Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let me quote myself from earlier in the thread, from back in July.
Man, this is Expeditions in name only.
I was hyped at first. Now, it's wait and see.

I don't understand what you thought/think is "Expeditions in name only" about what we've seen of this game. I feel like maybe reading all these dev diaries has made some people realize they never really liked the Expeditions formula that much in the first place. "Wait a minute...I don't actually like fussy mechanics and strategy metagame elements in my RPGs!"

(For the record, I found Conquistador to be tedious to play, so this isn't me fanboying for the series)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I don't understand what you thought/think is "Expeditions in name only" about what we've seen of this game. I feel like maybe reading all these dev diaries has made some people realize they never really liked the Expeditions formula that much in the first place. "Wait a minute...I don't actually like fussy mechanics and strategy metagame elements in my RPGs!"

(For the record, I found Conquistador to be tedious to play, so this isn't me fanboying for the series)
Don't like the Expeditions formula? No, my friend, that is not it. I very much like both games. I prefer the first one, even.

It's just that all these cinematic trailers, twitch integrations, and some other things make me cautious. I hope the game turns out great, but for now, I can't help but feel that they are chasing the Divinity audience, which may or may not be a bad thing. If I didn't care for the game at all, I wouldn't bother posting updates. I just have a feeling, and it's not a great one, that this might turn out to be my least favorite game in the series.

I will play the demo and judge for myself very soon.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Don't like the Expeditions formula? No, my friend, that is not it. I very much like both games. I prefer the first one, even.

It's just that all these cinematic trailers, twitch integrations, and some other things make me cautious. I hope the game turns out great, but for now, I can't help but feel that they are chasing the Divinity audience, which may or may not be a bad thing. If I didn't care for the game at all, I wouldn't bother posting updates. I just have a feeling, and it's not a great one, that this might turn out to be my least favorite game in the series.

Twitch integration for a rpg (that isn't a cutscene simulator or first-person) is about as useful as a knitted condom.

Not worth the dev effort or getting angry about, really.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I should make it clear that I am not angry. I am mildly worried about that and some other things. I hope the demo wins me over.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I should make it clear that I am not angry. I am mildly worried about that and some other things. I hope the demo wins me over.

I'm mostly here for the Rome flavor. I know I'm probably gonna have some minor quibbles with the game, just judging by the trailer and devlogs so far, but if I can go around quoting HBO Rome lines and being an asshole to barbarians, I'll be happy.

EvilWolf

Learned

I'd buy Divinity in this setting... then again the reason I love Cyberpunk is because it's a, good, Cyberpunk open world game and we all know how that turned out.

Salvo

Arcane

I'm mostly here for the Rome flavor. I know I'm probably gonna have some minor quibbles with the game, just judging by the trailer and devlogs so far, but if I can go around quoting HBO Rome lines and being an asshole to barbarians, I'll be happy.

All mockery of Larian fans and their one god (Swen) shall be kept to an appropriate minimum

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Locking persuation skills behind what you choose is stupid imho the moment someone cheat engines a way to start with all of them im doing it

Class system instead of freeform make your own class like vikings seems bad to me as well. Having no stats but ones on weapons. Like i like the story and all that stuff but gameplay took giant leap in wrong direction in terms of combat and rpg. Too simplified as RPG

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Another game with no walk key, even when you are forced to walk in the first segment in the game... just lol.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
party limited to 5 instead of 6, this game needs modding and the worst thing is that this propably is only about 30% on THQ Nordic the rest of this is on devs Buying their own bullshit regarding their name.

Salvo

Arcane
Watch Twitch streamer to unlock customization options for the legion! Off to a nice start I see...

Vatnik Wumao
Watch Twitch streamer to unlock customization options for the legion! Off to a nice start I see...
That's nothing. For Conquistador, devs locked a companion (a cool one might I add) behind preordering. Which is bullshit since it wasn't some heavily advertised game and I just wasn't aware of it at the time of release as to preorder.

They could've at least allowed for it to be purchased for whatever sum post-release, but they said that it would somehow betray those that did preorder.

Salvo

Arcane
That's nothing. For Conquistador, devs locked a companion (a cool one might I add) behind preordering. Which is bullshit since it wasn't some heavily advertised game and I just wasn't aware of it at the time of release as to preorder.

They could've at least allowed for it to be purchased for whatever sum post-release, but they said that it would somehow betray those that did preorder.
Hey, at least it wasn't an in-your-face reminder of the thing that basically ruined gaming

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom