Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
So... since no one answered my previous question... what is the absolute best version of GMDX?

Pros and cons of v9.0 vs v10
I asked Ash the same question and he called the v10 version garbage.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So... since no one answered my previous question... what is the absolute best version of GMDX?

Really? Where has he said that? I'm pretty sure that Ash has stated in the past that he endorsed most of RoSoDude 's additions and was pretty close to accepting it as an official version...

Alphons

Cipher

Really? Where has he said that? I'm pretty sure that Ash has stated in the past that he endorsed most of RoSoDude 's additions and was pretty close to accepting it as an official version...

These are 2 different things.

RoSoDude 's version
https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/addons/version-rsd-beta-10-future-official-update#membersform

"Community" version
https://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx-v10...s/gmdx-v10-community-update-release-changelog

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Yeah, I was talking about the "community" version. Didn't even know about this roso dude.

JDR13

Arcane
After reading more opinions of GMDX, I think I'm just going to play vanilla + graphics upgrade. It's been too long since I've played Dues Ex to use something that modifies the gameplay.

What's the best current texture pack or graphics mod that upgrades the visuals only?

Ninjerk

Arcane
After reading more opinions of GMDX, I think I'm just going to play vanilla + graphics upgrade. It's been too long since I've played Dues Ex to use something that modifies the gameplay.

What's the best current texture pack or graphics mod that upgrades the visuals only?
I can't emphasize enough how much of an upgrade on the mediocre gunplay GMDX was when I played with it (pre-roso). I think it does more but I don't remember.

JDR13

Arcane

I can't emphasize enough how much of an upgrade on the mediocre gunplay GMDX was when I played with it (pre-roso). I think it does more but I don't remember.

The gunplay isn't a major concern for me since it's not a pure shooter, and I'm going full stealth anyways.

I've read that GMDX adds a lot of extra enemies later in the game.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Without GMDX 9.0 AI is dumb, braindead even. You want any challenge from the stealth playthrough? Do yourself a favor and play the best version.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The gunplay isn't a major concern for me since it's not a pure shooter, and I'm going full stealth anyways.

I've read that GMDX adds a lot of extra enemies later in the game.

it's been a very long time since i've played vanilla, so i'm not sure i could attest to that. i will say all the improvements to the general QoL, and especially to the AI and so on make stealth a lot more enjoyable then vanilla head-bonking.. i can't imagine going back after playing gmdx on hardcore. even losing small additions like mantling would be undesirable. i would read a little more into it before you make up your mind, you can't go wrong either way

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

New Vision replaces most of the textures in the game with high res versions.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/new-vision

Not to be mistaken with Deux Ex Revision, avoid that one like the plague.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So I finally played the last three games of the Deus Ex franchise.

Human Revolution, Mankind Divided and the cellphone spin-off (later released for PC) the Fall.

I must say I greatly enjoyed both mainline titles (HR and MD). They're very well written (with some inconsistencies) and offer good old DX gameplay, albeit with some simplifications for the newfags (automap, quest compass, health regeneration). But despite streamlining of some stuff they still feel like Deus Ex, unlike Invisible War, which was indeed a major decline. All in all, I consider the prequel games very fine and I'd love Eidos to one day finish the Adam Jensen trilogy with the final installment (when they stop fucking around producing stupid multiplayer shit).

The Fall... well, it sure is impressive how they managed to port a large chunk of DX gameplay into cellphones and portable devices. Of course, on PC it doesn't matter shit. The PC version does not feature higher quality textures or redesign of the microscopic areas - which were understandable compromises on handheld devices but are simply not acceptable on a desktop. Still, the areas were larger than in Invisible War, so there is that. The story of Ben Saxon and Anna Kelso did not move me much (I did not read Deus Ex novels where these heroes first appear), and when I slowly started to warm up to these secondary cast of characters it was all over. It seems the Fall was planned as an episodic adventure, but it was not successful enough to get the next episodes. Well, at least we got an origin story of Alex Vega, who plays a more significant role in Mankind Divided.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

New Vision replaces most of the textures in the game with high res versions.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/new-vision

Not to be mistaken with Deux Ex Revision, avoid that one like the plague.
New Vision + HDTP is the goto for graphical deus ex mods. New vision is great, HDTP has a few off models (for example, you'll want to avoid the updated character models, but they're an optional install).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Seems like i am unable to run this in D3D using kentie's launcher. Makes no difference if i'm using original D3D or the various custom versions people have pointed to, one of which actually broke something in the driver and i had to reinstall my graphic drivers. I'm talking about this one:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-d...tx11-renderer-for-utugrune-hp12-st-cbu-and-dx

I can run it in OpenGL but the game doesn't look right. It's all washed out with popping lighting when you move.

For the record, i'm actually playing GMDX for this run, HOWEVER, i still want to have the option to run vanilla if i want to in the future.

Slaver1

Savant
Seems like i am unable to run this in D3D using kentie's launcher. Makes no difference if i'm using original D3D or the various custom versions people have pointed to, one of which actually broke something in the driver and i had to reinstall my graphic drivers. I'm talking about this one:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-d...tx11-renderer-for-utugrune-hp12-st-cbu-and-dx

I can run it in OpenGL but the game doesn't look right. It's all washed out with popping lighting when you move.

For the record, i'm actually playing GMDX for this run, HOWEVER, i still want to have the option to run vanilla if i want to in the future.
This one worked for me
http://kentie.net/article/d3d11drv/index.htm
http://kentie.net/article/d3d11drv/files/d3d11drv-v1.zip

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ok, i tried the D3D10 version from GMDX, and this time the game works fine, but looks different. There's seems to the less shadows and i remember the floor being super reflective in the original (i'm using the training level), but here only has a little bit of reflections, all though that looks like that in GMDX too.

[EDIT] Ok i got, i was messing with the FPS limit and apparently i can't turn it off. But setting at 144 works fine.

Why is it though that different versions of D3D look different? like the reflective floor in the training room. D3D11 is super shiny like i remember, but D3D10 is not. Why? And why does GMDX opt from the latter?

Slaver1

Savant
Ok, i tried the D3D10 version from GMDX, and this time the game works fine, but looks different. There's seems to the less shadows and i remember the floor being super reflective in the original (i'm using the training level), but here only has a little bit of reflections, all though that looks like that in GMDX too.

[EDIT] Ok i got, i was messing with the FPS limit and apparently i can't turn it off. But setting at 144 works fine.

Why is it though that different versions of D3D look different? like the reflective floor in the training room. D3D11 is super shiny like i remember, but D3D10 is not. Why? And why does GMDX opt from the latter?
Maybe some mod (New Vision is bundled with GMDX) is hooking those shiny effects which only work with DX11. I know Helios Texture mod has addons like Parallax Occlusion which only work with d3d11.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
No, that's not it, because the D3D bundled with GMDX is the one with LESS effects.

I hate when gameplay mods also come with visual improvements. Wish there was a version that left the graphics alone.

Anyway D3D11 works for the original while i'm not sure if to run GMDX with the included D3D10 one or the D3D11 wrapper you linked me to instead. Maybe the mod is INTENDED to look less shiny and shadowy.

Codex Year of the Donut
No, that's not it, because the D3D bundled with GMDX is the one with LESS effects.

I hate when gameplay mods also come with visual improvements. Wish there was a version that left the graphics alone.

Anyway D3D11 works for the original while i'm not sure if to run GMDX with the included D3D10 one or the D3D11 wrapper you linked me to instead. Maybe the mod is INTENDED to look less shiny and shadowy.
You could just ask the guy who made it.
Ash

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I just checked a playthrough on youtube and it looks like the mod is supposed to be less shiny than the original. I guess that's how Ash wanted it.

Ash

Arcane
D3D10 renderer settings. simulateMultipassTexturing = True results in less shinyness, but makes certain environments look better. False for the opposite. If I recall. It's been a long time.

As for what GMDX does: big AI incline, gunplay, stealth mechanics, RPG systems, quality of life features, subtle improvements to graphics and level detail, general minor rebancing, bug fixing, audio design enhancement, difficulty overhaul (if choosing higher difficulties), new menu options, simulated systems (e.g physics, interactivity), game feel (camera effects such as headbob), all while striving to follow the game's design principles and maintain its identity.

A summary of features can be found here: Features (gmdxmod.com)

Why is it though that different versions of D3D look different? like the reflective floor in the training room. D3D11 is super shiny like i remember, but D3D10 is not. Why?

Made by different people.

And why does GMDX opt from the latter?

D3D11 wasn't even around when GMDX was made. I'd say stick with D3D10 just to be safe.

Last edited:
Been replaying using Revision, and even though I'm liking most of the additions/changes (Including Shifter and Biomod in there 'cause fuck it (Special note: Not wild about entering the modder's magical realm of piss XP)) the updated character models are fucking horrible. The rejiggered textures for the world are fine, don't mind the redone maps even though they change the tone of the game, but the models really bring me down. The unfortunate part is that most models haven't been fucked with, it's just Paul, JC, Gunther, Anna, Simons and Nicolette (And UNATCO troops) that are mutants and the rest are normal.

5BB214F9D11ECFED135FBA1AA379E2039790F1E0

And the hidden bonus for arguably even worse than JC:
72D5EF96A9AC3D8AA74CDD4794FD6512B4DD1636

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Been replaying using Revision, and even though I'm liking most of the additions/changes (Including Shifter and Biomod in there 'cause fuck it (Special note: Not wild about entering the modder's magical realm of piss XP)) the updated character models are fucking horrible. The rejiggered textures for the world are fine, don't mind the redone maps even though they change the tone of the game, but the models really bring me down. The unfortunate part is that most models haven't been fucked with, it's just Paul, JC, Gunther, Anna, Simons and Nicolette (And UNATCO troops) that are mutants and the rest are normal.

5BB214F9D11ECFED135FBA1AA379E2039790F1E0

And the hidden bonus for arguably even worse than JC:
72D5EF96A9AC3D8AA74CDD4794FD6512B4DD1636
You know you can turn off the atrocious new character models in the settings, right? HDTP is primarily about items/weapons/scenery.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom