Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

sigard

Not Excidium

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The only really bad thing about the first Silent Storm game was the final boss fight - fuck that shit. Sentinels is fine, Hammer & Sickle has a great premise and a lot of great stuff, but can be pretty confusing at times (as in what to do to progress). In any case all three are worth playing even in this day and age. I got no experience with the day/night watch games, though I read that they suck. Tin is supposed to be p.good, but also very rough around the edges.

Last edited:

Alter Sack

Magister
The panzer kleins ruined the game for me.

At the beginning before their introduction the game was pretty great.

Fargus

Arcane
Nothing really worth playing other than OG Silent Storm and Sentinels. Finished both of them twice. Finished Hammer and Sickle but can't say i enjoyed it. The devs were amateurs and the game itself was too short and not well made. Difficulty aside.

The rest seem like shitty games based off of shitty russian movies.

BTW i love how you named your char 1488.

Gahbreeil

Learned
I agree with the mention of the engine in itself. It is such fun to see destructible environs. Unfortunately it's the only good part of the game for me. And Hammer and Sickle was very short.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Yeah Silent Storm is what I'd call a classic, though still not up there with the greatest. Very good mechanics and amazing physics engine, but it lacks the charm that JA2 and even X-COM had.

Gumsmith

Educated
These games were great fun for younger me. Back then I thought the Panzerkleins were damn cool and was perfectly happy to use them though nowadays I can see them for how obnoxious they are (Make my units slower, with half-assed crouching, no prone, no climbing and less weapon variety? This sounds great!) Definitely would've been better games if there were only one or two 'kleins for boss fights and none given to the player.

I recently-ish got my hands on Hammer & Sickle and was expecting to enjoy it as there's an ache in my heart for new Silent Storm content. The others in here aren't kidding when they say it's hard, the game kicked my ass with two parts of it in particular, the first being the limited amount of soldiers (which you can miss entirely) and the second being the jacked up interrupt stats that all the enemies are sporting. A pretty deadly combination I'd say. Trying to play the game without save scumming requires more fortitude than I had and I never finished it.

Anyways, Silent Storm was the game that first introduced me to turn based tactics and I've a soft spot for it thanks to that, though nowadays I can't muster enthusiasm to play it as I know how it all goes.

Gumsmith

Educated
downloaded from different source and reinstalled :
1. tried "clean" start meaning no no-cd patch -> only starforce will start
2. tried only no-cd patch -> game don't start
3. tried only no-cd patch + unofficial patch -> game don't start
4. tried no-cd patch form gamecopy***** and another one that was added to cd3, both seems to be identical?. Both don't work.

Looks like i be skipping this game. What a shame.
Thankfully i completed this game 10+ years ago ( game on windows xp worked perfectly ) so i remember some of it.
Dang, I don't have ideas then.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Hammer & Sickle doesn't work on my pc :negative:
Win 10. I used :
http://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/unofficial-english-patch-1.15-h-and-s/
and no-cd patch from gamecopy****
And nothing happens when i try to start a game :negative:

Sentinels impressions soon

maybe laclongquan can help me?
1. Complain how idiots developers even 10+ years after release didn't remove that shit.
2. Complain how idiots developers were greedy.
3. Be happy theirs greed destroyed theirs fame, and stayed as obscure company.
4. PIRATE XP.
5. Install XP into some virtual box.
6. Play the game.

laclongquan

Arcane
I did my last run of S2/S3/HS Last year or even before that. Not remember too much about it now because too much time spending with Fallouts

And I never run windows 10, so no chance at all I ever run the game on it. Either XP or Windows 7~

I remember there's used to be problem with D3D 9x and graphic drivers.

If you cant remove starforce on that bugger, there's going to be problem between Starforce and W10, ie not supported, not run.

Remove its cd protection program is the best way, because it prevent starforce fucking with your windows. Either try GCW or this link
http://www.mediafire.com/file/67arbq2xr93b1lf/rld-has.rar/file

Have you tried right click on exe, run it on winxp, and run as admin yet?
------------
I might have been nocd the v1.0, then apply the unofficial patch 1.15 from strategycore http://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/unofficial-english-patch-1.15-h-and-s/
Just drive around the official patch since you cant nocd it~

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Thanks, but nothing works. Tried no-cd exe from your link, compatibility mode with win xp and unofficial patch 1.15.
For some reason game refuses to start no matter what i do.
What a shame. :cry:
Have you tried to run it without unofficial patch?

Ladonna

Arcane
I really enjoyed all three of the WW2/Cold War games. HnS was really good once I worked out how to avoid WW3. I also found the original game more enjoyable by avoiding the use of Panzerkleins. It was really fun trying to outflank them and take out the driver, while the damn things slowly try and waste my men, taking out buildings and blowing shit up left and right. Snipers are especially good at taking out PK drivers, while the other guys provide cover and distraction (while trying to avoid getting blown to hell).

It is a shame that the SS engine wasn't tightened up (especially around some of the skill usage training. While I didn't need to take out buildings to get gun skills up, I understand where you are coming from with other skills) and bigger WW2/around that period scenario's weren't developed. There was virtually no advertising or mention of these games here, and it was only that I spied the box at the PC games store that I found out about it. I haven't played the later SS engine games so it will be interesting to see what people here think of them.

Good luck getting HnS to work. I might have to see how wine goes with it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Though those laser weapons really make short work of the Panzies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom