Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

Sinatar

Arbiter
So, can we start some kind of petition to have THQNordic shitcan those clowns working on the Gothic Remake and get these fine prestigious folks to do it instead?

Fargus

Arcane
Can someone who's not a Polish shill confirm if it's good?

Well, if you'd trust a word of a russian... I can confirm it's really good. There are of course some things in it i dislike. But it's worth playing if you love gothic series, and they put a lot of work and effort into this mod.

What I don't understand is why the newsposters are playing with their genitals instead of posting about this extraordinary incline.

For the most part i stopped reading news articles on this site, because pretty much all of it is about some pozzed kickstarter trash that Infinito faps to.

Any normal gothic fan will learn about this mod eventually. And if you aren't one you wouldn't give a shit about a gothic total conversion mod anyway. Plus it's on steam and gog for easy access.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Is there a reason to pick mail armor over leather armor? Stat-wise, leather seems better, yet is cheaper...

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
I took a look at that spreadsheet and confirmed: 1H OP. They deal the same or more(!) dmg than 2H while attacking faster and having smaller requirements. Weird af coming from people who recognized DEX was OP in the base game, wanted to fix that and then made the same mistake. As is, there is literally no reason to go for 2H (or STR for that matter). I don't know what to think of this.

2h has better range I believe. Though that doesn't really make up for speed and damage in most cases.

Edit: also looking at that spreadsheet, the highest strength 2h weapon goes up to 240 damage, 1h is 220. So 2h is technically king damage wise.
1H:
hmrKS1o.jpg

2H:
gTQlArd.jpg

Overwhelmingly DEX dependent AND 1H does more dmg while having lower requirements. No way in hell range compensates for all that and, again, how did they let DEX be so OP when they themselves recognized it as such.

notpl

Arbiter
Is there a reason to pick mail armor over leather armor? Stat-wise, leather seems better, yet is cheaper...
Edge damage is vastly more common than blunt, so despite having lower overall stats mail armor has more protection in the area that counts.

notpl

Arbiter
I took a look at that spreadsheet and confirmed: 1H OP. They deal the same or more(!) dmg than 2H while attacking faster and having smaller requirements. Weird af coming from people who recognized DEX was OP in the base game, wanted to fix that and then made the same mistake. As is, there is literally no reason to go for 2H (or STR for that matter). I don't know what to think of this.

2h has better range I believe. Though that doesn't really make up for speed and damage in most cases.

Edit: also looking at that spreadsheet, the highest strength 2h weapon goes up to 240 damage, 1h is 220. So 2h is technically king damage wise.
1H:
hmrKS1o.jpg

2H:
gTQlArd.jpg

Overwhelmingly DEX dependent AND 1H does more dmg while having lower requirements. No way in hell range compensates for all that and, again, how did they let DEX be so OP when they themselves recognized it as such.
Dex does not increase the damage of dex-based melee weapons, which is why they deal more damage than equivalent str-based ones. As for 1h weapons being overwhelmingly better than 2h, well, that's just Gothic. As mentioned before, you'd have to make 2handers deal 2-3x as much damage to even begin to balance them out, or design completely new animations for them, neither of which most teams seem willing to do for whatever reason.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've got a deep-rooted aversion to fan fiction & 'unofficial stuff' in general.

You gotta get over that and stop putting these so-called "professionals" on a pedestal, especially when it comes to game writing. Judge the fiction by its own merits. In this case, Archolos is incredibly faithful to the established lore in the Gothic series, and has often times surpassed it in terms of presentation.

Stop being a fool and play this awesome game.

The most fun I've had with games this year is:

- trying out the work-in-progress Morrowind mods Tamriel Rebuilt, Province Cyrodiil and Skyrim Home of the Nords for the first time
- Archolos, which I am currently playing
- Quake maps made by the community, like the big Arcane Dimensions mod
- several Total War total conversion mods for Medieval 2 and Rome 1, like Europa Barbarorum and Broken Crescent
- Thief fan missions

Modding communities regularly produce content on par with, if not better than, the professional game developers. Especially nowadays, since most modders are stuck in the early 00s when it comes to their design approach, which is infinitely superior to modern design.

NerevarineKing

Learned
Played only a few hours of this so far, but it's way better than Gothic 3 and reminds me of playing G1/2 for the first time again. I hope it can keep up this quality throughout the entire game. This could be GOTY for me, but I did love SMT5 as well.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
No,that was me first armour in the game that bought lol. Hope that the faction armour is not better because i will butthurt. Did anyone find all the ring/amulet sets ?

The most fun I've had with games this year is
Check out black book and vagrus,those are my stand outs of the year. Also atom and ecnased are pretty good if you like fallout like games.

notpl

Arbiter
You gotta get over that and stop putting these so-called "professionals" on a pedestal, especially when it comes to game writing. Judge the fiction by its own merits. In this case, Archolos is incredibly faithful to the established lore in the Gothic series, and has often times surpassed it in terms of presentation...

...Modding communities regularly produce content on par with, if not better than, the professional game developers. Especially nowadays, since most modders are stuck in the early 00s when it comes to their design approach, which is infinitely superior to modern design.
A thousand times this. You have to understand, video games are now a multi-billion dollar industry on par with films. The people who make modern commercial products did not grow up playing video games, they do not enjoy video games, and they have active contempt for the people who do. Quality works are only ever going to come from isolated teams motivated by passion rather than profit from this point forward. Anything good from big studios in the future will be so entirely by accident, and they'll be sure to strip any fun they accidentally included out in the sequel (see doom 2016 -> doom eternal to understand this principle more fully)

Last edited:

Fargus

Arcane
Looks like my blacksmith apprenticeship is fucked. I didn't realize you need animal trophies to craft weapons.... i already sold all of my trophies to hunters. Goddamnit!!!!:x

Locksmith's apprenticeship pay is miserable. Hunters apprenticeship is not an option because i already sold everything. Don't want to become an alchemist apprentice either.

There is butcher also. Is it worth becoming a butchers apprentice and sell all the meat i would otherwise use to cook meals? The pay is pretty good. He buys meat, animal fat and some other stuff. Seems like my only option.

notpl

Arbiter
Looks like my blacksmith apprenticeship is fucked. I didn't realize you need animal trophies to craft weapons.... i already sold all of my trophies to hunters. Goddamnit!!!!:x

Locksmith's apprenticeship pay is miserable. Hunters apprenticeship is not an option because i already sold everything. Don't want to become an alchemist apprentice either.

There is butcher also. Is it worth becoming a butchers apprentice and sell all the meat i would otherwise use to cook meals? The pay is pretty good. He buys meat, animal fat and some other stuff. Seems like my only option.
Monsters continue to spawn throughout the game, the few thousand gold you're missing out on by having sold stuff already isn't really worth worrying about.

And if you think locksmith doesn't pay well you have not been stealing enough.

Butcher might be the most profitable one, though, to make up for the fact that he has nothing to teach you for free.

Just found out that there are invisible walls that stop you from getting into Old Town through the rooftops, this mod is now, officially, literally unplayable!

JK, it still is kinda of a bummer though.

Fargus

Arcane
notpl

I've got a couple more questions if you will. When is the best time to start chugging on perma potions to get the most strength? I have 65 str, should i spent more lps on it or is it enough already? And about Innos altars, do you get perma stat gains for praying and spending gold every day like in G2?

Just found out that there are invisible walls that stop you from getting into Old Town through the rooftops, this mod is now, officially, literally unplayable!

Even if you manage to get there illegally the guards will just shout alarm and murder you like a dirty illegal you are.

Zariusz

Arbiter
I love playing this, i feel like many years ago when i was going to school. Gaming until late night, no stupid walkthroughs and solutions to spoil my fun and reveal story (i really have a problem with this, it takes fun from discovering game and saps any enthusiasm i had for that game), everything has that rewarding feel, exploring and finding valuable loot, rare enemies or easter eggs, fighting tough enemies just to return later with gear that tears them apart, every upgrade feels earned (because of high price). Over 25 hours and i didnt even tried to join any faction yet, just questing and exploring.

notpl

Arbiter
notpl

I've got a couple more questions if you will. When is the best time to start chugging on perma potions to get the most strength? I have 65 str, should i spent more lps on it or is it enough already? And about Innos altars, do you get perma stat gains for praying and spending gold every day like in G2?

Even if you manage to get there illegally the guards will just shout alarm and murder you like a dirty illegal you are.
Bonuses are kept fully separate from LP, you can use everything as soon as you find it.

Innos gives HP, beliar gives gold, adanos gives DR

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom