Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
especially not as the boss

This seems is a thing with Bethesda, even in Morrowind if there is a faction and you can join it, you must be allowed to become the boss (or something like that).

If a game costs tens of millions of dollars to make, and you have a company with hundreds of employees, you have serious obligations, and that makes you more risk-averse as a company.

FWIW when Bethesda made Skyrim they were around 90 people or so and when they introduced quest markers, fast travel and such to Oblivion they were even smaller. It wasn't until after Skyrim was released that they started getting bigger.

Having played both Skyrim and Oblivion recently, Oblivion's combat is actually better. They gussied it up in Skyrim with a killcam, but it's mechanically shallower and less engaging overall. Oblivion had more status effects, a host of buffing options with doomstones and potions of Fortify Strength, etc. Hand to hand was a viable combat style. You could cast spells without unequipping your shield/2-handed weapon, reducing time spent in a clumsy-ass menu. There was also a proper hotkey system.

I've also played Oblivion recently and while you do have more stuff to play around with in Oblivion, they end up not mattering thanks to the scaling system. Unlike Morrowind where you can take advantage of the mechanics to become a living natural disaster, in Oblivion everything aside from critters just hovers around you and becomes a damage sponge regardless of your growth. Skyrim removed that instead of fixing their systems but at the end i think it at least feels better to play - it is the equivalent of someone forcefully stepping on your naked toes with a boot (Oblivion) and then "mercifully" taking off their boots to step with their bare feet so you wont be in much pain (Skyrim), which technically is an improvement, but the real solution would be to stop stepping on your toes.

But here you will only hear the high praises of the original Fallouts, as if those games were not buggy, completely unbalanced and had shit combat with a host of other issues.

FWIW you'll find several people here not being fans of the original Fallouts' combat and finding it both slow (some even play with a speed hack) and simplistic.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
unseeingeye your posts are difficult to read, you should split them into smaller paragraphs.
My apologies, I've a disposition for verbosity and also haven't interacted across a message board in at least 15 years, I thought I was doing just that (excepting my previous two posts) but I'll separate my sentences more frequently for readability. Thank you for the advice.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
(the generators for example go from random junk generators straight to your own mini-nuclear powerplant, almost like there were supposed to be several more tiers of generators that were simply cut).
Back then I bothered to look a bit more on design decisions and mechanics, it was obvious how this game had many last minute changes to "make it more easy accessable". Sad.
They put in all those low output windmills... and then just slapped low cost gas powered ones in. That need no gas.
Even worse with turrets. All those vise style turrets, requiring materials in masses to build, and need to be powered. I assume they intended for players to use a switch to redirect the limited power from water to defense during an attack. Good idea.
But then "someone" decided to put in two simpler turrets in that require no power at all and can be built from a lighter, a bucket, a hotplate, a watch and a scanner. No engine, gun, bullets or gas needed. "It just works!"
VATS was pretty much abandoned after a few levels, guns not balanced for it or outright unusable, because "someone" decided it's not needed anymore, it's a game about powerarmor now.
Both bossfights assume you wear one, otherwise it's "Blablabla, now you die", stealthboy. Have fun eating all that dmg in your face player.
Or how the "combat rifle", the probably most used weapon, is just a 10 min hideous kitbash out of existing gun model parts. Seriously?

I could go on forever how there are so many signs of potential that got choked off, when Todd decided that their target audience is only one lost braincell away from taking a dump in their own bed, so the game needed to be retailored accordingly. Sad.

Apparently Fallout 4 is 6 years old today:

>This game changed lives
No wonder the US is fucked.

Always love the dumb hyperbole that social media morons use. I get it, you liked it, but jesus, everyone wants it to be changing lives, or the bestest thing evar...
People can like shit games/movies and hate good games/movies. But making it "life changing" shows how vapid this culture is.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
If this is truly the thing that changed your life lady, then I feel bad for you.
That a shit game convinced you to make more shit games in life.
Why did you feel the need to punish others who have never done you any wrong?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
>This game changed lives
Always love the dumb hyperbole that social media morons use. I get it, you liked it, but jesus, everyone wants it to be changing lives, or the bestest thing evar...
People can like shit games/movies and hate good games/movies. But making it "life changing" shows how vapid this culture is.

Uh, did you guys read the full message? After playing Skyrim she liked it enough to want to work at Bethesda and she managed to get a job there as a community manager (which is often kind of an entry job). Getting into an industry you like and weren't into before does sound a little bit more "life changing" than simply liking a game.

>This game changed lives

Uh, did you guys read the full message? After playing Skyrim she liked it enough to want to work at Bethesda and she managed to get a job there as a community manager (which is often kind of an entry job). Getting into an industry you like and weren't into before does sound a little bit more "life changing" than simply liking a game.
I didn't read that she's a Beth shill. Templar's future wife material :lol:

Straight elf

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
So I started this game because it came with my Xbox pass I got for 1 euro aaaand I play a white man with a white wife. Yet, our baby is clearly black! There appears to be no explanation of that in the game so I am confused. Is the PC in this game a cuckold?

Stella Brando

Arcane
All I can say is that after Skyrim, and Boston I hope the next big Bethesda game has nice weather.

Wait, it's in space. Space is cold right?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All I can say is that after Skyrim, and Boston I hope the next big Bethesda game has nice weather.

It's got built in temperature control. Just vary your distance to the nearest star to adjust temperature.

orcinator

Liturgist
Even worse with turrets. All those vise style turrets, requiring materials in masses to build, and need to be powered. I assume they intended for players to use a switch to redirect the limited power from water to defense during an attack. Good idea.
Turrets are useless sin general because settlers are invincible. Arm these niggas with pipes and watch them go zombie on some super mutants. (unless all the turrets die, in which case the settlers surrender but you can just put one in a box)

Also is there a no exponential leveling mod yet? Like the one that witcher 3 got.

Stella Brando

Arcane

It's got built in temperature control. Just vary your distance to the nearest star to adjust temperature.

Great, I can fulfill my dream of living at 30 degrees all year round. Hal, set the controls for the heart of the sun.

Stella Brando

Arcane
Nice.

R.c8b50e53c08dba3c637d65bffcb72eef

I see Elvis evolved into a lizard man.

It's not official at all?

Last edited:

Squid

Arbiter
?
Close enough?
https://www.falloutmiami.com/
:happytrollboy:

PICK YOUR SIDE IN AN IDEOLOGICAL CONFLICT
Help swing the tide of battle by choosing a side in the timeless struggle between order and freedom. Join forces with the nomadic, automobile-worshipping Nuclear Patriots or rebuild America to its former glory as a member of the Enclave.

Hey by the way, we made an all new faction and the opposing faction is the bland evil faction that should have only been in one game but whatever slam here too. Gee, I wonder who will be the obvious good guys in this mod? I know it's just a mod team working for free but this point just makes it even less interesting to want to try the mod out. You've already made a new faction, why use the de facto evil guys™ of Fallout in opposition to them? That's not what makes factions interesting to see and consider joining. Freedom and Duty in STALKER are great because they both have noble causes but they're diametrically opposed with them. One wants to protect the world from the dangers of the Zone and the other believes it's a new wonder that should be open to anyone brave enough to venture.

This will likely be the Enclave once again wants to wipe out all "mutant" humans (except not you because you're allowed to join) even if their DNA is 0.5% off of not being of their incestual gene pool and the good guys will be the "we're not those fuckers" tagline.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
This will likely be the Enclave once again wants to wipe out all "mutant" humans (except not you because you're allowed to join) even if their DNA is 0.5% off of not being of their incestual gene pool and the good guys will be the "we're not those fuckers" tagline.

For some time now Bethesda Fallout fans have been wanting to 'redeem' the Enclave, turn them into a viable option for the future.
I think this idea mostly comes because the Encalve 'look cool' (my slang is probably not up to date), have power armor and laser weapons and advanced tech.
And because they are descended from the pre-war government, that that gives them a legitimate claim to leadership.
Apparently these fans seem to forget that the pre-war government was a republic with elected representatives by the people, and not hereditary. Just because the Enclave are descended of the America of old, that doesn't make them represent the America, even if the US has fallen, of today.

Anyway, in order to make the Enclave more 'viable', fans seem to tone them down a bit, make the more 'cuddly' and accepting of outsiders, which contradicts Fallout 2.
But how many of them played Fallout 2?
And remember, lore must be 'alive' so it can be changed and improved. (read: so it can be shit on)

Squid

Arbiter

For some time now Bethesda Fallout fans have been wanting to 'redeem' the Enclave, turn them into a viable option for the future.
I think this idea mostly comes because the Encalve 'look cool' (my slang is probably not up to date), have power armor and laser weapons and advanced tech.
And because they are descended from the pre-war government, that that gives them a legitimate claim to leadership.
Apparently these fans seem to forget that the pre-war government was a republic with elected representatives by the people, and not hereditary. Just because the Enclave are descended of the America of old, that doesn't make them represent the America, even if the US has fallen, of today.

Anyway, in order to make the Enclave more 'viable', fans seem to tone them down a bit, make the more 'cuddly' and accepting of outsiders, which contradicts Fallout 2.
But how many of them played Fallout 2?
And remember, lore must be 'alive' so it can be changed and improved. (read: so it can be shit on)
Yeah these are usually my issues as well with Enclave simps.

They're not a viable faction and they should have only been a major faction in Fallout 2. Afterwards, some remnants were fine. Brotherhood of Steel too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom