Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer 40,000: SPACE MARINE 2 by Saber Interactive - Titus takes on the Tyranids - coming September 9th

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How do you even do woke writing on a Warhammer 40k game? Games Workshop producers have to authorize every line, you can't just write whatever you want. Seems like the furthest you could go is add some subplot about how the repression of the Imperium leads to some citizens being drawn to the cult of Slaanesh or something (before showing them all being righteously crushed underfoot anyway). Seems unsatisfying if you're an SJW.

Make a major character in the story like a commissar a female who is a total badass that kills powerful enemies with ease, is a brilliant commander that leads Imperial Guards against overwhelming odds and she lectures Space Marines and the protagonist about ways of war.

Then you hear protagonist saying things like "If we had women like you in the chapter this war would be done in a day." or other slightly subtle versions of "You are so cool and badass, you put to shame us super soldier men, you are so awesome!"

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
"You know Hark, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them fucking each other over for their goddamn pronouns."

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Design-wise, Tyranids are the lamest Space Swarm in history of fiction.
They look like chinese off-brand alien toys sent by mistake to a dildo factory halfway through manufacturing process.

square_tryanid.png

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Design-wise, Tyranids are the lamest Space Swarm in history of fiction.
They used to be cooler, by having crazy stuff such as acid blood, centaur running around, and so on, but future editions and such retconned the fun out of the 'Nids.

I wonder if this game is a prequel to the first one, as IIRC it ended with Titus imprisoned and thus unlikely to help with Xenos attacks, unless he was released "on parole".
Also, another example of pozz in GW books: There was that audiobook about the Adeptus Mechanicus that had the main character used made-up pronouns because he's a cyborg, kek.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I wonder if this game is a prequel to the first one, as IIRC it ended with Titus imprisoned and thus unlikely to help with Xenos attacks, unless he was released "on parole".
Considering he seems to have been promoted to a super sergeant or something that was added fairly recently in the lore, odds are that the inquisition found him innocent (potentially through a trial of adversity) and he then excelled and got promoted. Space marines can live for hundreds of years afaik, so there's plenty of time to spend a decade or two being tortured to prove your faith in big E is legit and still have a lot of xenokilling left.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
How do you even do woke writing on a Warhammer 40k game? Games Workshop producers have to authorize every line, you can't just write whatever you want. Seems like the furthest you could go is add some subplot about how the repression of the Imperium leads to some citizens being drawn to the cult of Slaanesh or something (before showing them all being righteously crushed underfoot anyway). Seems unsatisfying if you're an SJW.

Check the latest HH novels for a reference. Or hell, the latest WH40k novels in general. Stuff like a woman second-guessing fucking Girlyman, men being blamed as responsible for everything, a dumb bitch being responsible for casting the Primarchs into the Warp... Oops, don't count the last one.

-The Gene-witches seem to have some weird vibe to them. When the Protag gene-witch said that "it's the nature of mankind to destroy", she put stress on the man part. Also when one of the marines got offended by a comment the gene-witch made, she said that he is fragile and that is a side effect of his hyper aggressive masculine traits. Another thing she said is that the Selenar always underestimated the cruelty of men.

-The duty of the Selenar was to move unseen through the ages in the world of men and make sure that the power of creation did not fall in the hand of men. But the man that calls himself Emperor took that gift from them for his purposes and as expected of men like him he shaped it into a weapon of conquest and destruction. Now instead of a mortal war that burns out in a mortal span, the galaxy is set ablaze. When gods war, everyone burns alongside them.
https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/espxp1/the_interesting_bits_from_siege_of_terra_sons_of/
I wish she had said that in the presence of a Black Templar so she could find out how deep he could smash her into the nearest wall.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Definitely not.
- He has four golden service studs on his forehead compared to the two in the first game, so two centuries have passed.
- He has a Seal of Purity on his right shoulderpad which I guess means he was absolved by the Inquisition.
- He's now a Primaris marine.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think that GW wouldnt pass up on an opportunity to push the new 40K timeline and the primaris marines. It would be cool if the game was set in the Tyrannic Wars though...

lightbane

Arcane
Right, that explains why I felt it was odd, as I was expecting for the leaked script for the sequel to be used, aka him escaping from the Inquisition and going rogue while exploring his resistance to the Warp thing, rather than Titus becoming a Primaris and thus even more of a snowflake, but I guess the idea is to play it safe.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Right, that explains why I felt it was odd, as I was expecting for the leaked script for the sequel to be used, aka him escaping from the Inquisition and going rogue while exploring his resistance to the Warp thing, rather than Titus becoming a Primaris and thus even more of a snowflake, but I guess the idea is to play it safe.

I don't think him becoming a primaris makes him more of a snowflake considering how many named space marine characters did the same. Though I'd guess it'd be easier to just have one type of space marine instead of confusing people less familiar with the universe.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

I don't think him becoming a primaris makes him more of a snowflake considering how many named space marine characters did the same. Though I'd guess it'd be easier to just have one type of space marine instead of confusing people less familiar with the universe.

Primaris and other changes exist because of the Chapter House lawsuit where GW got their clock cleaned over their claiming of common English words and phrases as their own like Space Marines and Eldar. By using new names they can safely trademark them and protect them from others.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Primaris and other changes exist because of the Chapter House lawsuit where GW got their clock cleaned over their claiming of common English words and phrases as their own like Space Marines and Eldar. By using new names they can safely trademark them and protect them from others.
don't see what you posted have anything to do with what I wrote. I didn't talk about why GW introduced primaris in the setting; as an aside I'd say it was more to make loads of new marine miniature their fans and wargamers will buy, I mean when they renamed Eldar, DEldar and IG, they didn't release entire new ranges of minis. But rather why having Titus made the transition to Primaris doesn't change much his snowflake status, because there's already many characters who did the same and as a video game protag, he's already a snowflake of rather high order

Also didn't Chapterhouse mostly lost since it doesn't exist anymore? Like GW didn't lose anything, just had to change a few names here and there, while the lawsuits Chapterhouse brought onto themselves cost them so much they got bankrupted?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

don't see what you posted have anything to do with what I wrote. I didn't talk about why GW introduced primaris in the setting; as an aside I'd say it was more to make loads of new marine miniature their fans and wargamers will buy, I mean when they renamed Eldar, DEldar and IG, they didn't release entire new ranges of minis. But rather why having Titus made the transition to Primaris doesn't change much his snowflake status, because there's already many characters who did the same and as a video game protag, he's already a snowflake of rather high order

Also didn't Chapterhouse mostly lost since it doesn't exist anymore? Like GW didn't lose anything, just had to change a few names here and there, while the lawsuits Chapterhouse brought onto themselves cost them so much they got bankrupted?

I wasn't disagreeing with what you said. I pointed out the why they did what they did. They were already changing force lists every edition long before the current year to push certain models.

They won the war and battle against GW. They went bankrupt due to the costs of the lawyers, but won for everyone else. Sometimes sacrifices must be made for the betterment of everyone.

baud

Arcane
Patron

I wasn't disagreeing with what you said. I pointed out the why they did what they did. They were already changing force lists every edition long before the current year to push certain models.
Sorry, I though you did.

They won the war and battle against GW. They went bankrupt due to the costs of the lawyers, but won for everyone else. Sometimes sacrifices must be made for the betterment of everyone.
Not sure going bankrupt count as winning the war. They might have won a battle than allowed other third-party companies to compatible pieces. Or maybe it is lose the battle (CH goes bankrupt) and win the war (third party sellers continue to sell, but without too much direct references to GW's trademarks)?
And if they had really won in court, they'd have forced GW to pick up the tab.

Last edited:

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I wish they'd make a game where you get to kill the Tau while they and their fans are being mercilessly ridiculed.

lightbane

Arcane
I wonder if this will be like Woketech again and feature massive amounts of lore rape and/or attacks against common sense.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Genuinely surprised that the game's creative director responded constructively there instead of accusing the fans of bigotry:

Soon after their social media history came to widespread attention, Cooper’s position was publicly defended by Warhamer 40,000: Space Marine II Creative Director Oliver Hollis-Leick, who attempted to assure fans that the Senior Writer had ability to put aside their beliefs for the sake of the game’s story.

“Ashley is one of the writers on our team, which includes myself,” Hollis-Leick explained to a number of worried fans on Twitter [1, 2]. “We’re working hand in hand with Warhammer and Black Library to create a true 40k adventure of epic scale. All we care about is delivering an experience that honours everything that makes 40k what it already is.”

2021.12.13-10.56-boundingintocomics-61b7cfa415bbd.png

After receiving a wave of skepticism from fans, Cooper deleted their initial announcement tweet, eventually posting a more somber follow-up message in an attempt to reassure fans of their commitment to the series’ identity.

“We know how much this universe means to you,” wrote Cooper. “We know how much you have hoped for Titus to continue his story. We, and Games Workshop, want to do the game justice, and the fans proud.”

2021.12.13-11.04-boundingintocomics-61b7d161e3230.jpg

One such critic, Twitter user Lord Metal Man, explained the situation to Cooper, writing, “Genuinely hope you live up to that promise. I hope you are aware of the burden you have taken here.”

“Do not take anything said by anyone,” the user continued. “We’ve had our hopes trampled on and mocked too much in the past. It has left us all very cynical. Let us see what time brings.”

In response to Lord Metal Man, Hollis-Leick continued his attempt to extend an olive branch, speaking with one fan who feared “stupid inserts of current day nonsense, identitarianism & unwanted politiking” and claiming that the writers had dedicated themselves to the series’ lore.

He also revealed that Space Marine II’s story has the approval of Warhammer 40,000 author George Mann (Will of Iron, Revelations, and The Fallen), and promised that the game will match the tone the franchise is known for.

“That trailer matches our vision perfectly,” Hollis-Leick explained. “It’s not just a glossy marketing piece. When we say grim dark, we mean GRIM DARK. It’s BRUTAL. True Angel of Death moments a plenty.”

2021.12.13-11.07-boundingintocomics-61b7d2305bbb4.jpg

vonAchdorf

Arcane
No complaints about toxic entitled fans?

I'm not a fan of Cooper's politics, but I'll judge her involvement with the game on her writing not on her Twitter account. I'd like to see a proper continuation of Titus' story, but I can live without it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom