Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

dacencora

JRPGs, in general, have a more consistent quality output than Western RPGs, especially post-2005. Many of the good RPGs from recent years fall apart 2/3 of the way into the game, but are still good games despite that. JRPGs do not tend to have that problem.
How is this triggering? It is the plain truth...

No, you're both retarded. The golden age of JRPGs was in the 90's and early 2000's. Post-2005 barely anything has been released that belongs in the 'best ever' department of said genre.
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey and SaGa Scarlet Grace are both excellent entries in the genre, with Scarlet Grace having a unique take on combat that is very tactical. I also very much enjoy SMT IV and V.

I know it’s not necessarily a popular opinion on Codex, but Persona 4 is one of my all-time favorite games. I guess my point is that I can think of several very enjoyable JRPGs that are recent games.

Divine Blessing

Scholar
so all the Pretty Princesses abandoned kkKodex for the obvious reasons, even this WoW Streamer Lilura, tagged as Codex Dragon Lady. in my preference for absurdly ultimate social challenges, the psychoanalytical reflection on how to make females more comfortable in this "environment" allowed exclusively a singular solution.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
so all the Pretty Princesses abandoned kkKodex for the obvious reasons, even this WoW Streamer Lilura, tagged as Codex Dragon Lady. in my preference for absurdly ultimate social challenges, the psychoanalytical reflection on how to make females more comfortable in this "environment" allowed exclusively a singular solution.

Yeah, it's too bad toxic masculinity drove out the nice, polite, soft spoken, sensitive, and sweet Lilura. She was a beacon in the darkness; a true renaissance woman among troglydytes.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
The codex is a great place for women, it is a pure coincidence that there is so few.

Kruyurk

Learned
See, codexers ? what happens when you are nice with the ladies ? Absolutely nothing ! Now I understand how such hatred can brew under the fedoras.

wishbonetail

Learned
Dark Souls games are shite.
It is not that they're shite but it is the fact that everyone and their granny uses Drak Souls in every CRPG thread as some kind of a measuring stick be it an action, tactical, isometric, blobber whatever. I implore anyone to find a thread where Dark Souls ain't mentioned. The thing is Dark Souls is hot damn console action game no matter how good the said action and worldbuilding is. It is like a bringing Gears of War example to Arcanum thread.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dark Souls games are shite.
It is not that they're shite but it is the fact that everyone and their granny uses Drak Souls in every CRPG thread as some kind of a measuring stick be it an action, tactical, isometric, blobber whatever. I implore anyone to find a thread where Dark Souls ain't mentioned. The thing is Dark Souls is hot damn console action game no matter how good the said action and worldbuilding is. It is like a bringing Gears of War example to Arcanum thread.

That's like the Dark Souls of video game analogies, bro.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Barbarians are a garbage class.
That's a broad statement. Thematically and aesthetically barbarians don't make any sense. When I think of barbarians I think of people like Celts, Huns, Goths, Vikings. They have armor as good as anybody else, they might fight from horseback and use bows. Not really very different from a normal fighter. But in D&D retard land a barbarian is a flanderized Frazetta painting. The barbarian runs around in a leather thong, eats raw dirt, and gets REALLY ANGRY ARGGGHHHH. But honestly all of the non-core classes in D&D and its ripoffs are retarded. Oh I want to be a charming trickster but also sword fight and cast spells sometimes. Well then I'd better fucking learn guitar because you need to be a "Bard" for some goddamn reason. Ranger? Just a grab-bag of bullshit somebody wanted for their special little guy and made into a class. Must be "good" alignment for some reason. Monk, totally retarded, adding jrpg kung fu bullshit into western fantasy, doesn't belong at all. Then there's all the other retarded classes they keep adding. I hate D&D for the brain rot its brought to fantasy settings.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Conan created by Howard is not the Conan painted by Frazetta and converted into a Marvel character. Look at how Conan was drawn by other artists before Frazetta got him (and painted his own face on him).

You're absolutely right, but I'm not sure what your point is. I don't think Frank Frazetta was trying to reflect reality, or accurately represent Robert E Howards work. He was expressing his own vision.

KateMicucci

Arcane
The Conan created by Howard is not the Conan painted by Frazetta and converted into a Marvel character. Look at how Conan was drawn by other artists before Frazetta got him (and painted his own face on him).

You're absolutely right, but I'm not sure what your point is. I don't think Frank Frazetta was trying to reflect reality, or accurately represent Robert E Howards work. He was expressing his own vision.
My point is that the barbarian class in D&D is based on Frazetta's paintings, not the Conan stories of Howard. Howard's Conan was clever, stealthy, wore plate armor when he had it. Not a retard who got angry and hit everything with a huge ax.

Codex Year of the Donut
Barbarian was based on Howard's Conan.
SltX813.png

KateMicucci

Arcane
Barbarian was based on Howard's Conan.
SltX813.png
Looking a 1st edition pnp rules it doesn't look too far off. But I've never played tabletop and my experience of the barbarians is from video games. Where their distinguishing features are usually leather thong, big ax, lots of hp and angery.

That's a lot to read off a painting done showing a dude at some damned inconvenient times.
Indeed frazetta wanted to paint only the most action-packed scenes or the ones with the most naked butts. Its harder to paint conan doing something clever or stealthy. But Frazetta also said that he never actually read the stories he illustrated and any similarity was mere coincidence.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I just realized that I'm wrong to blame Frazetta for dumbing down barbarians. I'm overcomplicating things, when the answer is obvious.

It's the Jews.

Howard wrote Conan to reflect that part of the huwhite man's soul that drives him to explore and conquer. So the Jews took a 6'4" blonde haired blue eyed Austrian, changed his name to SwarthyNigger, and had him portray a conan who has a speech impediment and goes around punching camels.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The general perception might be underselling a deeper character, but it's obvious a system like D&D can only accomodate the parody as a player class: "so... 24 STR, 22 CON, 20 DEX, 14 INT, 16 WIS, 22 CHA? And +6 to Sneak, +8 to Bluff, +8 to Intimidate, +10 to Luck? Sure... Reroll, smartass."

I'm not sure about STR and CON, you'd have to check against beasts he overpowered in the books but surely, Conan was smarter than wiser, maybe he finally got some wisdom when he settled and ruled but before this, I'd say 16/17 INT and 8/10 WIS, maybe even less wisdom.
As for CHA, probably 10/14, he's more intimidating than charming.
And most of the time, he would scare the living hell out of anyone just by setting a foot in a tavern.

What's impressive about Conan isn't his smile but his raw strength, his stature and his reflexes.
Maybe 24 - 20 - 20 - 16 - 7 - 11 would be more accurate.

And that's probably at the top of his form, so level 20 Barbarian or more.
In a D&D adventure, he could start around 20 18 18 16 7 11 and get some bonuses through equipment and level up bonus.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Look on the bright side: we may soon learn what a true RPG is. Since only the vaxxed or the unvaxxed will still be alive, the developers will more easily be able to focus group the fans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom