Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Deflowerer

Arcane
I think 1 required campaign playthrough per league would be fine, any additional characters in league should give you the option to bypass if you so wish.

I AM FREEEEEE. They are finally letting me out of the Tower :dance:

So what's the big draw of headhunter? I mean, the taking on rare enemies modifiers is a cool gimmick, but since it's always changing it doesn't seem like you could really build around it.

I've been running red maps, i think a tier 14 is my highest so far. Certainly seeing the increase in difficulty, although as with everything, it's very spiky.

I was clearing one map and saw a metamorph on my map. I was thinking "Oh boy time for loot" and then my client locked up for a moment. Suddenly I was dead, my minions were all dead, and my screen looked like something from Ikaruga, just full of cold bolts. The normal enemies in the area shot 3 at once, and the metamorph got additional projectiles, and I guess some kind of rapid shot dealie, because it was just absurd. Just machine gunning the screen full of death orbs.

The thing is, I'm not even sure which modifier made it do that. I clearly need to keep an eye out for such things in the future.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So what's the big draw of headhunter? I mean, the taking on rare enemies modifiers is a cool gimmick, but since it's always changing it doesn't seem like you could really build around it.
Headhunter is guaranteed best in slot for any zoomy character, which is all of them. Also afaik most monster mods are generic +damage/health/etc, work on any character.

Headhunter is guaranteed best in slot for any zoomy character, which is all of them. Also afaik most monster mods are generic +damage/health/etc, work on any character.
Ah, so the idea is you'll be killing rare enemies often enough where you always have some bonuses going on, I guess that makes sense. 20 seconds is a long time in POE i guess.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
The idea is to juice your maps with nemesis and beyond and a shit ton of other sources of rare monsters and kill very fast, racking up the bonuses. Eventually you'll steal a haste aura and/or Soulstealer. That will make you go even faster, which in turn will make you kill more rare monsters in a shorter time frame, giving you more buffs. It's makes your clear-speed go into the exponential territory.

Edit: Endless Heist hyyyyyype! Lets see how long it will take until I get bored with it. Delve managed to squeeze 80 levels out of me.

abija

Prophet
Removing the campaign would be a colossal cop out. It would cheapen the whole experience for both the players and the developers. It's much better for everyone involved if the developer tries hard to make the campaign more enjoyable for repeat playthroughs. Which is what they are doing with like 50% of their workforce. I can't see GGG letting you opt-out of the campaign in any way for a looooong ass time after putting so much effort into the new campaign.
Do you not recognize the insanity of having hundreds of hours of diverse content and forcing everyone to repeat the same 10 for every char? Are you that far up their asshole?

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Do you not recognize the insanity of having hundreds of hours of diverse content and forcing everyone to repeat the same 10 for every char? Are you that far up their asshole?
If you don't enjoy the campaing but still need 10 hours for it, you fucking suck. Especially on subsequent characters with twink gear. Why should I listen to the likes of you? I'd much rather err on the side of GGG, who have proven over time that they are more competent and committed than most other developers out there.

Like, how far up your own ass do you have to be to really think that you have figured out the development of this game more than the Devs themselves? Do you have an example of your own competence somewhere? Do you have an example of a game that does it better?

Regardless. The campaign is here to stay and the new one will have a more open structure, allowing for more varied playthroughs. Doesn't even matter what you or I think. It would require some colossal drop off in revenue for GGG to reconsider their stance regarding the campaign.

Besides, if your arguement is truly "muh diverse content", then why are you feeling the need to reroll? Isn't the new character supposed to be the thing that is keeping you engaged with all new skill progression? Past Act V you start getting multiple random mechanics pile on top of eachother already.

A wise man once said: "If you don't enjoy the normal progression of a character up until end-game, which is the bread and butter of an ARPG, then this genre is simply not for you." Just do what T.Reich did and play Dark Souls instead. I hear it is a great game.

Gerrard

Arcane
GGG, who have proven over time that they are more competent and committed than most other developers out there.
lmao

Abandoning the league after 1 week definitely screams "commitment and competency". And that's just the most recent example.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
If you don't enjoy the campaing but still need 10 hours for it, you fucking suck. Especially on subsequent characters with twink gear. Why should I listen to the likes of you? I'd much rather err on the side of GGG, who have proven over time that they are more competent and committed than most other developers out there.
So... I should get better at something I don't enjoy? And using twink gear doesn't it make it an absolutely worthless piece of content?
You can find in the early pages of this thread I called them retards for refusing to implement normal networking and guess what I was right (like most of the playerbase) and they were wrong.

Like, how far up your own ass do you have to be to really think that you have figured out the development of this game more than the Devs themselves? Do you have an example of your own competence somewhere? Do you have an example of a game that does it better?
I couldn't care less about their development process, just what I see implemented in the game. D3 does it better even though it has much less content.

Regardless. The campaign is here to stay and the new one will have a more open structure, allowing for more varied playthroughs. Doesn't even matter what you or I think. It would require some colossal drop off in revenue for GGG to reconsider their stance regarding the campaign.
Thank you for parroting some promo materials.

Besides, if your arguement is truly "muh diverse content", then why are you feeling the need to reroll? Isn't the new character supposed to be the thing that is keeping you engaged with all new skill progression? Past Act V you start getting multiple random mechanics pile on top of eachother already.

A wise man once said: "If you don't enjoy the normal progression of a character up until end-game, which is the bread and butter of an ARPG, then this genre is simply not for you." Just do what T.Reich did and play Dark Souls instead. I hear it is a great game.

Cause using same fucking skill for hundreds of hours gets boring and due to ascendancies another build is not just an expensive respec away like it was at start of poe. When I have time I do 2-3 90-95 chars per league and I play SSF simply because trading is retarded (another great example of GGG devs knowing better).

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
So... I should get better at something I don't enjoy? And using twink gear doesn't it make it an absolutely worthless piece of content?
If you don't enjoy improving, that's a you problem. If you don't enjoy character progression of your the character you have chosen to play, that's also a you problem. Let me get this straight: you don't like the early progression, but you also don't like feeling overpowered for a couple of hours while zooming through the story and you also refuse to improve your leveling speed? Why the fuck should anyone try to please you?

You can find in the early pages of this thread I called them retards for refusing to implement normal networking and guess what I was right (like most of the playerbase) and they were wrong.
A broken clock is still right twice a day. Early net code implementation was widely regarded as the main issue holding PoE back and from what I understand a technical issue, not a design philosophy.
I couldn't care less about their development process, just what I see implemented in the game. D3 does it better even though it has much less content.
ahahahahahahaha DEE THREEEE ahahahahahaha
then just go play it then, you have your solution right there.
Thank you for parroting some promo materials.
No problem, D3-fan reddit-man. If you would just unstick your head from your ass from time to time, you would notice that GGG is trying to address your concern.
Cause using same fucking skill for hundreds of hours gets boring and due to ascendancies another build is not just an expensive respec away like it was at start of poe. When I have time I do 2-3 90-95 chars per league and I play SSF simply because trading is retarded (another great example of GGG devs knowing better).
Game isn't balanced around SSF. You are doing this to yourself. If you don't enjoy the regular progression of a new character, then ARPGs aren't for you.

abija

Prophet
Kjaska
Who said I don't enjoy character progression. What I don't enjoy is doing the same linear campaign for the nth time when game has so much more to offer and you can pretty much finish your builds barely scraping the surface of the endgame.

If you don't enjoy improving, that's a you problem. If you don't enjoy character progression of your the character you have chosen to play, that's also a you problem. Let me get this straight: you don't like the early progression, but you also don't like feeling overpowered for a couple of hours while zooming through the story and you also refuse to improve your leveling speed? Why the fuck should anyone try to please you?
You are actually way more dense than I realized if you don't even see the distinction between not enjoying same linear campaign for the nth time and not enjoying early progression. Progressing chars is fun, that's one of the main reason people play these games. Having to speed through it because it's forcefully tied to same linear content and required to "unlock" the rest of the game is the dumb part.

A broken clock is still right twice a day. Early net code implementation was widely regarded as the main issue holding PoE back and from what I understand a technical issue, not a design philosophy.
There was no technical issue, just their dumbfuck "vision".

Game isn't balanced around SSF. You are doing this to yourself. If you don't enjoy the regular progression of a new character, then ARPGs aren't for you.
Yes, game isn't balanced around SSF. It's balanced around trade, trade that is so badly implemented it makes people not want to interact with it. The reason trade is terrible? Yet again their "vision".
And ofc you're going back to me not liking regular progression, which funny enough you actually do a lot more of in SSF since you don't skip ahead so many steps.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'll be honest. There are much better things I could do with my time than to argue with a self-contradicting retard like you. I'll just say this: if you think that GGG are dumbfucks and their vision sucks, but continue to play their game and scream about its shortcomings into the void that is this thread, then you are the bigger retard.

On a more positive note. Thanks to the Endless Heist event I finally got around to playing a Frost Blades Raider again. Last time was in Abyss League. It has no single target, but thankfully you don't really need that in Heist. I got to lvl50 until I had enough and switched back to main league. Trying to burn off all of my Expedition Scarabs and gamble/haggle/craft something good.

abija

Prophet
You didn't even bring any argument to why is better to force the campaign on each char. You just went to "GGG knows better" which has been wrong so many times.

I think if you call Kjaska an asshole some more and maybe insult a few other people then GGG will definitely allow you to bypass the campaign in the future.

Now, I've got a problem with a few IRS regulations. I don't know anyone who works for the IRS or makes policy for them, so I'm just gonna scream my frustrations at you and blame you for it because that's how absolute retards get shit done.

Cry and scream and whine all you want, the campaign isn't likely to go anywhere (and it'd probably kill the game if they did let you skip it).

I mean, you obviously know better than them anyway, why waste your genius on GGG and path of exile? Just make your own game without a campaign, do networking right, and retain a playerbase for years and years. Then you can come and gloat at all the retards who doubted you.

It's integral to early character progression, there's clearly no other path. If you don't agree with every single action GGG takes then why are you even playing their game? They clearly know better. Now excuse me I must go and replay the campaign for the 6 millionth time on autopilot with my twinked trade gear to make it go faster.

If you are so wise why don't you make your own game huh? huhhuhhuh?!

abija

Prophet
I think if you call Kjaska an asshole some more and maybe insult a few other people then GGG will definitely allow you to bypass the campaign in the future.

Now, I've got a problem with a few IRS regulations. I don't know anyone who works for the IRS or makes policy for them, so I'm just gonna scream my frustrations at you and blame you for it because that's how absolute retards get shit done.Let me guess you regularly go to sport bars and tell people there sports are shit?

Cry and scream and whine all you want, the campaign isn't likely to go anywhere (and it'd probably kill the game if they did let you skip it).

I mean, you obviously know better than them anyway, why waste your genius on GGG and path of exile? Just make your own game without a campaign, do networking right, and retain a playerbase for years and years. Then you can come and gloat at all the retards who doubted you.

Do you have any idea how many retards like him were since start on GGG forums? "Networking is perfect, same algorithm as nasa, GGG can do no wrong." turning into "Wow, this is soooo much better, thank you GGG for listening and making your game playable". Posts like his actually trigger me. Devs are human, do tons of mistakes and should get honest feedback instead of brown-nosing.

You can't construct a half decent argument yet you somehow climb on a high horse and denounce venting on a gaming forum...

retarded shit.

Lol, you're mad about some half remembered argument you had on GGGs forums where you assure us you were totally right and everyone else was totally wrong. Oh wow man sounds legit.

Even if you were right, you can't help but act like a raging hemorrhoid, people would do the wrong thing just to spite you. You make me hope they never allow anyone to skip the campaign just because I know it would piss you off, and you'd act like a complete retard if it ever happened.

Everything was going fine in this thread before your dumb ass showed up. You come in and say you should be able to skip the campaign, someone tells you it's unlikely, and you burst into a retard rage and start flinging ad hominem. Nobody fucking cares about your shitty ideas, you're 1 in a sea of billions of retards who think their ideas are brilliant, why should anyone listen to you? There are non retards who have interesting things to say, why bother reading your verbal excrement? "You won't even give me a 10 point list of reasons why I should be literally forced to play through the campaign" no shit moron.

I'm not denouncing venting, I'm telling you, the guy acting like a retard, that you're acting like a retard. You're clearly reliving some retarded forum argument from years ago with the people here as proxies for the mean people that disagreed with you all those years ago. It's extremely pathetic, and even if you were completely right, nobody fucking cares. If you'd like to talk about path of exile I'm very interested. If you just want to talk about some time you were totally right, I don't care, and neither does anyone else.

It's integral to early character progression, there's clearly no other path. If you don't agree with every single action GGG takes then why are you even playing their game? They clearly know better. Now excuse me I must go and replay the campaign for the 6 millionth time on autopilot with my twinked trade gear to make it go faster.

If you are so wise why don't you make your own game huh? huhhuhhuh?!
You forgot to AlTeRnAtE cApS to illustrate you're doing a "retard voice".

At least abija has the balls to spell out his complaint, rather than just hiding behind someone and mocking an argument nobody made. His complaint is stupid, but still, it's something.

So I'll repeat the question I asked the last couple times. What would you replace the campaign with? How would the campaign rewards be handled? Would you just start at level 70, or would you be expected to level up from 1 in delve? Have you even thought about any of this? What makes your proposed level 1-70 experience better than just replaying the campaign?

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
For real, for real, the campaign should be a once-per-season thing, not a once-per-character thing.

The 'GGG knows best' thing is fine and dandy, but we can't pretend they don't jump when the community is angry enough. Consider what happened with 3.16. Or the flask enchantments. Or fragment stacking. These were all philosophical retreats, to make players happier and to increase QOL (something they despise doing).

Maybe a D3-style Adventure Mode is a reasonable compromise.

So like, what would you do instead? Have low level versions of mapping or something? What would you put in place instead of the campaign, as currently, the game doesn't work if you just cut it out. This is not a trick question, I'm genuinely asking what would you do instead.

Do characters start at level 70-80 whatever ready to do endgame? Or do they get some kind of replacement content. If so, where does this content come from? What happens with the campaign rewards, i.e. skill gems, passive skill points, bandit rewards, etc?

What's D3's adventure mode? I haven't heard anything good about D3 honestly.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Level scaled, selectable campaign maps with bounty objectives for items/currency/passive points (replacing those distributed by the campaign).

Baron Dupek

Arcane
About fuckin time
ProgressBar.png

fix coming late Tuesday

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'm glad you got your fix, but I am also very weirded out by you playing standard.

Also: holy shit I'm glad I didn't look at this thread. Instead I had a great time breezing through the campaign with a new character. Hollow Palm is the best! I just wish I had easy access to Call to Arms as Witch for Ancestral Cry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom