Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Arthandas

Liturgist
What's the deal with the rite of passage in Wiz III? The manual says the character stats should be enhanced by their ancestry but all ported chars came out horribly gimped with stats capped at 15.

Suissant

Novice
Anyone having trouble downloading the Mad God's Cosmic Forge Editor? I tried downloading it because I noticed my version is from 2013 and apparently it has been updated a lot since then. The link provided on his site is a google drive one that asks me for a login. I created a google account just to download it and then google says my access is denied and I should send an email to the guy asking for permission. Ugh.

Suissant

Novice
What link? This page? https://mad-god.webs.com/downloads.htm
I just copied the link and repasted in browser then hit download. It was like 3mb right? I haven't used it so dunno if it works. Then again, I have a googledrive account.

Yeah, this link. I tried it on both Firefox and Chrome. It asks for a google account login (I didn't have a google account, but I created one). When I log with my account it says that I don't have permission to download the file and gives me an option to send an email to the owner asking for permission.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yeah, this link. I tried it on both Firefox and Chrome. It asks for a google account login (I didn't have a google account, but I created one). When I log with my account it says that I don't have permission to download the file and gives me an option to send an email to the owner asking for permission.

There's an an outdated version on Snafaru's website here.

I just checked and have the same issue with the google link.

Suissant

Novice

There's an an outdated version on Snafaru's website here.

I just checked and have the same issue with the google link.

Yeah. Someone should contact him and say that his links are fubar. It's a really utile utility

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Which versions of Wizardry 1-4 don't require one to deal with all the floppy handling and aren't on consoles? I never gave this series a shot because the act of juggling so many floppies seemed to be incredibly confusing to me.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Which versions of Wizardry 1-4 don't require one to deal with all the floppy handling and aren't on consoles? I never gave this series a shot because the act of juggling so many floppies seemed to be incredibly confusing to me.

Is there any reason why you don't want to play the SNES versions (translated, better art style and music) of these games?

Disciple

Savant
Wizardry IV wasn't ported to any Nintendo console, was it? It can only be played via some DOS or Apple ][ emulator.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Is there any reason why you don't want to play the SNES versions (translated, better art style and music) of these games?
Keyboard interface.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Apple ][ version doesn't force you to do disk swapping all the time. I don't even remember if I had to deal with it at all.

DOS version from The Ultimate Wizardry Archives
IIRC DOS versions of Wizardry are notoriously buggy.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex

Typing is fun!

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Keyboard interface.

I always play PS1 and SNES versions with keyboard.

Casual Hero

Augur
I do prefer the way that the DOS version controls. Having every action bound to a single button on a keyboard is more comfortable than using a cursor to select things from a menu. I find the SNES very to be very "button-mashy".
That being said, it really isn't a HUGE deal. The DOS version has a nice interface, but it isn't really worth playing because of the messed up progression. If going for a version with a keyboard, the best port is probably on the PC-98.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

That's a good question. I had just downloaded the PC-Engine CD version of Wizardry I & II (because they're combined like that, 3&4 are together too) and thought to myself, isn't this massively altering the experience to the point that it isn't the same game? That actually is the case with M&M 1 on NES and some Japanese PC ports of games. Also, it might not be a good idea to play a complex and hard game in a language I am still learning. (for this reason its probably not a good idea to play the PC-98 version, sorry AdvancedHero) I do realize from the obvious perspectives that the other three console versions are very nice, but I want to see if I can rough it out from the raw perspective first.
IIRC DOS versions of Wizardry are notoriously buggy.
The DOS version has a nice interface, but it isn't really worth playing because of the messed up progression.
I would like explanations of these, even if half-remembered.
I'm also guessing that the Macintosh and C64 versions don't have any virtues then? I guess they are missing some of the series though.

Sinatar

Arbiter
I would like explanations of these, even if half-remembered.

The formulas for determining whether stats go up/down/stay on level up are *completely* fucked on DOS. So by the end of the game your characters will usually have stats significantly lower then what they started with, which makes class changes almost impossible.

newtmonkey

Arcane
As an addendum, based on playing through the DOS versions of W1-3&5, it's really only an issue with W3. You will typically roll enough bonus points during character generation in W1 to ensure that each character's important stats are 18+, so those stats are "safe".

It becomes a MAJOR issue with W3, since your stats are all capped to class minimums when you transfer your party into the game (i.e. you won't have even a single stat at 18). I found that I really needed to save scum just to ensure that my characters did not become increasingly ineffective as they leveled up.

---

I did enjoy playing through the DOS versions, especially due to the quick interface (I even ended up liking the CGA graphics). However, I'd recommend just playing the PSX versions which are all very faithful ports that 1) can be set to English, 2) can be set to "classic" graphics (wireframe dungeons, PC98 style monster graphics), and 3) don't suffer from the stat loss problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom