Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPGs with the Best Humor

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Already said but still:
  • Most Morte lines (PST)
  • HK-47 (KotOR), his meatbag lines and the protocol droid vs assassination droid protocols resurfacing lines.
  • Some Wizardry 8 banter are quite good (When critters appear in your line of sight: "Shoo, Shoo, go away!")
Adventure-RPG
  • I found Quest For Infamy humor quite good, even if it's not unanimous.
Adventure
  • Discworld and Discworld Noir
  • Monkey Island saga

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Definitly, AoD makes lots of joke, thanks to the fact it's heavy text based. You're right about Miltiades, but you should pay attention to some dialogs (ask to fight the rats in the old tower's cellar of Teron), death screens (the one against Belgutai being my favorite I would say) or even in many descriptions.

Right, how could I forget about the "time honored tradition, that separates men from boys".

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Good humor shouldn't feel forced and works best if used sparingly, which is exactly what is done in Deus Ex with some of JC's lines and the delivery. Or the vending machine talk between Gunther and Anna. Albeit less subtle, I also liked Baldur's Gate 2 overall. The party banter between Jan Jansen and pretty much everyone else is hilarious at times. Edwin's quest for glory is also a classic.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Cleve Blakemore's understated neanderthal sense of humor ensured that Grimoire has the best jokes of any RPG:

UR4NJDd.png

0T599B6.png

3Qtfv34.png

uIxA27K.png

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I enjoyed the banter between the Drawf and the Elf in the Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, and of course the Crom jokes of the Barbarian never get old.

Age of Decadence has its moments of dry humour in a number of places, I very much like Vince's writing style.

upNxmCU.png

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Maybe I'm a virgin tranny cuck person of colour but I think Pathfinder: WOTR has some hilarious dialogue if you take the right companions. Greybor is boring as fuck but pretty funny, and Regill is great with good companions.

D:OS was a little bit funny, just a wee bit, at times. Larian knew they couldn't write a good story so they crammed as many jokes and stupid things in there as possible and some of them turned out funny. Not the unholy sequel though, D:OS 2 should be purged from existence.

Overall though there aren't many funny RPGS imo, at most they'll have a comedy quest here or there or a few jokes while being mostly serious.

Anachronox. Being funny is pretty much the only reason to play this JRPG wannabe. Charm and humor are something it exudes with pretty much every character and event.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So not Keef the Thief or MM3-5? Humor in games... gotta be really good for me to lol. I mean Postal original isn't a RPG but that dude has corny lines, sounds like warf, screaming hicks, and I swear one cop is Sipiwitz from NYPD Blue.. YOU WACKO!!

fabrulana

Augur
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Will also mention Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, findsome of it quite amusing. Haven't seen mention of Frayed Knights yet. And then I do remember from long ago some funny scenes in Stonekeep.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So not Keef the Thief or MM3-5?

I remember some decent jokes in M&M III, like a sign: "Beware of the trees" when entering the forest close to the swamp city (of course, you get "treant" enemies to fight there) and the "oh no! bugs" which are well named because the second time you encounter them, early game, you're like : "Oh no! Not the bugs again" and that's if you survived the first encounter.

laclongquan

Arcane
There's only moments and sections, not entire game. RPG is not comedy~
  • Star Wars Knight of the Old Republic 1, HK47's dialog
  • Baldur's Gate 2, Jan's dialog in related to onions, potatoes, and root vegetables. Much more elsewhere but this is ... impressionable.
  • Hammer & Sickles. The entire game's dialogs are dry humour in a way only people rooted in communism culture, or union's culture, or workers' culture, understand.
  • Silent Storm Sentinels, the entire thing are humour in russian way. In particular, the final choice between stealth infiltration or being cannon fodder and frontal assault as distraction. It reeks of dark/gallow humour~
An exception would be Vampire the Masquerades Bloodlines. Since noone else mention it I think. Nearly the whole thing is humourous. Most impressive would be the entire manipulation of having players, the greedy creatures, doing VV's quest for poems! FOR POEMS!!!

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I guess Age of Decadence is generally too somber and above making jokes, but even there you could die laughing at Miltiades encounter.
Age of Decadence is quite funny, maybe even more because it is so serious and violent, giving more strength to lighter moments. The skills descriptions are also great, I like the "You're the proud owner of a new bridge" for low Streetwise.
And yeah, the Miltiades face makes me laugh each time.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
The Alpha Protocol 'sarcastic' responses were done right, compared to the awful ones in Fallout 4.
Atom has some moments.
The lead up to collecting sex cards in Witcher 1 was often amusing.
I personally enjoyed the Wild Wasteland gags in NV, as well as the random encounters in F2, although some complain it breaks the fourth wall.
There were a few dead-pan gags in Deus Ex.
Wasteland 2 and 3's humor was try hard and often degenerate for the sake of.

quixotic

Learned
(This is a JRPG, bear with me:smug:)
LISA The Painful has some wonderful humour, both light-hearted and dark.
One moment that really stuck with me ever since I played it was a Metal Gear Solid 3-esque climb.
The climb takes about 2 minutes of in-game time, it plays this triumphant and motivating song as you ascend, all the while you can’t help but wonder what’s at the end.
But once you reach the top...
The_meaning_of_life.png

It’s just a literal middle finger.
It also doesn’t let you walk off the sides of the platform to kill yourself, it forces you to either climb all the way back down in complete silence, or to Alt F4. :lol:

Starwars

Arcane
Stick of Truth is probably the only game that somewhat fits into the RPG category that I found really funny at the time of playing it. Compare that to Outer Worlds (not a comedy game in the same sense obviously but still puts humor at the forefront) which is completely unfunny most of the time.

Disco Elysium definitely has its moments too, as does the Witcher games. The Witcher 1 kinda becomes a weird mix of funny and unintentionally funny, at least with the english translation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom