Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - coming September 5th

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
SSD was a night and day change for me, and that was all the way back in 2011.

They are even quicker now.

Riskbreaker

Now you can go back to that marginally more pressing issue: preorders are up, the game is mere months away, yet there's no sign of any actual gameplay video.

toughasnails

A few mods have featured "fire saves". Most notably in NLC7, where it's a very difficult and dangerous mod, and the sources of fire light not only are often not obvious throughout the maps (such as in the underground, where there are no campfires.... but there are saves for attentive people) but you need to make sure you have enough matches to light them if you want to save. Some people don't appreciate this system, I did however, I think it adds a lot of tension and real difficulty to the game. By technicality, every game becomes "easy" when you can just make a save state before any possible failure state.
What Souls does and why it works there is that while you lose your souls and humanity on dying and the regular enemies respawn, all the items you have found stay with you, unique enemies stay down, shortcuts you opened remain open, whatever plot significant action you did isn't erased... The system actually encourages you to risk and experiment as much as it punishes you.
I'm not too excited about something like that in some already very difficult, poorly balanced Stalker mod where it is just a glorified checkpoint tbh(and maybe also a clever way to minimize the chance of save corruption).

But if this was properly implemented in a Stalker game or a Stalker inspired game that was built around such system from the get go, I agree that it could work. Even the Souls like MP could work and fit the setting, the Zone could exist in infinite number of parallel dimensions or something...

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
My biggest issue with limited saves with most stalker mods is that X-Ray is prone to crashes when stressed (and most mods push it to its limits), and that even when it doesn't crash it isn't unknown for scripting to go awry.

Losing progress due to player fuckups is one thing, but engine/scripting issues is another thing entirely.

Silva

Arcane
Back to A-Life, another interesting feature that some games these days have is the idea of an adaptive AI. That is, one that learns from mistakes and adapts to counter your game. This is seen both in sports games (PES, NBA2K) and open world games (MGSV). This could work in STALKER on a faction basis. Say, the last time you assaulted a Duty camp through sniping & hiding. When you return some time later the same camp has anti-personal mines all over the place and snipers of their own. Or something like that. Taking cues from MGSV, maybe you could have contacts that you pay to inform you beforehand about these developments, or even partially disable them (as long as you pay well).

But for this to work there must be a consistent stealth in place. Stealth in Stalker was always problematic, with the AI sometimes being completely dumb, other times as omniscient as a god.

Silva

Arcane
A few mods have featured "fire saves". Most notably in NLC7, where it's a very difficult and dangerous mod, and the sources of fire light not only are often not obvious throughout the maps (such as in the underground, where there are no campfires.... but there are saves for attentive people) but you need to make sure you have enough matches to light them if you want to save. Some people don't appreciate this system, I did however, I think it adds a lot of tension and real difficulty to the game. By technicality, every game becomes "easy" when you can just make a save state before any possible failure state.
What Souls does and why it works there is that while you lose your souls and humanity on dying and the regular enemies respawn, all the items you have found stay with you, unique enemies stay down, shortcuts you opened remain open, whatever plot significant action you did isn't erased... The system actually encourages you to risk and experiment as much as it punishes you.
I'm not too excited about something like that in some already very difficult, poorly balanced Stalker mod where it is just a glorified checkpoint tbh(and maybe also a clever way to minimize the chance of save corruption).

But if this was properly implemented in a Stalker game or a Stalker inspired game that was built around such system from the get go, I agree that it could work. Even the Souls like MP could work and fit the setting, the Zone could exist in infinite number of parallel dimensions or something...
Yeah, for the idea to work it would be necessary to create the game from the ground up with it in mind. Otherwise it wouldn't work.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
Do you guys even have the hardware to run this thing properly? :negative:

I do, but I doubt I'll play it anyway.

SSD was a night and day change for me, and that was all the way back in 2011.

They are even quicker now.

I went from HDD to NVMe and I literally creamed my pants the first time I booted the thing up.

Anyway, I'm drunk so here's Grinder from RA2. Much better than STALKER 2 will ever be.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
There's a rumor in Russian gaming media that this game is being postponed to autumn 2022. No surprise tbh, they've shown nothing substantial yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they just started seriously working on this game last year.

https://www.championat.com/cyberspo...-a-l-k-e-r-2-perenesli-na-osen-2022-goda.html

Not particularly far fetched considering the complete lack of gameplay footage or material.

Wouldn't surprise me if all the NFT bullshit was to try to get a cash injection to fund Sergiy's cocaine habit development.

toughasnails

I guess this will be the first major video game release from Greater Russia so I imagine they'd try their best to live up to such honor.
They couldn't live through the embarrassment of releasing a flop.
They LITERALLY wouldn't live through that.

Riskbreaker

Dodo1610

Arcane
I hate it when devs announce fake release dates in order to get people to preorder their game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom