Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun - Aiko's Choice standalone expansion

Sunri

Liturgist
Damm this game is great but moving around and rotating camera gets me mad af.

DemonKing

Arcane
Played a bit of the first level - took me a few minutes to remember how to line up the characters to perform multiple actions simultaneously but after that it was smooth sailing. From reviews I read there are three huge, sprawling levels and three smaller interlude missions.

Loving it so far - if you liked Shadow Tactics/Desperados 3 this should be right up your alley. Please god give these guys the Commandos licence...

Antigoon

Augur
I believe they mentioned at some point they would never do a Commandos/WW2 game.

Last edited:

0wca

Learned
Played through the first 3 missions so far. It's more good old ST, the levels don't disappoint so far and it's on par with the original.

I believe they mentioned at some point they would never do a Commandos/WW2 game.

God fucking damnit and here I was hoping they'd eventually do a Commandos sequel or maybe even a remake of C2.

Did they say why?

Antigoon

Augur
I think it was something about it being overused and even though they are huge Commandos fans, they don't really like the setting (anymore).

DemonKing

Arcane
That Island mission is tough but in a good way. I'm always a bit conflicted when they artificially take away access to certain team members but on consideration I think it's probably for the best as you have to develop strategies that work for everyone and can't rely on one preferred method.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Make no mistake: forcing different team compositions is steep and beautiful incline in these games. Otherwise why wouldn't you just use the Green Beret over and over for everything?

Bought this on release to support the awesome devs and gifted a few copies of the base game on top of it - it's 90% off, go buy loads of them

zool

Arcane
I think it was something about it being overused and even though they are huge Commandos fans, they don't really like the setting (anymore).

That's actually a good decision I think.

Medieval would be sweet since Robin Hood did a very good work with it but there were way too few maps in that game.

Robin-Hood-The-Legend-of-Sherwood_2.jpg

Some sort of bronze age / antiquity setting (or sci-fi) would be nice too I guess. Let's just hope they don't go for a crap fantasy setting.

0wca

Learned
They can't anyway since it's already being made by somebody else: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...new-game-is-coming.122877/page-2#post-7255013

I have serious doubt about anyone else but this team making a proper version. They've shown us they can give the genre justice. The other team probably isn't going to respect shit about the original.

Make no mistake: forcing different team compositions is steep and beautiful incline in these games. Otherwise why wouldn't you just use the Green Beret over and over for everything?

Agreed. I think it's great because it forces you to adapt and dicourages repeating the same OP tactic over and over again.

Cunt Dickula!?

Seems like a cash grab especially for 18 bucks (20 bucks without sale is just ridiculous).
I would say for the content you get 10 bucks would be fair.

The 3 very small story levels are banal shit boring.
From the 3 big levels only the last one was really great.
The other 2 are pretty average levels altogether.

No new character. No new mechanics. No gimmicks in the levels.

This thing only exists so that you can give Mimimi more money.
I don't regret it as i was very happy with Shadow Tactics OC and Desperados 3 but Aikos choice is just average.
Even if you liked original Shadow Tactics i would recommend just replaying that tbh.

If you want to see how expansions are made just look at Beyond the Call of Duty.

Last edited by a moderator:

oldbonebrown

Arcane
GG 2 EZ
Beat the game on hardcore after about 5 hours.
Same great base gameplay as before. Enjoyed all three maps, but I wish there had been a fourth one to take the difficulty another step. I don't think these 3 were as intricate as the later levels in the original game.
Looking forward to completing the challenge badges, I'm sure they will squeeze a couple more good hours out of these new maps.

I really like missions with limitations on what characters you can use. They make you appreciate all the aspects of all the characters more, because you're pushed towards using their limited abilities in new ways. Rarely do you have any reason to use all five or even four characters anyways.

bArf0xI.jpg

gVNhPuT.jpg

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Not interested in that overpriced DLC but I got the base game for three dollars and it is really good even though I did not dig the asian theme at first. I would pay 5 or 10 dollars for it maybe. If you like the genre you should play it.

Sunri

Liturgist
GG 2 EZ
Beat the game on hardcore after about 5 hours.
Same great base gameplay as before. Enjoyed all three maps, but I wish there had been a fourth one to take the difficulty another step. I don't think these 3 were as intricate as the later levels in the original game.
Looking forward to completing the challenge badges, I'm sure they will squeeze a couple more good hours out of these new maps.

I really like missions with limitations on what characters you can use. They make you appreciate all the aspects of all the characters more, because you're pushed towards using their limited abilities in new ways. Rarely do you have any reason to use all five or even four characters anyways.

bArf0xI.jpg

gVNhPuT.jpg

There is almost no difference between hardcore and easy in this game difficulty levels are wack

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I'm a little disappointed now that I have started working my way through the challenge badges, none of them seem especially challenging compared to the original game.

0wca

Learned
Finished the game, took me about 8 hours. Yeah it's not as challenging as the original and there were a few minor bugs with where you could drop (or rather couldn't) some corpses and some bugged traversal options. Otherwise it was still fun to play, shame it was only 3 main levels.

Felt a little rushed, they could probably have made it more challenging an a little bigger if they took a little bit more time.

DemonKing

Arcane
The 3 very small story levels are banal shit boring.

Agreed - they're virtually cutscenes.

From the 3 big levels only the last one was really great.
The other 2 are pretty average levels altogether.

The first main level definitely had some tutorial elements built in, but I didn't think it was terrible. I liked the second level a lot although the 3rd level was certainly the most challenging.

It's probably slightly overpriced at the moment, but I'm happy to give the devs some money towards their next major title.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom