Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

hackncrazy

Savant
Finished this last night. I enjoyed it but only because I followed a walkthrough. No way in hell could I figure out some of those puzzles without one.

I'd like this game a lot more if there wasn't some puzzle you had to solve every 5 steps.
Why on Earth would you play (and finish!) an RT blobber if you don't like puzzles? That's like literally their whole raison d'être.

I like the character creation and the variation of builds. I don't mind the combat. I'd actually like to play again and try other classes/builds but the the puzzles are too much. I don't mind searching for hidden buttons, but some of the solutions to these puzzles are ridiculous. There are plenty of blobbers without puzzles this obtuse. Also the game just looks incredible.

It's funny how we're in a complete opposite spectrum when it comes to this game.

I love the puzzles in it and the fact that you don't have to pixel hunt for anything, since everything has a logic solution.

On the other hand, the combat is abysmal. At some point, I set the difficulty on easiest because the difference on winning a fight on easy or hard is just the amount of patience you have to keep square dancing.

But in general, I agree with adddeed. LOG1 is a much smaller and cohesive game compared to LOG2. I like it more because it's much more claustrophobic and atmospheric than 2.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished this last night. I enjoyed it but only because I followed a walkthrough. No way in hell could I figure out some of those puzzles without one.

I'd like this game a lot more if there wasn't some puzzle you had to solve every 5 steps.
Why on Earth would you play (and finish!) an RT blobber if you don't like puzzles? That's like literally their whole raison d'être.

I like the character creation and the variation of builds. I don't mind the combat. I'd actually like to play again and try other classes/builds but the the puzzles are too much. I don't mind searching for hidden buttons, but some of the solutions to these puzzles are ridiculous. There are plenty of blobbers without puzzles this obtuse. Also the game just looks incredible.

It's funny how we're in a complete opposite spectrum when it comes to this game.

I love the puzzles in it and the fact that you don't have to pixel hunt for anything, since everything has a logic solution.

On the other hand, the combat is abysmal. At some point, I set the difficulty on easiest because the difference on winning a fight on easy or hard is just the amount of patience you have to keep square dancing.

But in general, I agree with adddeed. LOG1 is a much smaller and cohesive game compared to LOG2. I like it more because it's much more claustrophobic and atmospheric than 2.

LoG2 limited square dancing.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Dungeon Master and the subgenre it spawned are focused on exploration centered around puzzles; someone who dislikes puzzles would be playing the wrong subgenre. However, Legend of Grimrock II, as a sequel, was intentionally given more difficult puzzles than its predecessor, so you might enjoy the original LoG more (without relying on a walkthrough).

d3iOhlP.png

z49Nbyb.png

8w8JF8L.png

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I just remembered I wrote two reviews of this game -- one was the serious review, and then I wrote a fake review to see who I could troll. I can't remember if I ever posted the fake one here.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

I loved the combat in the games. Moving around (what you call dancing) was part of the tactics. I mean no one complains you move around in Morrowind or Fallout?? Its a weird complaint.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Im sure you can cheese a lot of things in this game as in all other games. Whats your point?
Moving around in a 3d game shouldnt come as a surprise to anyone or be a criticized.

I don’t remember the puzzles in LoG2 being all that obtuse, and I just replayed it about 6 months ago. There were a few that took a little bit of time, and a couple that required you to go to the opposite end of the world map to find hints, but I don’t think I had to google any solutions.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
There are a couple of "hidden" puzzles like the "relic" which I didn't find any clues for at all and others I might have just plain missed, but I think I got about 80% of the content in LoG2 without hitting the hints too hard.

I have been playing the Lost City mod and I would say its about 30% harder again than the base game, both in terms of combat and difficulty of puzzles.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tell me about this mod. Sell me on it. I really liked Grimrock but never finished 2. I kind of got too depressed about there not being any more sequels 60% through.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Its essentially more of the same; if GR2 didn't grab you until the end, this won't either. That being said, it is a very high-quality mod; a lot of thought and care has gone into it.

axx

Savant
Besides Lost City I also recommend Guardians mod (spiritual successor to former). Most importantly you can trade clutter items for gems and there are some other new mechanics.
But yeah if you haven't finished the original campaign don't even try, it's not a short mod by any means.
Anyway about a month ago was the 10th anniversary of LoG1.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Just beat the game, missed 20 secrets, and looked up the solution to the very final puzzle online because I couldn't be arsed after 40 hours. All in all pretty good game but gosh darn it the combat, gonna play a turn based blobber now.

Covenant

Savant
Picked this up in a recent sale and I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I hadn't really read very much about it but had a dim memory of the Codex not really rating it, though I could have been mixing it up with something else.

I'd finished the first game and as far as a modern attempt at Dungeon Master went it had been pretty good, if nothing overly special. The sequel really blew it away though. The open world extended the lifetime of the varying combinations of 'pressure plate + pit + teleporter' puzzles before they started to wear out their welcome, and each zone had a little more to it than just a change in background textures and the predominant element attacks of the enemy. There were some really good set pieces, particularly the desert. So many mummies.

I prefer turn-based combat, but this was probably the best implementation of real-time combat (in a blobber) I've ever seen. It's a very fine balance between every enemy being trivialized by waltzing and making combat into just a matter of hunkering down in the nearest choke point, but by and large, it worked well. It could get a little annoying at times in those rooms where enemies start flooding in from every direction, but I think that's because I was playing on the mode where you can only use each save crystal once. I'd often end up frantically casting Forcefield on one side before spinning around to try and clear a path on the other side to escape and get a bit of breathing room. My party was a Human Fighter, a Minotaur Barbarian, a Human Rogue, and a Ratling Wizard, and they were all level 14 when the game ended.

Consumables, though pretty well-balanced, do make too big a difference for my tastes compared to your gear and your skills. Bear potions seem to destroy anything, to the point that I'd probably recommend you don't even use them unless you're seriously stuck on a particular fight. And at the other end of the scale you get loads of bombs but I rarely found myself using them because it was all I could do in combat to juggle attacking with 3 characters and casting spells with a fourth while still being ready to chug a healing potion if needed. Frost bombs were handy in places, admittedly. I can't help but think both the bombs and special attacks would have worked better in a turn-based system, or at least a slightly slowed down one, though perhaps the pace was sped up because I chose hard mode.

The highlight of the game is definitely its puzzles. Challenging but not unfair, and with a pretty good variety other than just the typical Dungeon Master fare we've all seen before of 'Put rock on pressure plate/take it off' (though there is a lot of that). I finished with 60/77 secrets and was missing a few things that I think would have made life quite a bit easier; the Crystal set chest piece and the Dispel spell, for example. I suspect the 'three steps X and X steps south from X' scroll I picked up somewhere may had been a clue to the chest piece.

The lack of the Dispel spell in particular was a real pain; I had to reload a couple of times after getting trapped in corners by those unkillable elementals, and only got an alternative (the ethereal dagger) pretty late in my playthrough. I'd really encourage game developers not to include monsters who can only be harmed by one/a small number of things unless they're A) near-stationary beef gates or B) you're very unlikely to miss the thing that can harm them. Given that the elementals were just wandering around and not guarding anything in particular, that whole thing just felt like a needless annoyance.

But anyway, the puzzles get very inventive inside the limitations of the engine, and they tie in together pretty well with the lore of the game. In places they felt quite similar to La Mulana and its sequel - those games are retro-Metroidvanias rather than blobbers, but the puzzles often required you to understand the setting and the perspective of the ancient culture that inhabited the ruins you're exploring, and Grimrock definitely evokes that feeling in places. If you liked this game, I'd certainly recommend those two as well, despite the differing genres.

Anyway, very solid game, aside from minor gripes about consumables and a few missing QoL features (an automatic log of any clues you've received/where you found them would have been very nice). Definitely worth picking up even if you're hesitant due to the real-time combat.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Picked this up in a recent sale and I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I hadn't really read very much about it but had a dim memory of the Codex not really rating it, though I could have been mixing it up with something else.

Codex gave good ratings.

It is one of best games in dungeon crawler theme.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I find it interesting that the devs basically decided against LoG3 because they couldn't see a way to improve it in a meaningful way.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Final Adventure mod.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2887835016

You've heard rumors that a mage on a remote island needs the services of adventurers. The promised payment guarantees to provide you with funds until your death. After collecting your best equipment, you signed a contract and came to the Adventurers' Guild.

An open world adventure for a new party.
Expected playtime may vary from 40 to 90 hours, depending on difficulty settings and the goals you try to achieve.

The mod is a "spiritual successor" to The Guardians (but not a sequel).

Features:
- Inherited from The Guardians: development of your own base, mining, cooking, crafting, trading, enchanting, firearms improvement, different item sets, a spell learning system.
- Character classes and skills have been reworked.
- Some spells now belong to special schools of magic, and are only available for learning by certain classes of characters.
- Players earn score points for their achievements. There is a local Hall of Fame. ;)
- Having started the game, the player will be able to choose additional complications or bonuses, which will affect the final score points earned.
- Many quests can be completed in different mutually exclusive ways, sometimes involving a moral choice.
- An improved lockpicking system.
- A rework of the plant growing system.
- Many other changes to the game mechanics.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Never heard of Guardians. And I actually like Grimrock, so maybe this is something for me to check out.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Never heard of Guardians. And I actually like Grimrock, so maybe this is something for me to check out.

Yes, if you did not play Guardians, i advise start with Guardians. And if you like, later move to this mod.

I played like 30+ mods for Grimrock. And The Guardians for me is best of them, probably even better than main game.

I also re-installed this recently (Grimrock 2, never played the first one so far), and it's still a stupidly fun game. What shocked me though was that the download was but like 700mb, with the install in total taking but 2gigs. Sure, it's an indie game. But even a lot of indies take like 5-10 gigs these days. And Grimrock's textures don't look THAT low-res.

Never tried any custom campaigns though. It would have been great had they shipped the game with an editor to easier allow for custom tilesets. Every time I look at a community campaign, I think: I've been there before. Will give it a shot though. Apparently, there have been a few modifications since, such as this winter tileset. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK258c6Bs2c

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom