Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - coming September 5th

Wunderbar

Arcane
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is getting NFTs, including one that lets you become an in-game ‘metahuman’

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl is one of the bigger releases of 2022, and for better or worse, it’s going to feature one of the biggest tech trends going into next year: non-fungible tokens (or NFTs).

GSC Game World, which is developing the game, has announced the “S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Metaverse,” which will “use blockchain technology to let the community own a piece of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.” That includes the opportunity to become the “first-ever metahuman,” which GSC Game World appears to define as a non-player character rendered in very high detail. (Though a spokesperson confirmed a metahuman won’t be made with Epic Games’ MetaHuman Creator tool). GSC Game World is partnering with NFT platform DMarket on the new items.

To become a “metahuman,” players will be able to bid for an NFT offering that prize as part of an auction taking place in January 2022. Whoever “owns” the NFT to become an NPC in the game will be able to buy and sell it up until a specific claim date after the auction.

For whoever does end up with the NFT, here’s how the process of becoming an NPC in the game will work, GSC Game World CEO Evgeniy Grygorovych told me in an emailed statement:

:deathclaw:

Silva

Arcane
The metahuman talk reminds me of something I always felt would enrich Stalker:

A Souls/rogue-like "no reload". You die, you pay in ammo/rubles/food and go back to the nearest "bonfire". It could be unlimited revivals ala Souls or limited revivals that you cumulate/manage ala Darkwood.

It could be justified supernaturally - maybe protag is a "metahuman" like Scar from Clear Sky, touched by the Zone so it always saves him and sends him to wake up in some shelter, and the more you die the more debilitated you get until you consume humanity find some special artifact - or not, maybe you just pay jink to stalker groups, like Beard and the Skadovsk crew, so they give you a signal emitter and keep an eye on you. The more you pay, the wider the "coverage area" and the less items you lose upon rescue. Or something.

I say this because, frankly, for a game so atmospheric like Stalker, the save-reload-repeat really holds the experience from achieving its full potential. If there's something Souls proved is that nothing generates more tension/immersion than knowing you can't just reload to 3 seconds back if you die, and will have to redo a 5min-10min chunk of play instead. Of course, for this to work the difficulty should be adjusted accordingly, less the game becomes excessively frustrating. The endless waves of monolith in CNPP wouldn't make sense here.

Last edited:

Riskbreaker

Why is you peoples angry? Is only good Eastern European businessman doing some capitalisms!

Silva
That would actually make sence. Both Anomaly and some mods for the original games already experimented with saves being limited to campfires/bonfires.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
sF3mhAL.png

Ghulgothas

Arcane
First batch of Stalker Metahumans was announced. Rest assured, absolutely no expense will be spared integrating them seamlessly into the Zone.

Meta02.jpg
Meta03.jpg
Meta04.jpg
Meta01.jpg
Meta05.jpg

Silva

Arcane
Why is you peoples angry? Is only good Eastern European businessman doing some capitalisms!

Silva
That would actually make sence. Both Anomaly and some mods for the original games already experimented with saves being limited to campfires/bonfires.
Yeah I'm aware of that. But in Anomaly at least it's kinda wonky. Some areas don't have a bonfire nearby, and some set pieces too reliant on "waves of enemies" (Brain Scorcher, CNPP) and so it's an exercite in frustration. A game finetuned for that from the start would be ideal.

First batch of Stalker Metahumans was announced. Rest assured, absolutely no expense will be spared integrating them seamlessly into the Zone.
Meta01.jpg
Metawymyn or not, this shit looks actually cool. Would fit nicely my Bandits faction. :salute:

lametta

Educated
dont like the idea of nfts at all. Could it result in stalker 2(sp game) requiring always online?

A Souls/rogue-like "no reload". You die, you pay in ammo/rubles/food and go back to the nearest "bonfire". It could be unlimited revivals ala Souls or limited revivals that you cumulate/manage ala Darkwood.

It could be justified supernaturally - maybe protag is a "metahuman" like Scar from Clear Sky, touched by the Zone so it always saves him and sends him to wake up in some shelter, and the more you die the more debilitated you get until you consume humanity find some special artifact - or not, maybe you just pay jink to stalker groups, like Beard and the Skadovsk crew, so they give you a signal emitter and keep an eye on you. The more you pay, the wider the "coverage area" and the less items you lose upon rescue. Or something.

I say this because, frankly, for a game so atmospheric like Stalker, the save-reload-repeat really holds the experience from achieving its full potential. If there's something Souls proved is that nothing generates more tension/immersion than knowing you can't just reload to 3 seconds back if you die, and will have to redo a 5min-10min chunk of play instead. Of course, for this to work the difficulty should be adjusted accordingly, less the game becomes excessively frustrating. The endless waves of monolith in CNPP wouldn't make sense here.

You can play this if you download Anomaly and use bonfire mode and set up permadeath with/without lives

Anomaly is free. It's a huge standalone mod that uses a 64-bit version of the Xray engine and has all the maps from all the STALKER games. It's mainly just the sandbox gameplay, though. But that's fine.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Explain this to me as if I was five. I don't understand how it works, except it creates some kind of unique digital link or whatever for ownership?? But how does this translate into gaming? Been reading that UBIsoft want to do it too. How do they expect to earn money from this?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Alienman probably some unique content for whales/paypigs. Not particularly different from other microtransactions, they are using blockchain because it's trendy.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!

A few mods have featured "fire saves". Most notably in NLC7, where it's a very difficult and dangerous mod, and the sources of fire light not only are often not obvious throughout the maps (such as in the underground, where there are no campfires.... but there are saves for attentive people) but you need to make sure you have enough matches to light them if you want to save. Some people don't appreciate this system, I did however, I think it adds a lot of tension and real difficulty to the game. By technicality, every game becomes "easy" when you can just make a save state before any possible failure state.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Explain this to me as if I was five. I don't understand how it works, except it creates some kind of unique digital link or whatever for ownership?? But how does this translate into gaming? Been reading that UBIsoft want to do it too. How do they expect to earn money from this?
So in other games, the NFT is an item with its own blockchain ID on it, so every item is "unique" in a sense, like if you buy a golden toilet from Betty White's estate, now you have the bragging right of owning not just a random digital toilet, but Betty White's golden toilet.

But in STALKER 2's case, it's even more stupid, because the NFT is apparently a raffle ticket with an expiration date, people can buy or sell it or whatever and the final owner of it will become the NPC in the game, after that whether their 3D model can be put on the marketplace is a mystery. GSC earns money every time it changes owner since they take from each transaction I think.

R@tmaster

Educated
The person will need to come to our studio for a detailed scanning procedure and after that, we will have everything to make this person appear in the game world as one of the characters.
Is this studio accidentally located in Donbass?
bBsG3RI.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom