Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
Crpgs came from tabletop where you only played single character, so you should only be allowed to control your main character in rpgs. Party members should be controlled by ai and only influenced through dialog. As of now the only role you play in party-based rpgs is an almighty puppetmaster.
Maybe. But with games with NPC AI aiding the player the AI is often bad. I mean imagine if party member pathfinding in Baldur's Gate were extended to all non player characters actions. It'd be clusterfuck city.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
After BG3, Larian will gonna make NWN3. It will be a lv 1~4 campaign in 5E and they will hire Sawyer to balance the game

Only to trigger people like myself

dacencora

JRPGs, in general, have a more consistent quality output than Western RPGs, especially post-2005. Many of the good RPGs from recent years fall apart 2/3 of the way into the game, but are still good games despite that. JRPGs do not tend to have that problem.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
A low rank DotA2 or LoL match provides far more tactical challenge and depth than 100% of videogame CRPGs, which all ultimately come down to tactical AI exploits and amassing resources in an infinite span of ingame time
Which is also a reason RTWP vs TB does not matter, in fact RTWP is better because it can prepare you for playing real fantasy party-based combat in DotA2 vs other thinking humans

The only thing RPGs are uniquely good at is immersion, all of the mechanics are ultimately just "Power Process" pavlovian window-dressing but there's only 1 rpg with really good writing per year these days. And they have basically as much replay value as a book has.

Cael

Arcane
JRPGs, in general, have a more consistent quality output than Western RPGs, especially post-2005. Many of the good RPGs from recent years fall apart 2/3 of the way into the game, but are still good games despite that. JRPGs do not tend to have that problem.
How is this triggering? It is the plain truth...

El Presidente

Arcane
JRPGs, in general, have a more consistent quality output than Western RPGs, especially post-2005.
This is true.

Many of the good RPGs from recent years fall apart 2/3 of the way into the game, but are still good games despite that. JRPGs do not tend to have that problem.
But this really isn't, falling apart 2/3 of the way into the game is a fairly widespread issue that most games have across lots of genres, cRPGs notoriously suffer from this but jRPGs do so as well.

Kruyurk

Learned
We could create the best RPG ever if you would just listen to me. You do the art and coding and I'll bring the ideas to make it work. Plus we would all become rich.

Gahbreeil

Learned
Arcanum II will be done on the Temple of Elemental Evil engine and will include as many dialogues, branching and options in conversation as Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Coding (ToEE), check. Art (Arcanum), check. Design (VtM:B), check.

Kruyurk

Learned
Actually I am not Gahbreeil, but I had his thread in mind. You must have summoned him in a way, and he grabbed the opportunity to lay even more ideas.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Arcanum II will be done on the Temple of Elemental Evil engine and will include as many dialogues, branching and options in conversation as Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Coding (ToEE), check. Art (Arcanum), check. Design (VtM:B), check.

I have nothing against ToEE engine and all but with all the troubles the modders are having, I'd definitely go with something else, like KotC 2 engine for a fantasy, low-key but incline experience or with Colony Ship's engine for a modern sci-fi and/or guns + close combat incline experience.

Sure, ToEE was one of the best Turn-Based isometric engine we ever had but since then, KotC happened with the notable difference KotC dev stuck around to fix all the bugs and kept at it with KotC 2.
Also, Colony Ship because Dungeon Rat in the AoD engine is a great tactical-RPG and Colony Ship is an improvement of both AoD and Dungeon Rat.

Hum, strange thread for such a statement, is it not?

Still, i'm sure half the codex is triggered when faced with incline...

Darth Canoli

Arcane
While i'm at it...

Codex GOTY 2021!!!!!

Featuring:

Gather your forces and sharpen your stake to take back the night!

• Play as male, female, or nonbinary; gay, straight, or bi.
  • Choose from classic VtM attributes and skills to build out your character.
  • Meet an ensemble cast of dynamic characters each with their own skills.
  • Enjoy 17 character portraits.
  • Romance other characters, either human or vampire.
  • Hunt vampires, study their ways, or try to be Embraced.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
ToEE = Ultimate combatfag game

TOEE has a good interface and a decent implementation of the ruleset but the actual combat is often mediocre due to simple and uninspired encounter design (and the dungeon exploration is also not exceptional)

This was noticeable back when it came out too.

TOEE is proof that you should not just copy a P&P module into a CRPG, it's fine to use the module as a starting point but even with a good module adjustments will be needed to make a CRPG that is worth the player's time.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
While i'm at it...

Codex GOTY 2021!!!!!

Featuring:

Gather your forces and sharpen your stake to take back the night!

• Play as male, female, or nonbinary; gay, straight, or bi.
  • Choose from classic VtM attributes and skills to build out your character.
  • Meet an ensemble cast of dynamic characters each with their own skills.
  • Enjoy 17 character portraits.
  • Romance other characters, either human or vampire.
  • Hunt vampires, study their ways, or try to be Embraced.

But vampires in that setting don't even usually have sex since:

1. Feeding provides objectively better orgasms

2. They need to actually use their silly blood powers to pop a boner

Zlaja

Arcane
How is this triggering? It is the plain truth...

No, you're both retarded. The golden age of JRPGs was in the 90's and early 2000's. Post-2005 barely anything has been released that belongs in the 'best ever' department of said genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom