Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Memorable cRPG villain

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I feel bad for people who get spoiled about Dagoth Ur before finishing Morrowind. I played it not knowing what was coming and when I entered that last dungeon and that voice started talking to me... words can't describe the awesomeness of that moment. Everything about that last part of the game is just absolutely fantastic

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

While I liked the Master, the idea of being told to fuck off when it came to talking down the villain was so much more satisfying. Especially because of how it's executed, it shows you how witty Frank Horrigan actually is.

> Can't we just talk this over?

> We just did. Time for talking is over.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I feel bad for people who get spoiled about Dagoth Ur before finishing Morrowind. I played it not knowing what was coming and when I entered that last dungeon and that voice started talking to me... words can't describe the awesomeness of that moment. Everything about that last part of the game is just absolutely fantastic

For me the end game was somewhat ruined by the very poor level/dungeon design of the final areas.
But I loved the sense of ambiguity about the whole story line.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This bastard all the way. What is an rpg anyway.

If we're restricting to CRPGs then all I got is Irenicus because he did the job of pissing the player off properly, notwithstanding that he was partly ripped off of a Jack Vance villain.

I suppose it's the nature of an good crpg to accommodate a variety of functional builds and nonlinear actions but I feel like they do a poor job of making memorable villain fights in comparison to something like Kuze above.

If we're considering not just villains, but antagonists in general, than Majima is definitely one of the most memorable characters.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
For me the end game was somewhat ruined by the very poor level/dungeon design of the final areas.
But I loved the sense of ambiguity about the whole story line.

Yeah, Morrowind's final dungeons are incredibly poor. I feel like all the dungeon work went into Arkngthand. You would have expected that one to be the final dungeon of the game.
Still, I prefer a disappointingly short and simple final dungeon, over a maddeningly long and tedious final dungeon.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
villains that are far more powerful than the protagonist such that they can't be defeated by the protagonist's primary methods of defeating their enemies
I'd argue that this is not so important as putting up a good fight when the occasion calls for it. After all, if a protagonist's primary method is good old fashioned melee, making the villain a mage immune to melee is cheap rather than threatening. If the villain is able to match the protagonist in his chosen method of problem elimination, that's better.

villains that simply have a good motive(with perhaps questionable means) who make you question if they're actually the ones who are right, bonus points if you really can join them
Yeah, or show capable of personal traits and qualities worthy of admiration.

If we're considering not just villains, but antagonists in general, than Majima is definitely one of the most memorable characters.
Guy ain't an antagonist just because you fight him most of the time.

Eisen

Learned
The Master

OH MY GOD!!

THE MASTER! FROM FALLOUT 1!!!!

BROFIST~!!!!!!!

d90.png

Codex Year of the Donut
I'd argue that this is not so important as putting up a good fight when the occasion calls for it. After all, if a protagonist's primary method is good old fashioned melee, making the villain a mage immune to melee is cheap rather than threatening. If the villain is able to match the protagonist in his chosen method of problem elimination, that's better.
I was alluding to someone like Gaunter O'Dimm who completely outmatches Geralt.

Geralt never bests O'Dimm in combat, he beats him in a battle of wits.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
A pattern I've noticed is that while the main antagonist usually is quite forgettable, their lieutenants or unrelated minor antagonists, are often quite memorable.

An example would be someone like Loghain from Dragon Age Origins. Although he is not the main antagonist, you personally experience his betrayal and you personally witness the fallout of his actions, both immediate and longterm.

Their motivations are usually more human and relatable, even if they are a bad guy. You also get to interact with them, through out the course of the game. Meanwhile, the main antagonist is often more like a force of nature.

This is also why Kreia works as an antagonist IMO.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was alluding to someone like Gaunter O'Dimm who completely outmatches Geralt.

Geralt never bests O'Dimm in combat, he beats him in a battle of wits.
Yeah uh, if we were splitting hairs as I am now, Geralt ideally beats each monster at their weakness. Just so happens that silver works for most.
Of course wanting to have villains who can go toe to toe against the hero is very likely down to personal taste.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

Faarbaute

Arbiter
I'm not sure it counts but I like how in Divinity 2: Ego Draconis, your relation to atleast one of the antagonists is quite personal indeed. (don't read the spoiler If you haven't allready played it, and ever intend to)

The voice that guides you along, acting as a narrator and a tool for exposition, turns out to be the main bad guys squeeze and a villain in her own right, who has been manipulating you to do her dirty work all along. That shit blew my mind and was super memorable.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
If by villain you only mean antagonist rather than a particular character archetype, then I'd add Loghain to the list alongside figures like Sarevok and Letho.

Guy's a tragic figure who did something foolish but with good intent. His undervaluing of the Grey Wardens was a direct result of his pragmatism (given that he had no tangible proof of the Wardens' usefulness as anything other than perhaps a group of skilled warriors, not knowing of the concrete role that they had to play in slaying an Archdemon) and partly accentuated due to Cailan's overvaluing of them. And beyond that, his fear of Orlais was likewise justified given Ferelden's recent history (while likewise being partly accentuated due to his own personal history, although admittedly most of that - but not all! - is fleshed out outside of DAO).

A true Fereldan patriot that man and anyone who murders him due to Alistair's temper tantrum is a faggot.
You don't murder him because of some man child's temper tantrum. He deserves death for his incompetence, the worst crime of all.

Vatnik Wumao
You don't murder him because of some man child's temper tantrum. He deserves death for his incompetence, the worst crime of all.
Incompetence implies faulty reasoning. His reasoning was sound given what he knew. If you want to blame anyone, blame the Wardens for underselling themselves by keeping things secret even from Cailan (and implicitly Loghain) just because the king was an incompetent buffoon who took fairy tales for granted. As far as the blame game goes, Cailan > Wardens > Loghain.

And speaking of incompetence, it'd be quite incompetent of the player character to sacrifice such a prospective asset for the GWs purely out of spite.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Incompetence implies faulty reasoning. His reasoning was sound given what he knew. If you want to blame anyone, blame the Wardens for underselling themselves by keeping things secret even from Cailan (and implicitly Loghain) just because the king was an incompetent buffoon who took fairy tales for granted. As far as the blame game goes, Cailan > Wardens > Loghain.

And speaking of incompetence, it'd be quite incompetent of the player character to sacrifice such a prospective asset for the GWs purely out of spite.
His reasoning is of little importance. The failure at achieving his goals is what matters and playing blame games does not change the results. He called the shots and his shots misfired, that's on him. His failure at judging/acquiring information is no excuse. Lets take a look at his other great efforts. He tries to take out a political enemy by poisoning and fails. He tries to assassinate you and fails. He tries to unify Ferelden under him but causes a civil war and he is unable to stop the dark spawn threat thanks to that. The arguments for calling him competent are more than thin when he fails for the largest part at the tasks that he sets out to do. His value as asset is also low since you have to swap him, which leaves you pretty much as well of as before. Leaving the facts aside that he wanted to assassinate you and has proven himself to be a traitor at the very beginning. Not exactly the person that I would want to have my back.

Vatnik Wumao
His reasoning is of little importance. [...] He called the shots and his shots misfired, that's on him.
Then we're not talking about competence. He made the right choice at Ostagar with the information he had available while Cailan did not. The fact that the rational decision which Loghain had taken was not - with hindsight - a good decision doesn't speak of the man's incompetence, but simply of bad luck given that his decision was intellectually sound in the circumstances in which it was taken. The good outcome that would have ensured were he to have sided with Cailan would've instead made him a lucky, yet incompetent strategist since such a choice would've been rooted either in blind obedience to an incompetent king (which would've made him a traitor to Ferelden to which his foremost loyalty lies) or to the same sort of overvaluing of the Grey Wardens that Cailan did. And he could not have known more about the Grey Wardens since Cailan gave them a pass simply because he was vainglorious, not taking the Darkspawn threat seriously and caring more about the legend of the Wardens rather than their actual capabilities. You can't blame a man for not having more information when gathering that information wasn't his job (nor was it possible to gather it when his superior cockblocked his efforts to further scrutinize the Wardens).

Lets take a look at his other great efforts. [...] Leaving the facts aside that he wanted to assassinate you and has proven himself to be a traitor at the very beginning. Not exactly the person that I would want to have my back.
All of them due to the meddling of the player character. And the player character is pretty much a Mary Sue, something that we as gamers tend to overlook since it makes for a good hero's journey type of story despite the obscene amount of luck that the PC has throughout it in being the right man at the right place & time to fuck up Loghain's plans (among other things). Had the Warden been just another story NPC, he would've been either long dead or just faded into obscurity after Ostagar.

His value as asset is also low since you have to swap him, which leaves you pretty much as well of as before.
An experienced champion is objectively the better choice over an unexperienced (and undisciplined) templar. And since the PC proved his worth over him, that makes Loghain the most loyal companion given that he now acknowledges that the fate of Ferelden depends on your continued success as leader of the Grey Wardens.

Codex Year of the Donut
It wasn't Loghain's place to question his king, the decision was made, he was to follow.
He was guilty not only of insubordination but regicide. His punishment was execution.

Vatnik Wumao
It wasn't Loghain's place to question his king, the decision was made, he was to follow.
He was guilty not only of insubordination but regicide. His punishment was execution.
Which is a fair stance to take if you put loyalty to the monarch above the wellbeing of the country. Loghain did not.

Codex Year of the Donut
Which is a fair stance if you put loyalty to the monarch above the wellbeing of the country. Loghain did not.
L'État, c'est moi
The people rose in rebellion to Loghain without even knowing the truth merely because he claimed regency.

Vatnik Wumao
The people rose in rebellion to Loghain without even knowing the truth merely because he claimed regency.
Some nobles rose in rebellion.* And they would've been irrelevant were it not for the PC (see also how it is the PC's swaying of even more nobles to his side that decides the fate of the Landsmeet, not to mention that even the Landsmeet itself is a consequence of the PC's saving of Eamon).

Codex Year of the Donut
Some nobles rose in rebellion.* And they would've been irrelevant were it not for the PC (see also how it is the PC's swaying of even more nobles to his side that decides the fate of the Landsmeet, not to mention that even the Landsmeet itself is a consequence of the PC's saving of Eamon).
I'm quite sure those nobles had many people fighting for them.
Loghain also sided with the Amaranthine, clear-cut traitors who attacked Cousland under false pretenses. And again, if he actually loved Ferelden so much he would have stepped aside rather than start a bloody civil war that would ensure there would be no unity and weaken Ferelden as a whole.

He was an opportunistic usurper.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom