Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I'm about 70 percent done with the game DLC included. It is worth playing on sale, but the second DLC does feel rushed. It is buggy. Wait for Super Duper Edition in 1.5 years.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Several days ago I completed the full playthrough of Wasteland 3 (base game + both dlcs). Took me 61 hours, but the last 2 hours were spent on achieving an alternative ending - I tried both loyalty to Patriarch and treason with Angeal Deth. I liked the Patriarch ending more, even though my previous actions deprived him of a worthy successor (I fucked up Steeltown trying to give too much power to the people), so his alliance with the Arizona Rangers was destined to be short-lived.

What a good game! A true GOTY of 2020, no complaints about that. InXile managed to really improve the Wasteland formula. I played Wasteland 2 DC several months ago, so I can easily compare these titles - 3 has much more engaging story, more interesting NPCs (even your armored vehicle has a cool personality!), better moral dilemmas. I completed the dlcs between main story missions, and to me, they did not feel very separated from the base campaign. Steeltown is especially well integrated, the way you resolve its conflict can influence the whole ending in a pretty impactful way. Cult of the Holy Detonation is more detached, but still, the question of energy supply for Colorado is an important issue (even more so if you, like me, exterminated the Gibbers).

Anyway, I had a sweet time with Wasteland 3. I expected it would take me about a month to complete the game. In the end, it took me 10 days. The fact that I kept on playing 6 hours a day with my otherwise busy schedule is the best proof of pure gamer enjoyment brought by the newest InXile product. Now I'm looking forward to their next game. Even though I consider Wasteland 2 merely ok and Numenera mediocre. They finally did it, created a modern classic.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
siding with deth is stupid unless you aim for the November reign ending. Partriach biggest flaws are his eventual demise and his weakening grip of power. Morally, sending prisoners to the cult thing to be executed and butchered, but all and all, living as a colorado citizen isnt that much bad. Like it's a nuclear apocalypse, having heater literally functioning on the street in a deep freeze winter is much better alternative than anything outside Colorado springs. Having good reputation with 100 families, the rangers and staying in Colorado is the best ending after November reign, and by staying, november eventually will have the reign by peaceful transfer after partriach is dead (and if you pass 10 medic skillcheck, it won'tbe that long anyway)

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
True, despite her idealism, siding with Deth brings more suffering to the people of Colorado than the Patriarch ending. There is also this crazy ending when you side with the gangs, loot Colorado Springs and continue your career as a raider. But it's pure evil and completely divorced from the morality of the Arizona Rangers, so I did nothing towards achieving it.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
I really liked the idea of the DLCs which is why I was so disappointed by their execution, especially the second one. How can you make exploring Cheyenne Mountain boring? I was looking forward to that place since it was hinted at in The Bizarre. The potential was endless.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
I gotta agree with everyone else and say that the music in this game was superb, almost the highlight of the game if you ask me.

They really added something extra to the select moments when they would play during a critical sequence.

Incredibly well done and fitting renditions.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Finally, Avellone reveals what he actually worked on for this thing.

No, I did the area designs on Steeltown (with Drew McGee, who did the high-level design), Cheyenne Mountain, and Aspen, among others. Cheynne Mt was probably the most fun.

Yes, that's right, he's responsible for the terrible content in the terrible DLCs. Phone-it-in Chris returns.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Jesus how the mighty have fallen. Granted I doubt he designed the shitty combat that is the main issue in that area.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Did Avellone design the current version of Cheyenne Mountain or the old version when it was still run by the Faders? Cloned super soldiers who recycled their own in order to improve their genetics.

If it is the current version than I am rather disappointed with his work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom