Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Halo Infinite - the next Halo game

J1M

Arcane
Cortana enlisted? They gave her clothes.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Single-player campaign is getting top scores in mainstream media despite the game basically being a Ubisoft version of Halo. Also runs like shit for what it offers.

Hobknobling

Learned
Single-player campaign is getting top scores in mainstream media despite the game basically being a Ubisoft version of Halo. Also runs like shit for what it offers.

Hardly a surprise. Pravda was more truthful about the state of the Soviet Union than mainstream gaming media is about the state of games.

Microsoft has a lot of power over these media outlets. Maybe more than any other company because they are heavy hitters in both software and hardware.

Zlaja

Arcane
It seems the campaign alternates between boring open world section which features nothing interesting to find or see (everything is generic looking and samey), and indoor closed off missions which feature identical copy and pasted indoor environments. Also, the graphics don't seem all that impressive. And the performance takes a big hit in the open world section. The main antagonist is reportedly just a dull angry evil guy.

The good part seems to be that the shooting feels better then in the previous 2 Halos. So basically, just skip the shitty campaign and go straight to multiplayer. Unfortunately, the MP is pretty barebones at the moment. So come back in 6 months. Thank you for playing!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The camera seems to "vibrate" when looking around, like the graphics are shaking or vibrating slightly when the camera is panned. It's weird, and it's the only game that does this, makes it unplayable.

EDIT: The MP doesn't do this, which I've been playing since it released. Only the newly released SP Campaign.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played it for an hour or two. Runs fine and looks good, but I also have a new system. I read though that apparently the open world stuff runs really bad for some people. Some stuff they improved on from earlier games is all the cool effects that goes off in battle, better ragdolls and death effects. It just looks sweet. Weapons feels nice to shoot, and the game is really quick, getting some minor quake vibes running around and shooting with mouse and keyboard controls. Also you seem to pick up a lot of other marines to fight with so that is neat.

But dear God the story. What is going on? I have no fugging clue what is going on and there is no catch up thing either from what I can see. It starts with Master Chief getting his ass handed to him, thrown out the airlock and much later picked up by a random survivor. The whole fleet is destroyed, all is lost, Cortana has gone rogue but her zoomer humor twin AI is picking up the pieces, and... slow down game! Is it one of those situations where you have to read books or something to get it?

Otherwise it seems really melodramatic. The Spanish guy is really annoying, keeps whining and the new AI has that type of sarcastic-nonchalant zoomer humor that is incredibly grating. Master Chief seem to have a silent mental breakdown every time he finds a dead Spartan, with sad piano music and all going off, it just feels off. This guy have seen hundred, if not thousands of buddies die before, and just in this game, well, at least my game he has seen at least 20 newly rescued marines getting blasted already with not even blinking an eye, but scripted encounter with dead spartans, oh no the world is ending!

Can't say I feel invested and not sure I'm going to play more, even if okay:ish fun. I need to feel a bit invested in the story at least.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
So I "fixed" it, seems the vibration was caused by me not using the game's DRS, or mis-using it. Anyway setting both "Min FPS" and "Max FPS" to '60' fixed it, or at least made things normal enough for play.

ADL

Prophet
It's refreshing to play a first person shooter where the AI has personalities and they're not just targets. The brutes will pick up the imps, strap a sticky grenade onto them and throw them at you like a football and shit.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Anyone find the MC voice to be weird this time around? It sounds much older than the character should be considering the timeline.

Removal

Scholar
Is it one of those situations where you have to read books or something to get it?.
the red covenant are from the spin off rts games
cortana going rogue is from 5 I think
basically 343 has no idea what they want to do with Halo's plot so you get nonsensical stuff

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After playing some more now, I think I'm done. Story is not interesting like I said, I have no idea what is going on, I'm not invested. Gameplay has become Ubisoft-esque. Just run around and capture places and stuff like that. And it does not makes sense in the narrative. I'm fine with rescuing guys, they helping me out and eventually rebuild a small marine force, but what I don't get it where all the equipment and manpower is coming from when I capture a new FOV? Suddenly I can order in vehicles, from where exactly? And there is always men there with full armor and equipment waiting for me. Where are they all coming from? The fleet was destroyed, there is nothing left.

Game looks and feels pretty good, but playing it just feels cheap.

GreyViper

Prophet
To above, the story is basically a continuation to events started in Halo Wars 2 although I'm at a loss how MC ended back there again considering how 5 ended. Level story-wise seems like they went back to classical Halo except for the exploration, though I agree they should have refined that part a bit more. Then again its not a direct OpenWorld UBI clone. Regarding the villain, a bit mixed bag, considering what 4-5 had as an antagonist. Is he a creative villain, no but as brutal warlord he works, you know what his motivations are (I think Bungie did a better job with enemy factions in the Destiny series than 343).

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Kinda lame duck villain if he is meant to be brutal, since he just lets me capture his outposts with no retaliation.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
To above, the story is basically a continuation to events started in Halo Wars 2 although I'm at a loss how MC ended back there again considering how 5 ended. Level story-wise seems like they went back to classical Halo except for the exploration, though I agree they should have refined that part a bit more. Then again its not a direct OpenWorld UBI clone. Regarding the villain, a bit mixed bag, considering what 4-5 had as an antagonist. Is he a creative villain, no but as brutal warlord he works, you know what his motivations are (I think Bungie did a better job with enemy factions in the Destiny series than 343).
The story starts very confusingly, I hope they explain this mess during the game because as it is, I don't have a clue how the UNSC and the MC got to this ring with the guardians policing space, how the banished got there, how the UNSC got their ass kicked so easily when a single outdated ship managed to fuck up the banished on halo wars 2, but an entire fleet with their capital ship and a shit ton of Spartans are obliterated at the start of infinite.

Then there's Atriox being apparently dead, the new forerunner tech that freezes aliens in carbonite and which the banished defrost a new type of alien... Because why the fuck not add another wrench to this mess.

It like a half assed reboot of the series while still trying to continue the story.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
So I "fixed" it, seems the vibration was caused by me not using the game's DRS, or mis-using it. Anyway setting both "Min FPS" and "Max FPS" to '60' fixed it, or at least made things normal enough for play.

This is called microstutter, and it's common knowledge that the fix for it is to set the maximum FPS for the game right at or right below what your GPU is capable of running it at.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I thought this game's campaign was suppose to be the conclusion of the saga but now it pulls yet another new enemy out of nowhere while I still am very unclear on what happened to those AIs that decided that they should govern the galaxy.

I am suppose to read some books or comics to find out what happened, right?

Halo 1, 2, and 3 were not perfect but the damn franchise has been a mess ever since it was continued.
Halo 4 started out somewhat okay if cliche, but from there the design team has been hoping from one idea to another without properly doing the previous one.

This is never going to end, is it? It will keep wandering drunken from one saga to the other. And now we also have time travel in it (at least some form of time manipulation), meaning it is going to open a whole new can of bullshit in the next entry because then everything will be possible.

Last edited:

Removal

Scholar
yup, pretty sure they put the actual endings to 4 and 5 in the comic series
shame because outside of the terrible "clear the outposts and save the same 4 marines" the core shooting gameplay feels pretty good

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
shame because outside of the terrible "clear the outposts and save the same 4 marines" the core shooting gameplay feels pretty good

Man, this franchise is a fucking waste of time.
I feel embarrassed about even having developed an interest in it.

This is basically the Seinfeld of military science fiction, it's a franchise about nothing. And loads of people are buying it.

Last edited:

Zlaja

Arcane

Apparently, you're supposed to play Halo Wars 2 to figure some stuff out about this new threat you're fighting in Infinite. I do kinda like Halo, but not enough to play fucking Halo Wars or read some stupid comics. What a shitload of fuck!

Squid

Arbiter

Man, this franchise is a fucking waste of time.
I feel embarrassed about even developing an interest in it.

This is basically the Seinfeld of military science fiction, its a franchise about nothing. And loads of people are buying it.
Kinda hard to buy into the storyline of it anymore. It's been past this point for awhile. Master Chief's story should have ended with 3 but he's too iconic and people can't handle that. Halo probably should have just ended there too. I feel like Reach was fine since it was a prequel of sorts even though it contradicted the book which I don't care about.
I played these because they were the better of the console shooters out there.

Halo 3 is still the best multiplayer with the pro rules on.
Infinite's is okay, it's the best 343 has done with the multiplayer. I haven't touched any of their campaigns besides playing a few levels in 4 when it came out and not liking it. Maybe one day I'll try to revisit since I bought MCC.

Campaign runs like shit for me, on an RTX 3070 and a Ryzen 7 3800x. It mostly has to do with horrid frame pacing issues (I'm very sensitive to this kind of stuff unfortunately), even though the average framerate holds out decently well in the 80ish range at 1440p, there are frequent spikes and it just feels like shit a lot of the time.

The game's automatic resolution scaling also doesn't work properly if you don't engage the ingame vsync (as opposed to using an external limiter like RTSS), which is atrocious and makes the frame pacing issues even worse.

I hadn't played a Halo campaign since Halo 3 and liked the combat scenarios even though the open-world stuff feels like Ubishit. Halo enemy AI is pretty decent compared to other popamole shooters.

In any case, I refuse to play something so shoddily optimized. Obviously all of their optimization efforts went for their closed box (Series X or whatever), which despite having significantly inferior specs apparently runs the game at a locked 4k/60 or 1440p/120.

I might play once a few patches smooth things out, but then again, maybe not.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Apparently, you're supposed to play Halo Wars 2 to figure some stuff out about this new threat you're fighting in Infinite. I do kinda like Halo, but not enough to play fucking Halo Wars or read some stupid comics. What a shitload of fuck!

I had that feeling for a while now, but Infinite completely confirms it. A bloated corporate product that is full of itself.

Its not even a joke any more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom