Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Codex Year of the Donut
I never expected CP2077 to be any kind of a 'life simulator", despite what any of the promo videos or articles showed or said about it.

Sure, they were ambitious, too ambitious. Were they lies, or were they embellishments?

The intelligent person can parse all that out with the memory and knowledge of what CDPR's previous games were like and not be disappointed when the final game comes out. It was basically exactly what I thought it would be -- in fact, actually, during the first few "scripted" missions, and way before all the subsequent patches, the game was better and more simulator-like than I had expected.

My resentment towards CDPR isn't based on what they promised. It's based on them cow-towing to the console crowd and nearly ruining what had already been a p. good PC game.
This is like arguing that the snake oil you bought actually tastes fine. It's missing the point.

Codex Year of the Donut
https://www.windowscentral.com/cybe...ain-and-other-deadly-environmental-challenges
Cyberpunk 2077 features acid rain and other deadly environmental challenges
https://gamerant.com/cyberpunk-2077-wanted-system-corrupt-police/
Cyberpunk 2077 Has A 'Wanted' System and Corrupt Police
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/cyberpunk-2077-producer-details-law-enforcement
Cyberpunk 2077 Producer Details Law Enforcement and the Rich Areas of Night City
There are no cops in the poorer districts. That all changes when you get to the affluent areas of Night City.
https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077...aying-experience-than-the-witcher-3-says-dev/
Cyberpunk 2077 Is a Much Deeper Roleplaying Experience Than The Witcher 3, Says Dev
https://www.vg247.com/cyberpunk-2077-npcs-1000-daily-routines
There will be over 1,000 Cyberpunk 2077 NPCs with daily routines
https://www.gamereactor.eu/exploring-cyberpunks-night-city-with-cd-projekt-red/
"Oh yeah, the city does change! One of the things we've mentioned is some of the people you see walking around, they're based on their own living actions, it's one of the things that makes the city feel more alive. Some areas, for example, will become more dangerous at night and some will become less crowded during the night and more crowded during the day, so you will see the impact of the time of day for sure".
https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/cyberpunk-2077-character-creation/
Cyberpunk 2077 character creation tools are the closest we've got to diverse human representation
https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/09/12/cyberpunk-2077-lifepath-system/
Cyberpunk 2077’s Lifepaths May Make You Want to Replay the Game Multiple Times

wishbonetail

Learned
They ctrl c/v Saints Row formula which is really bland and tired and this whole game looks like Saints Row ripoff with Witcher cutscenes. It's funny to read about Pondsmith and his D&D schtick but it is has nothing to do with this game, like at all.

Wesp5

Arcane
The other critical aspect that feeds into this negative perception is how side content gets dispensed, and this was a massive and gratuitous screwup on CDPR's part - fixers. In TW3, you ramble around and run into NPCs that need stuff done, whereas in CBP, most of these sidequests are supplied as very formulaic Offers You Can't Refuse over the phone as soon as you approach their area. This strips another apparent interaction from Night City, disincentivising the player from exploring and paying attention to the actors around them, and further reinforces the impression that Night City is "empty" and opaque.

You are spot on here, I think I never even met some of the fixers in person! So is there a mod where you actually have to visit and talk to them to get these quests? That would improve the situation and also unclutter the map if you don't want to do any of these gigs...

Yosharian

Arcane
The other critical aspect that feeds into this negative perception is how side content gets dispensed, and this was a massive and gratuitous screwup on CDPR's part - fixers. In TW3, you ramble around and run into NPCs that need stuff done, whereas in CBP, most of these sidequests are supplied as very formulaic Offers You Can't Refuse over the phone as soon as you approach their area. This strips another apparent interaction from Night City, disincentivising the player from exploring and paying attention to the actors around them, and further reinforces the impression that Night City is "empty" and opaque.

You are spot on here, I think I never even met some of the fixers in person! So is there a mod where you actually have to visit and talk to them to get these quests? That would improve the situation and also unclutter the map if you don't want to do any of these gigs...
Lmao yes there is a mod that will do this, it's called 'CDPR Actually Makes A Good Game Instead Of This Piece of Shit', it's coming out in 2022 never

Starwars

Arcane
That's one of my biggest pet peeves with the game as well. Having a phone and using it obviously makes sense in the gameworld, and is a fun extra interactive thing to have in the game, but just shoving the content down your throat via said phone is an awful design decision. And since there are no unique interactions to be found when you actually talk to the fixers face to face, it just completely strips them of personality. If comparing Witcher 3 to Cyberpunk, I think this is one of the absolute biggest declines. In Witcher 3, there were plenty of shitty quests but meeting the quest giver face to face does make a large difference.
Instead of having the "detes" (read background story) getting sent to you as a text message. It's completely uninteresting and completely unengaging. Completely separates the lore of the game from the gameplay.

The first talks with the fixers should've all been a face to face thing, and then being offered something. And each fixer should've ideally had some quest or something that was intricately tied to their particular character. The phone could still be used in a variety of situations. But having it all come as a torrent of phone calls is such a bad design decision.

Gargaune

Magister
Nope, and even if community tools developed to the point you could re-rig quests and access the animation library, you wouldn't be able to pull it off because of the voiceover assets. In each case, the audio was only recorded for short intro phone calls, sometimes with the odd response from V, and the more extensive background info is supplied as text-only in SMS. This is something Mods Won't Fix.

Codex Year of the Donut
how come everyone has your number and knows exactly when to call you
I realize people have contacts, but it feels way too uncanny as soon as you step foot inside their zone they call you immediately

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
probably easiest fix would be to delay phone call until you gain some rep in given area

Zeriel

Arcane
That's one of my biggest pet peeves with the game as well. Having a phone and using it obviously makes sense in the gameworld, and is a fun extra interactive thing to have in the game, but just shoving the content down your throat via said phone is an awful design decision. And since there are no unique interactions to be found when you actually talk to the fixers face to face, it just completely strips them of personality. If comparing Witcher 3 to Cyberpunk, I think this is one of the absolute biggest declines. In Witcher 3, there were plenty of shitty quests but meeting the quest giver face to face does make a large difference.
Instead of having the "detes" (read background story) getting sent to you as a text message. It's completely uninteresting and completely unengaging. Completely separates the lore of the game from the gameplay.

The first talks with the fixers should've all been a face to face thing, and then being offered something. And each fixer should've ideally had some quest or something that was intricately tied to their particular character. The phone could still be used in a variety of situations. But having it all come as a torrent of phone calls is such a bad design decision.

They couldn't even be bothered to code a phone, though. The phone only exists as an abstraction or plot device. If they wanted to immerse you in that way, the way it should have been done is that the phone is an actual device you can use like in GTA (they sure do love GTA, after all!) or those computer screens that do exist in the game. That way you'd have to actually use the phone, call someone up, and activate the thing yourself.

For those who did play the game, if you ever found your way to one of the fixers accidentally, you'll quickly notice that they are an actual in-game NPC with the same dialogue as on the phone. I suspect originally there wasn't going to be the "phone system" and you'd just go to fixers to get missions. It's hugely erratic though--some of the fixers don't exist in the game world, and others do. So I guess just as unfinished and pasted together at the last moment as everything else.

Wesp5

Arcane
In each case, the audio was only recorded for short intro phone calls, sometimes with the odd response from V, and the more extensive background info is supplied as text-only in SMS.

This could still be enough. I'm sure there are some common lines like "Do you have work for me?" if you visit them in person and the answer could be the phone call with a reference to the SMS as before.

Gargaune

Magister
This could still be enough. I'm sure there are some common lines like "Do you have work for me?" if you visit them in person and the answer could be the phone call with a reference to the SMS as before.
Hm, maybe, you'd have to see for yourself, but don't get your hopes too high up. The problem is that quite a lot of them are written more as answering machine messages than a dialogue over the phone. V does have lines sometimes, but not too often. You could hypothetically splice in lines from other, unrelated conversations like some Fallout 4 mods do, to break up fixer monologues, but it'd likely be very hit-or-miss. The other issue is length, because many of these exchanges amount to "V, I need you to steal/kill/sabotage X at Y, detes attached" and might come across as stunted for an in-person chat. Some are longer, but it varies.

chemicalnatzy

Novice
I really like the game. I play this pirated of course, but for me it's better then Witcher 3 because I'm a sucker for Cyberpunk since Syndicate era.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The simulation argument reminds me a little bit of Deus Ex. The developers always kind of billed it as a simulation, and if you go back and read Warren Spector's thoughts on the game he was more interested in building a simulation first.

But it's pretty obvious playing the game that the simulation thing, while it is there, is not the most compelling part. The most compelling part is the actual story, the cheesy/ridiculous characters, the cool millennium-inspired conspiracy theorizing, and the fact that JC wears sunglasses at night.

The difference is we can forgive Deus Ex for perhaps missing the mark on the whole simulation thing because the game is actually a hell of a lot of fun. Cyberpunk fails at the simulation part, but also the game is kind of fucking boring.

Gargaune

Magister
But it's pretty obvious playing the game that the simulation thing, while it is there, is not the most compelling part. The most compelling part is the actual story, the cheesy/ridiculous characters, the cool millennium-inspired conspiracy theorizing, and the fact that JC wears sunglasses at night.
Don't be silly, the most compelling part is the simulation - the vent crawling simulation, to be precise. That's why they call it an Immersive Sim, it simulates you immersing yourself into a tight, dark hole. There's a wide appeal there, perhaps it helps us relate to something...

The difference is we can forgive Deus Ex for perhaps missing the mark on the whole simulation thing
No, no, you might be forgiven. For missing the mark on Deus Ex, you might be forgiven...

Once.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
probably easiest fix would be to delay phone call until you gain some rep in given area
The fix should be some real fucking quests and not the same retarded shit like :go kill some gang, read datapad/computer and loot some shit. Those jobs are fucking lazy garbage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom