Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FPS essentials

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
You replace any game OST with the Quake soundtrack and it's going to be atmospheric as fuuuuuck. Even Pilotwings 64

Generic-Giant-Spider

Anyone who denies Quake atmosphere and art direction is crazy

It has an awesome medieval/biotronic feel to it and is more Lovecraftian than most stuff marketed as such

You know what I think is going on here, Deputy Luj1? I think there are some goddamn Half-Life COCKSUCKERS in our midst putting on Doom colors to incite a war with the Quakers.

Doom and Quake are a happy family and you little monsters just wanna break it up. For a millennia the Doomer and the Quaker have coexisted, peacefully acknowledging they both are the best FPS games. Now look at this... you got these goddamn, these goddamn gremlins coming out here to try and ruin that.

sucks on a lollipop

Not in my town, Luj1. Get me my Adidas pants. Tonight we uproot this evil out and take back City Hall.

PapaPetro

Counter-strike: Source
The engine has a smoothness you can't find in other FPS.
The movement felt like gliding on the map floor. Games after that felt bumpy/clunky incl. CSGO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Speaking of Source Engine, the other day I was thinking about how weird it is in Bloodlines. It looks and feels like a game from a dream, or something? HL2's prototype is also weird, but that's expected. Actually, even later versions of Source feel very unique. Valve is special, even if you all hate their games.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Not a tech demo, it's a slav game that doesn't look as good as Stalker.
It still looks good. Gameplay-wise it's different though -- I'd say it's much closer to Monolith's Condemned, so comparing the two is a bit dumb.

Unfortunately most of its cool tech is undermined by poor performance and instability. You still end up with just a good game, there's a high chance you'll have to turn some of the 'cool' features off.

toughasnails

I don't know what would be the best comparison, maybe something between HL and the original Metro. It's a worthwhile slavjank FPS though. Same for Chasm and vivisector from the same dev.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Not a tech demo, it's a slav game that doesn't look as good as Stalker.
It still looks good. Gameplay-wise it's different though -- I'd say it's much closer to Monolith's Condemned, so comparing the two is a bit dumb.

Unfortunately most of its cool tech is undermined by poor performance and instability. You still end up with just a good game, there's a high chance you'll have to turn some of the 'cool' features off.
Dumb to compare with Stalker, or dumb to compare with Doom 3? I'd say it's both dumb to mention it in the context of cool ‘tech demo’ games and also ‘FPS essentials’. It looks thoroughly mediocre, which isn't really a huge problem to me, but, like, come on, man, y'know, right, doncha think? Even Stalker is actually quite poor. That's slavgame quality.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Cryostasis is a spooky shooter like Doom 3. It's slow paced and jump scare reliant like Doom 3. If you only judge the gameplay, it's subpar like Doom 3. But the story in Cryostasis is on a completely different level. Instead of getting audiologs, you get excerpts from a Maxim Gorky short story. The deeper you go, there more you start to ask yourself what the game is actually even about. It's really, really cool and deserves to mentioned more often

El Presidente

Arcane
FPS Essentials
- Doom; Doom 2
- Heretic; Hexen; Hexen 2
- Quake; Quake 2
- Powerslave
- Blood
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Shadow Warrior
- Turok; Turok 2
- Unreal
- Half Life; Half Life 2

I still didn't play Amid Evil yet, if that's really as good as Hexen stuff then put that in the list.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
It was a tech demo game for NVIDIA PhysX. Here's a cool video showing off the effects

Cool effects, but looks like it's more demo than game, moreso than Doom 3. I say to stubbornly refuse to acknowledge your favourite game.

FPS Essentials
- Doom; Doom 2
- Heretic; Hexen; Hexen 2
- Quake; Quake 2; Quake 3
- Powerslave
- Blood
- Duke Nukem 3D
- Shadow Warrior
- Turok; Turok 2
- Unreal; Unreal Tournament
- Half Life; Half Life 2
- Sin
- Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
- Stalker
- System Shock; System Shock 2
- Deus Ex

I still didn't play Amid Evil yet, if that's really as good as Hexen stuff then put that in the list.
ftfy

Not a tech demo, it's a slav game that doesn't look as good as Stalker. By the way, Stalker is the best worst best game ever.
that's kenshi. stalker is quite decent, sometimes overambitious, sometimes overachieving. i mean, just the effort put in dog packs behaviour is superior to the one put in whole recent games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom