Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
As an addendum, based on playing through the DOS versions of W1-3&5, it's really only an issue with W3. You will typically roll enough bonus points during character generation in W1 to ensure that each character's important stats are 18+, so those stats are "safe".
Wizardry 5 has problems on DOS? I don't know how I could possibly sleep at night knowing that I might have to play the Amiga version of W5. The horror, the horror!
I did enjoy playing through the DOS versions, especially due to the quick interface (I even ended up liking the CGA graphics). However, I'd recommend just playing the PSX versions which are all very faithful ports that 1) can be set to English, 2) can be set to "classic" graphics (wireframe dungeons, PC98 style monster graphics), and 3) don't suffer from the stat loss problem.
You know what, you have me convinced, I'll start off with the PSX version. DOS sounds like a nightmare and I don't really care for using an Apple II emulator if I can avoid it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
English language not supported
This product does not have support for your local language. Please review the supported language list below before purchasing
:hmmm:

Seems like anything beside Bradley's trilogy (6-7-8) is so deep in the void it's almost impossible to recover.
Even getting text from older games is almost impossible?

Maybe work on Windows 7, but we didn't provide any support.
:decline:

Some monsters contain nudity.
JCD said:
I want you to get me inside

Last edited:

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Whenever I comment on a Steam forum about Wizardry and how I hate how pedophilia AKA anime infiltrated and ruined it, it sure does seem to trigger people.

English language not supported
This product does not have support for your local language. Please review the supported language list below before purchasing
:hmmm:

Seems like anything beside Bradley's trilogy (6-7-8) is so deep in the void it's almost impossible to recover.
Even getting text from older games is almost impossible?

Maybe work on Windows 7, but we didn't provide any support.
:decline:

Some monsters contain nudity.
JCD said:
I want you to get me inside

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I got it just to support Wizardry and the dev efforts. I translated prisoners of the battle for the PS2 two years ago, and like it a lot.

I hope they translate everything to English soon.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Can I ask someone who has played more than me - what is not translated in Wizardry: 5 Ordeals? I picked up the game and played for about 15 minutes, created a party, went to the dungeon and got into some battles and I couldn't see anything of any significance that wasn't translated into English.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Can I ask someone who has played more than me - what is not translated in Wizardry: 5 Ordeals? I picked up the game and played for about 15 minutes, created a party, went to the dungeon and got into some battles and I couldn't see anything of any significance that wasn't translated into English.

From my understanding, some of the signage in the dungeons is not translated

Contagium

Savant
Patron
I sunk about 5 hours into one of the fully translated scenarios yesterday. So far I like it better than either of the Elminage games and better than the other Japanese Wizardry's. The interface takes a bit to get used to. But it's Wizardry in all it's glory for sure.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I sunk about 5 hours into one of the fully translated scenarios yesterday. So far I like it better than either of the Elminage games and better than the other Japanese Wizardry's. The interface takes a bit to get used to. But it's Wizardry in all it's glory for sure.

What is the stuff you don't like in Elminage games?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Looking at the bullet points:

"Wizardry: The Five Ordeals originally released in 2006 and aspires to go back to the old school. The Five Ordeals is part of the "Wizardry Gaiden" series, a spin-off of the Wizardry series known in Japan. Five independent scenarios (each taking a dozen hours to complete) can be played in one software package. Main Monster Design are Jun Suemi (Japanese famous illustlator), BGM Made by Basiscape (known by 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim).

• Made and share Your Own Adventure: This Game's biggest main feature is Scenario Editor. You can make your own old-fashioned dungeon crawler, and you can also play those made by others. Of course, the balance of the game is yours to decide. Over the past 15 years, Japanese users have created more than 110 scenarios, and were the driving force behind bringing the game to Steam.
  • Brand New Enhanced Version: This versino of Wizardry: The Five Ordeals is remade under the Unity engine, and almost everything has been overhauled except for the game balance and foundation of the game. You may be able to play this game as an old-school title like a new one made in 2021.
  • Widescreen/high resolution support, 3D labyrinth and high resolution monsters.
  • 4 UI modes in total, including 2 completely new ones.
  • New built-in scenario selector
  • Gamepad support
  • Steam cloud support
  • Custom portraits support
  • Various editor updates and enhancements
I wish there were shorter review videos rather than playthroughs. Maybe my searchfu fails.

Sure has a long blank lead... seriously edit that crap out. Anyway:
JLZS26n.jpg

udFiVxE.jpg

That would annoy the fuck out of me.

Last edited:

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Lots of empty space. Lots of rooms and corridors with absolutely nothing. I thought the encounter rate was too high also. I've only explored two levels of the "tower" scenario in Five Ordeals and have already come across a few curiosities that you have to go back to. It's way more in line with the true Wizardry titles

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lots of empty space. Lots of rooms and corridors with absolutely nothing. I thought the encounter rate was too high also. I've only explored two levels of the "tower" scenario in Five Ordeals and have already come across a few curiosities that you have to go back to. It's way more in line with the true Wizardry titles

I see. What is the name of the scenario you are playing?

Contagium

Savant
Patron
"The ancient tower of Eleia". It's pretty good. Haven't encountered any weird bugs or anything yet. Only complaint is I haven't found any interesting gear and the starting shop kind of sucks, so hopefully there's more interesting stuff to be found when out and about.

I see. What is the name of the scenario you are playing?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Seeing the tge 5 ordeals art made me ponder if the other arts are around in a good format. I found one at least (hope it shows)
280d9876e09728ba68e90283e05b587c.png

d3660363ed44e2d0229b51d27a03c68f.png

4703c6e4-f14f-4f0a-b3dc-cfa3a51c8b05.png

0e2b405b38c781a4814cdb96225508be.png

415857199a51eb8d0146b0151a95471b.png

Wizardry-Gaiden-1-Joou-no-Junan-Japan-GB.jpg

latest

306312_front.jpg

b0d34f7fd9ff0c3d233d61a2f8bd00b71f99cc8f.jpg

15495_463986.jpg

Wizardry-Five-Ordeals_06-03-21.jpg

wizardry-the-five-ordeals-06-03-21-1.jpg

I like this style of art for Wizardry games. Pity it wasn't consistent though The Eye in Heart of the Maelstrom cover was cool.

6829-wizardry-v-heart-of-the-maelstrom-pc-booter-front-cover.jpg

71905-wizardry-bane-of-the-cosmic-forge-amiga-front-cover.jpg

113515-wizardry-crusaders-of-the-dark-savant-dos-front-cover.jpg

975-wizardry-gold-windows-front-cover.jpg

437957-wizardry-bane-of-the-cosmic-forge-linux-front-cover.jpg

271383-wizardry-crusaders-of-the-dark-savant-linux-front-cover.jpg

259119-wizardry-gold-windows-front-cover.png

11627-wizardry-8-windows-front-cover.jpg

During google search I saw THIS.

I like it when someone cleans up the images/redraws them.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Seeing the tge 5 ordeals art made me ponder if the other arts are around in a good format. I found one at least (hope it shows)
280d9876e09728ba68e90283e05b587c.png

d3660363ed44e2d0229b51d27a03c68f.png

4703c6e4-f14f-4f0a-b3dc-cfa3a51c8b05.png

0e2b405b38c781a4814cdb96225508be.png

415857199a51eb8d0146b0151a95471b.png

Wizardry-Gaiden-1-Joou-no-Junan-Japan-GB.jpg

latest

306312_front.jpg

b0d34f7fd9ff0c3d233d61a2f8bd00b71f99cc8f.jpg

15495_463986.jpg

Wizardry-Five-Ordeals_06-03-21.jpg

wizardry-the-five-ordeals-06-03-21-1.jpg

I like this style of art for Wizardry games. Pity it wasn't consistent though The Eye in Heart of the Maelstrom cover was cool.

6829-wizardry-v-heart-of-the-maelstrom-pc-booter-front-cover.jpg

71905-wizardry-bane-of-the-cosmic-forge-amiga-front-cover.jpg

113515-wizardry-crusaders-of-the-dark-savant-dos-front-cover.jpg

975-wizardry-gold-windows-front-cover.jpg

437957-wizardry-bane-of-the-cosmic-forge-linux-front-cover.jpg

271383-wizardry-crusaders-of-the-dark-savant-linux-front-cover.jpg

259119-wizardry-gold-windows-front-cover.png

11627-wizardry-8-windows-front-cover.jpg

During google search I saw THIS.

I like it when someone cleans up the images/redraws them.

You just brought a tear to this middle-aged man's eye. So many memories. So much wonder.

SpoonFULL

Novice
You would expect at this time some simple quality of life features like an automap, so I don't see anything wrong with that. I play both W7 and eye of the beholder (I and II) with an automap mod. Moreover they had this automap feature in the Llylgamyn Sagas!

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
You would expect at this time some simple quality of life features like an automap, so I don't see anything wrong with that. I play both W7 and eye of the beholder (I and II) with an automap mod. Moreover they had this automap feature in the Llylgamyn Sagas!
Except Llylgamyn Saga / New Age of Llylgamyn weren't designed with an automap in mind, so it breaks navigational challenges. That's why most people recommend mapping on paper while playing these ports.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom