Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Today I found out about some other guy who is releasing a game under some other entity known as "Rockwell Studios." I politely asked him to change the name of his studio. And then I registered http://rockwell-studios.com/ to show the world that the real Rockwell Studios is the developer of Himeko Sutori.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
I'm looking deeper into this guy's company. I don't want to add too much information pertinent to his company here, for the sake of SEO. But it looks like he has been running a media production company for a while. He has an Instagram account that has a link to his website. There have been several Rockwell Studios before--a photography studio, a recording studio, and this guy's media production company--but until now I've had the only Rockwell Studios in the game development world. And I registered my LLC years ago. I would have been cool with us doing our own things... me developing video games and him making videos or whatever. But if he's branching out into video game development suddenly, that has me concerned.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm looking deeper into this guy's company. I don't want to add too much information pertinent to his company here, for the sake of SEO. But it looks like he has been running a media production company for a while. He has an Instagram account that has a link to his website. There have been several Rockwell Studios before--a photography studio, a recording studio, and this guy's media production company--but until now I've had the only Rockwell Studios in the game development world. And I registered my LLC years ago. I would have been cool with us doing our own things... me developing video games and him making videos or whatever. But if he's branching out into video game development suddenly, that has me concerned.
You need to trademark your business' name if you haven't.
DBA generally confers less protection than a registered trademark, and at a local level.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
You need to trademark your business' name if you haven't.
DBA generally confers less protection than a registered trademark, and at a local level.
Thanks for the advice. Definitely going to work on that trademark.

In other news, I'm working on a new top-tier helmet for rangers. In my notes it was called the Dragonslayer Helm. I imagined a helmet made from a dragon skull. I thought that would be a popular fantasy trope with lots of examples I could use for inspiration, but it turns out to be less common than you might think. Anyway, I started drawing and this is what I came up with.

DragonslayerHelm.png
[Edit: I just now tried it without the bottom jaw. I like that version more.]
DragonslayerHelm2.png

It's OK I guess, but I don't think it looks very much like a dragon or very much like what a ranger would wear. (The armor is an older sprite, and I'm satisfied with it. I'm just talking about the helmet here.) Any thoughts on what I could improve?

I've been working on some other hats too. I thought helms were probably the easiest way to add variety to the sprites, and I really didn't have enough helmets in the base game. So I've been making some other new hats and stuff. Here's a tellerbarret, a graduation cap, and a cultist hood.

Tellerbarret.png
Scholar.png
Cultist.png

I borrowed the gloves from ranger armor and added those to a different armor sprite to make the adventurer tier-2 armor. Maybe I need to recolor the gloves a little to match the other leather parts. The tellerbarret looks really good with the scholar armor too, I noticed. But shown there we have a scholar wearing an academic cap. It's the first hat you'll unlock for caster classes. It was the easiest sprite I drew this week. And we have the cultist hood, which is a bit of a remix of some other sprites. Once you have a big library of sprites, it becomes easier to make new sprites.

I just now realized why these guys look so sickly and pale. I had the skin layer's opacity turned down. I do that when I'm working on another layer. Also, I didn't give them a hair layer so they kind of look like chemo patients.

I've also been making some new shields. Shields are another relatively easy way to add more variety to the game. Here are the Black Knight Shield, Starlight Shield, and Sun Crest Shield.

BlackKnight.png
Starlight.png
SunCrest.png

In the base game, the shield progression was very linear. There was no reason to keep an old shield when the next tier became available. I'm making these shields (and most equipment in the expansion) sidegrades rather than upgrades, or possibly upgrades in an intended role. Most equipment in the game comes with a speed penalty. The Black Knight Shield offers protection similar to a tower shield, but with a lower speed penalty. The Starlight Shield offers bonuses useful to mages, and the Sun Crest Shield offers bonuses useful to clerics and paladins.

If there is one thing I spent a lot of time on, that no one ever complained about, it was equipment variety. And here I am adding more equipment. Like the Crescent Moon Staff.

CrescentMoon.png

Staffs in the base game also had very linear progression. I'm adding a lot more options to the expansion, with some staffs that are better for one class or another, and that scale with different stats, so what's best for one character might not be best for another. The Crescent Moon Staff is designed with druids in mind. And then we also have cups, scriptures and spellbooks, and talismans, which are one-handed alternatives for clerics and other casters to use instead of staffs or wands.

And there is still more equipment that I want to add to the game. So far, I'm up to about 280 pieces of equipment in the game, most of them with unique sprite sheets. I think I need to say that's enough, and get back to making the rest of the game now.

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
The perspective on the dragon helm is a bit wonky (mind you, my example is a quick sketch, it isn't very well done either), and I'd recommend avoiding pure black for the eye sockets, it doesn't fit the palette.

The new items are looking dope, and indeed it's cool to get lots of variety when it isn't purely linear. Battle Brothers completely nailed that aspect of itemization.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
The perspective on the dragon helm is a bit wonky (mind you, my example is a quick sketch, it isn't very well done either), and I'd recommend avoiding pure black for the eye sockets, it doesn't fit the palette.

The new items are looking dope, and indeed it's cool to get lots of variety when it isn't purely linear. Battle Brothers completely nailed that aspect of itemization.
Thanks, bro. Didn't you also fix my demon portrait a long time ago? You've been a huge help. I like your dragon skull. Now I just need to find a way to make it work at pixel scale.

cw8

Cipher
Does anyone know of any sites that offer character facial portraits for free and without those copyright mambo jumbo? Those type that you use for cRPGs or stuff like Jagged Alliance 2. I would draw them myself if I could but I can't draw anything 2D or organic to save my life.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Does anyone know of any sites that offer character facial portraits for free and without those copyright mambo jumbo? Those type that you use for cRPGs or stuff like Jagged Alliance 2. I would draw them myself if I could but I can't draw anything 2D or organic to save my life.
https://artflow.ai/

Codex Year of the Donut

Use artflow, it's licensed under CCBY2.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Nathaniel3W You're welcome!
A lot of it is meh, especially the females, but sometimes it pops out something that's pretty damn good.
1787d5f74f464b88b84b63b23659a95d.webp

trick seems to be to give the AI hints like "cgsociety" and "artstation" along with your prompt, or else it seems to pull from a rather small set of data

It's not deterministic btw, try the same prompt a few times to see what you get.

Last edited:

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In

bard-celestial.gif

Bought some new toys on Black Friday (more like Black November lol), here are the results. Posted in the gamedev thread because these are intended for both my text-based D&D RPG and to be sold on various gamedev asset websites after I extend them to full tracks.

Quilty

Magister

Added a holographic scanner that can register terrain features, derelict vehicles, and cargo. Currently working on displaying buildings on the scanner.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer

Update #4: added projectiles, target control, and weather effects

I don't think I would want to live in a skyscraper where yahoos could just fly around the city with guns blasting. Cool progress though.

In my own news, check this out. I have fully fleshed out the skill boards for each of the expansion's 14 character classes. Each character class has a skill board like this:
EngineerSkillBoardFullSize.jpg

And each character unlocks tiles on their own skill board for each class they've unlocked...
EngineerSkillBoardMini.jpg

so if you have a full party of 7 characters, each with 14 character classes unlocked, each character class with a 12x12 grid of skill boards, that makes for a LOT of information to track. That would make for really big, nasty, nested arrays in the save game files.

And that's where I harness the power of bitwise operations. That may not be a big deal to some of you with computer-science degrees, but I'm pretty proud of myself for identifying a place where I can use it, and then implementing it, and getting it to work.

Each tile can have 1 of 3 possible states: undiscovered, discovered but locked, and unlocked. So I can use 2 bits to store those 3 states (the 2 bits could store up to 4 states, but whatever). If the top-left tile is undiscovered, it's a 0. If it's discovered but locked, it's a 1. And if it's unlocked, then it's a 2. Then the next tile gets the same treatment, but bit-shifted two digits, so its values are 4 and 8 if locked or unlocked. Then the next tile can have values of 16 and 32. And so on. And then I add up the values of the whole row, and one integer represents the state of the entire row. That makes the saved game files much smaller than if I saved them as a json with a bunch of nested arrays.

Also, I added summons to the game. Here's a summoned ghost getting ready to cast something awful on an enemy slime.
GhostSummoned.jpg

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
You can use a picture (bmp) file for the strategy map. File must be copied into a directory.
https://youtu.be/PUq7P3ZmSk0

And I put the unit configurations into a text file. So anybody can make new units, specifying its speed, attack, armor, picture files, etc. I hope this is a good idea (???)

Last edited:

Quilty

Magister

Added a radiation warning sound and a visual notification, but I'm not sure if it's noticeable enough.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Can't remember if I posted in this thread as MoLAoS or not. I'm working on a fantasy geopolitics simulator with a DIP focus. Diplomacy(foreign affairs), Intrigue(shadowy affairs), Politics(domestic affairs). Aiming for a late fall/early winter 2022 date but if I have a lot of interruptions it'll maybe be winter/wpring 2023. Trying to make all the interactions more dynamic and crucially mana/resource free. Aside from maybe Attention Points for characters. Each turn is a month and you can't do everything every month.

Had 3 days of hassle upgrading to the latest version of my graphics and UI libraries. the graphics library had a bug that the old version didn't have and I had to get a simple fix from dev and recompile from source and there were some related headaches.

Wrote some posts for my substack and sort of poked around my old files from when I worked on this in the mid 2010s to get familiar with the project again.

One major issue I have no vs 4-7 years ago is the lack of good forums. TitledMill is gone, City Building Heaven is dead, Bay12 is barely limping along, RockPaperShotgun pc gaming forums are practically on life support. Same for Idlethumbs. I guess I could try quartertothree but I had some drama there 5 years ago so I'd have to request an unbanning and then make lots of non-my game related posts to avoid more drama. Only 1-20 threads there is interesting so it would be hard.

Even the Codex is a shadow of former glory though it is more active than the other options. r/truegaming is no longer self-promotion or wordwall friendly. r/4xgaming is sleepy as fuck. I've got into it a lot with the explorminate people so their semi-active steam forum is out. Maybe I could sneak back to rpg.net? Not sure the community politics is worth the exposure.

Ah well maybe less foruming and less work will help me finish even if it hurts marketing.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Even the Codex is a shadow of former glory though it is more active than the other options. r/truegaming is no longer self-promotion or wordwall friendly. r/4xgaming is sleepy as fuck. I've got into it a lot with the explorminate people so their semi-active steam forum is out. Maybe I could sneak back to rpg.net? Not sure the community politics is worth the exposure.

Man, rpg.net... I don't even want to set foot in that place. Even harmless truthful comments like "Donald Trump is not Satan incarnate" will earn you a permaban. That's in the rules. You are not allowed to defend Trump at all, in any form, or you will get banned. And someone got a warning for saying he or she wanted to buy a Harry Potter book because that's open support of a transphobe. It's like if you took one of those university safe spaces, and applied it to an entire RPG forum, but it's only a safe space if you are a woke special snowflake millennial. And if you have an opinion that is 1 degree out of line with the officially sanctioned groupthink, you get the banhammer.

Imagine that out there somewhere on the internet there's a forum, where people who sacrifice children to Baal go to discuss RPGs. Yeah, you could go there and post about how sacrificing children to Baal is cool and all, and after you've hit the requisite karma or whatever, you can tell them about the game you're working on. But the mental trauma from praising Baal and the taint of associating your game with that community probably wouldn't be worth the sales. That's how I feel about rpg.net.

Edit: Wait, are you on RPG Watch? Go to RPG Watch. They're not so bad. I sometimes forget about them because the community isn't as colorful as it is here.

Edit 2: Former glory? What former glory? In another month I will have been here for 7 years. Is there some ancient glory of which I am ignorant? Did I witness the rise and fall of the Codex and never notice?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Edit 2: Former glory? What former glory? In another month I will have been here for 7 years. Is there some ancient glory of which I am ignorant? Did I witness the rise and fall of the Codex and never notice?

Codex used to be pretty big, we had Chris Avellone shitposting here and Josh Sawyer ranted about the dex being totally wrong when it comes to PoE's attributes being boring in a Ted talk about how to make fun rpg mechanics.
Mitsoda was here aswell I think?

Temaperacl

Erudite
Codex used to be pretty big, we had Chris Avellone shitposting here and Josh Sawyer ranted about the dex being totally wrong when it comes to PoE's attributes being boring in a Ted talk about how to make fun rpg mechanics.
Mitsoda was here aswell I think?
Yeah, there have been a number of notable people who have been here over its lifetime.

I don't remember the timelines of who was here when, but it is important to remember that 7 years is only barely over a third of the Codex's age - it turns 20 this year, I believe.

(Apologies for any typos - on mobile until the holiday vacation is over)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom