected with the neo-Marxist delusion that all progress is both benevolent and inevitable, are unable to view the true dystopia lurking behind their world view(s) because they are made stupid by their ideology.

Understand that in their vision of a technocratic dystopia, there is such a thing as interracial gangs in the city of Detroit. Their naivete and childlike foolishness demonstrate why they cannot make a proper Deus Ex game: they are utterly confused about human nature. Summoning God from the machine only makes sense if you understand what he's going to do when he lands on earth.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Canadians are unable to make a good Deus Ex game, as they are too liberal to actually understand what the first Deus Ex was arguing -- essentially, the techno-paradise is not a dream, it is a nightmare. And the relentless deracination of culture and governing institutions in the name of "progress" does not make the world better, as it merely allows the same crafty patriarchs another avenue through which to exert their will, with even fewer consequences. The singularity is not a grand intersection between advancing technology and human well being, where the world unites, ready to elevate us to the next level. The singularity is an actual singularity -- a black hole -- that relentlessly pulls in all information and crushes it into conformist nothingness, from which it will never escape.

Canadian liberals (not quite redundant, but almost!), infected with the neo-Marxist delusion that all progress is both benevolent and inevitable, are unable to view the true dystopia lurking behind their world view(s) because they are made stupid by their ideology.

Understand that in their vision of a technocratic dystopia, there is such a thing as interracial gangs in the city of Detroit. Their naivete and childlike foolishness demonstrate why they cannot make a proper Deus Ex game: they are utterly confused about human nature. Summoning God from the machine only makes sense if you understand what he's going to do when he lands on earth.
Counterpoint: The original Deus Ex was made by a bunch of skinnyfat dorks from Austin, which is the Canada of Texas.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Though I would agree with the sentiment behind your post and suggest no serious AAA US developer is capable today of telling a story like Deus Ex. It would have to be an indie or something.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm trying. I'm really fucking trying to like this game. Still haven't finished it. I think I actually preferred Invisible War to this piece of shit. I'm currently in lockdown Prague, but here's a simple comparison to Deus Ex 1: where are the enemies?
I don't know, where do you think the enemies are? That's kinda part of it, you know, your interpretation of the circumstances and how you want to relate to the actors, we call it... roleplaying. For instance, I kinda pictured Jensen as a hardass cop type, so I didn't whack any cops or civilians through the whole game. Well, almost, there were a couple of civvies who should've just shut the fuck up. But, anyway, once I got into places like Rucker's or GARMR or mafia turf, I went Lara Croft on everyone's ass. Glorious.

But come now, it's a Deus Ex game, if I tell you who to frag, what's next? You want me to help you with your girlfriend, sit down by the fireplace and give you a beat-by-beat on where to put it? It's your call, grasshopper, put it where you think best and see what happens.

While we're on the subject of where to put it: what was the story behind this:

Developers get to make a game set in a augmented future, and they choose to make the strippers look like stick insects or fatties?. Where are the perfect augmented boobs? Instead we get a phat chick with an augmented arm an a leg. Why couldn't she afford boobs and liposuction I ask you?. I might have paid for DLC that had augmented boob strippers to replace this one. Even if it cost an arm and a leg. Then the game might have at least been worth a fap.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh fank fuck it's over. Just finished the game. It was torture. This ranks as the most bland, boring, uninspired, badly written, lacluster, limp-wristed, impotent, flacid, thimble-full-of-spunk-wank-game I've played on the PC ever. I would rather sand down a block of flats by hand and paint them with a 1" brush than play this fucking game again.

Some thoughts:
  • Items, weapons, and augmentations were worthless. I used grenades only to kill the serial killer aug, and bullet time + revolver maxed out for damage to kill the final boss by shooting him in the face. I kept bullet time going by hoarding energy packs (because I predicted I'd need them for that shit boss battle). The only time I ever used energy packs in the game was to get double takedowns for the extra XP.
  • So I went through the entire game just by using non-lethal takedowns and crouching.
  • The new augmentations were totally shit. The only thing that was worthwhile was bullet time. And the energy drain on all augs is so drastic that it makes the game itself shit as you hoard energy packs for that 1 time you'll need them. If they couldn't balance the game for a challenge, at least make it fun by adding full energy regen under difficulty settings. Otherwise you're forcing the player to work.
  • I probably spent more time hacking than playing the actual game. Much like NWN2; if you forget your autism, and not hoover up all the items, and if hacking/all fluff was removed, you could probably get through the game in 1/5 of the time.
  • Crafting is shit. In Deus Ex 1 weapon mods made a difference. In this game it's just another gimmick to items and augmentations that lets you 1-shot enemies quicker.
  • Said this already, but: no enemies. Game punishes you with less XP for killing, pushes you towards playing the game as a stealth character, and then creates x2 fuckoff boss battles where you're surrounded by turrets, bots, and bosses with titan augs. I couldn't be bothered to find out if there was a stealth solution to the serial killer boss, and I don't know if you could turn the turrets against the final boss. Hacked the terminal, but it was locked (the only time in the game that happened - suppose it was a Deus Ex Machina moment). I did stealth up onto the rafters ablove him - but it all comes down to what I mentioned already, where you need a fucktonne of energy packs to keep stealthing in and out as you snipe him. The only time each battle was hard is if you don't go straight for the kill and try to get clever. They tried to make it difficult by giving him infinate drones, but it would have actually been more strategic if they hadn't. As I said already: learned nothing from the previous complaints about boss battles in the HR. Even after they got it right with the expansion.
  • Stealth system was shit. Lure an enemy into the suspicious state, crouch behind a wall, wait for him to walk over and knock him out. Only time it's hard is if you try to be clever.
  • The story was shit. Human rights, aug rights, rich people taking advantage and shadowy illuminati behind the scenes. Who fucking cares? Just another interactive movie that goes nowhere on the way towards a trilogy of games. Adds nothing to the overarching story.
  • While on the subject of story:
    what happened to McReady and Jensen's injured boss?
    I suppose somebody forgot to put that into the unneccesarrily long, boring, final movie?. I expect all the politics of the game was more important?.
I'm so glad I bought this in a sale. Only played it for the setting lore. Not gonna buy the inevitable third one, and will just read the story on Wikipedia. Quite possibly the only thing that will make me buy the third one is if it was moddable like Skyrim, and I could get some quality nudity and tits into the game - like replace Jensen with a nude Anna Navarra. And her awesome sexy voice of course. Then at least some bouncing tits might keep me awake through it.

Overall: :majordecline:

Edit: One final thing while I think of it. The biggest dissapointment of this game, tied to the "no identifiable enemies" complaint - is that the game almost goes there. It had at least two opportunities to really show the shit side of human nature. You could have had the police massacre the augs in Golem city or Prague. Then the player would have felt justified in actually pulling their guns out. Instead I expect the devs were either afraid of comparisons to RL, or they're saving it for the third one. Either way, a neutered experience that was played too safe.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Mr high IQ here should go back to candy crush or something. But no lets write pretentious shit and finish a game he finds torture. That tells you have shit taste in games and that you are a retard.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Human Revolution is also fine. It's okay. It's worse than MD and Jensen is cardboard-cutout-boring, but when you have good level design + stealth gameplay it's hard to mess a game up. Both the Dishonored games are also surprisingly good due to this.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Human Revolution is also fine. It's okay. It's worse than MD and Jensen is cardboard-cutout-boring, but when you have good level design + stealth gameplay it's hard to mess a game up. Both the Dishonored games are also surprisingly good due to this.

Sure, I didn't mind playing it, but I never felt like replaying it. It was a nice Ghost in the Shell fanfic game, bad DX game.

Gargaune

Magister
I'm going to be very controversial here and say DX: MD is a surprisingly good game. I plan to replay it soon.
Don't think it's all that controversial. A few curmudgeonly holdouts aside, most opinions here of late have ranged from Codex-trademark Neutral Positive™ to excellent. If anything, I'd say HR has been more divisive, some like it better while others, myself included, find it okay but rather forgettable.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yes, it's ridiculously worth €7. Even if you only play it once, but you'll play it more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom