Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Generic-Giant-Spider

Allah please release a game with budget in current year without some shitty multiplayer mode force-fucked into it so I may game in peace. Amen.

Generic-Giant-Spider

"I play with random dumbfucks instead of reliable friends. Damn, must be everyone's fault but my own."

Oh boy let me just ask my friends to pause working and dealing with their kids or ugly fat girlfriends to come engage in Dragon's Dogma.

Nigga not all of us are 12 still.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Look, if DD2 gets marred by some overbearing incentive to play co-op with people to take down anything worthwhile because there's a segment of homosexuals out there that have to do every single thing with their life partner then I am going to begin lopping off heads of any who even vaguely support such.

Black

Arcane
DSCF9847.JPG

Day of the newspaper is approaching rapidly.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dragon's Dogma 2 had co-op. Originally the first game was going to have something called the "Endless Tower" that linked all the different player's worlds together. It was dropped from the final game for budget reasons along with some other stuff, (and I think became The Everfall [and maybe also Bitterblack Isle]) but it sounds like the Endless Tower was a multiplayer zone where you can other players could explore some kind of endless (or at least very big) dungeon. The similar idea to this showed up in Itsuno's DMC5 multiplayer guest system. So I wouldn't be surprised if Dragon's Dogma 2 did that; like it's got multiplayer...but it's basically its own little mode sectioned off to a large dungeon you have to visit.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yeah the early game feel of wandering out into the world at night is unmatched, especially that one music track with the melancholic singing. It's a shame the world wasn't a bit bigger to let that feeling last longer, once you've played through once it loses that magic. Definitely a great first experience though.

If anything I'd worry the sequel will lose that special something and just become a tired retread of "people liked this, so robotically clone it over and over".
The original conception of Dragon's Dogma was an Open World game in the style of the Elder Scrolls Morrowind/Oblivion, but the size of the world was drastically reduced after development began to correspond with the budget. It's possible to image an alternate reality where Capcom released the Dark Arisen version on PC in 2013 shortly after the PS3 release and was then emboldened to initiate a Dragon's Dogma 2 with sufficient funding to actually be Open World. Perhaps they would have stolen Bethesda's thunder. :M

Delterius

Arcane
The original conception of Dragon's Dogma was an Open World
This is what the multiplayer discussion is missing.

MP is great in games with a laser guided focus. MP is fun in, say, Monster Hunter. I dunno how Dragon's Dogma Online was structured but given that a hypothetical Dragon's Dogma 2 is likely to remain a fuck around walking sim I wouldn't count on conventional multiplayer any time soon.

Would be interesting if they went to work on Dragon's Dogma after Itsuno put the pitch together in 2000. Then you're talking a Dragon's Dogma that comes a year or two after Morrowind, and Capcom and Dragon's Dogma get in on 3D open world games more during the ground floor during the PS2 and Xbox era as opposed to in 2012.

Although it's not like Dragon's Dogma 2 hasn't happened yet because Capcom isn't interested. Itsuno was just busy doing Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition and Devil May Cry 5 after Dragon's Dogma finished.

The original conception of Dragon's Dogma was an Open World
This is what the multiplayer discussion is missing.

MP is great in games with a laser guided focus. MP is fun in, say, Monster Hunter. I dunno how Dragon's Dogma Online was structured but given that a hypothetical Dragon's Dogma 2 is likely to remain a fuck around walking sim I wouldn't count on conventional multiplayer any time soon.

Multiplayer was part of the original concept for Dragon's Dogma when it was a bigger open world game that also had some moon area. But like I said, the multiplayer was zoned off in a tower that came out of the ocean that linked everyone's games together in real-time. I'd imagine that's what Dragon's Dogma 2 would do too. You've got your own open world area that's the main single player section of the game, but there's also some tower you can go to (that maybe you have to visit once) which other players can freely explore at the same time. The most that seemed to come of this multiplayer idea in Dragon's Dogma is the Ur-Dragon fight.

Generic-Giant-Spider

That whole moon concept in DD1 is precisely why it's borderline essential to have the important people on a development team do tons of shrooms/acid and go on vision quests for six months.

Given all the Berserk stuff in the series, I do wonder if we'll get some take on the Eclipse. Some kind of thing where the environment around you just changed into some weird hellscape...guess, it wouldn't be too different from what Death Stranding did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom