Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship Early Access Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Here's what the difficulty modes look like:
yNQzsuu.png
And here's some ADVANCED tutorials:
wYqrAak.png

^It's a video that gets played. Isn't that advanced or fucking what.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
And here's some ADVANCED tutorials:
wYqrAak.png

^It's a video that gets played. Isn't that advanced or fucking what.

Yeah, we finally advanced to 2010 in the tutorial department :P

It's definitely better for player understanding to see what you are also explaining in text.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
For the love of Christ, get rid of that god-awful font. Who the hell chose that abomination?

The configs are also set inversely to what one would expect. Usually it goes from easiest to hardest, left to right. Coupled with the ambiguity in naming (one tends to expect HEROIC difficulty to be the hardest), you're probably in for a lot of butthurt from the plebs whose favor you added the easy setting for after they completely miss it.
Of course, anyone can realize what's what simply by reading, but you don't really expect your potential customers to do that, do you?

Ihavenoidea

Educated
Biotech 3: Eye-Datajack / 4: Motor Cortex-Squad Leader / 5: Spine-Heart / 6: Armor
Would be cool if i.e. Sarah informed the player about the progression via flavor text - eye is easy to extract, but heart is hard, and only a true pro can extract armor or something.

Codex Year of the Donut
Change that text font, it's a display font.
If you want to retain a sci-fi look, go with something in the eurostile family, which remains readable as a body font. Pretty sure you're using Audiowide right now, so you probably grabbed it from Google fonts. Check out Jura on there.
Jost is also available, a derivative of Futura, another iconic sci-fi font. However, it has a more positive outlook associated with it(probably due to its widespread usage by NASA) rather than a cold, sterile feeling.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Jura simply looks too cliché (granted, at least it's not the design mess Audiowide is) and Jost is tiring to read for anything longer than a paragraph. If they are constrained in resources to free fonts uniquely, I say Nunito Sans is a better alternative. You sacrifice some cold grimness for ease of reading and good scalability. Its round openness pairs better with their other font too.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Or ignore all that shit from the armchair quarterbacks and add a rounded corner gray rectangular element behind the floating text to provide contrast.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Or ignore all that shit from the armchair quarterbacks and add a rounded corner gray rectangular element behind the floating text to provide contrast.
I work as a designer, knowing how and when to use which font is an important part of how I make a living.

A grey background won't make cyan text easier to read. Take heed of your own advice.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I can only imagine that you exclusively use comic sans for everything
He says, writing from his obscure Linux distro with no less than 11 unpatched high vulnerability CVEs and terminal customized with green Courier.

Codex Year of the Donut
I can only imagine that you exclusively use comic sans for everything
He says, writing from his obscure Linux distro with no less than 11 unpatched high vulnerability CVEs and terminal customized with green Courier.
"how dare you care about that thing you spend a large portion of your day staring at!"

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Lots of new delicious weapons in this update. Melee players rejoice!

Clawhammer - favorite weapon so far. I think I like it more than Utility Bar, because it looks so nice:
DSdtDuB.png
YADpCb0.png
Drops in the second to last encounter at Court House.

Power Saw - It does pretty good damage with critical strikes. I always have it on my Faythe. Though I only use it on super hard encounters, because Energy Weapons use cells. Haven't figured out how much each attack consumes. I know Power Attack consume a lot of cells.
5rTPcPf.png
RZeiX8E.png
It's in a box at the second tower at Hydroponics. The one where you have to jump over a bridge in order to salvage some parts from a machine for Carlos.

Energizer - Haven't really messed around with this one.
bPIxNuk.png
TrdyWVM.png
I don't remember where I got this one from. I think it's from the Court House encounters?

Last edited:

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Looking great as always. Probably a good idea to not delve into interactive tutorial territory and stick to videos and text. Tutorials that interject gameplay are a major pain in the ass to set up.

I don't want to harp on AdolfSatan's point too much, but he's right and generally gives great advice. At the very least consider using a font editor to fix that jarring lower case 'w'. I don't have a problem with reading the font, but that 'w' gets me every time. I want to reach into the screen and claw it out. It's as if somehow an italic type character made its way into the regular set. Yes, I do feel that strongly about it. Readers are primed to respond to italics for emphasis and I'm no exception.

I realize it's not a priority at this point in development, but it's a very easy thing to fix. Reading is a central part of the experience so it merits some attention.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Power Saw - It does pretty good damage with critical strikes. I always have it on my Faythe. Though I only use it on super hard encounters, because Energy Weapons use cells. Haven't figured out how much each attack consumes. I know Power Attack consume a lot of cells.

Check the "ammo multiplier". In this case, it's x4, so 4 cells.

I don't remember where I got this one from. I think it's from the Court House encounters?

The gang in the outskirts.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Looking great as always. Probably a good idea to not delve into interactive tutorial territory and stick to videos and text. Tutorials that interject gameplay are a major pain in the ass to set up.

I bet it rubs some of my players the wrong way, but I keep my tutorials very brief. It helps that everybody who plays isometric turn-based games mostly already know what they're doing.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Elhoim When are you adding more sound design, ambience, music tracks and AI scripting routines like walking around doing stuff out of combat? is that Q1/Q2-2022 or later?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom