Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry: The Five Ordeals Steam release

Casual Hero

Augur
They say that they are working on translating it. I don't know how long that will take, but it seems that it will happen eventually.

Casual Hero

Augur
At launch, each official scenario (eg: scenario message, item name, monster name; it changes depending on the scenario) has not been translated into English, but the game itself already has an English UI (There will be some untranslated and unadjusted parts). We are doing our best to translate the missing parts into English.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Out now.

They have to put this on the top of store description.

ABOUT THE "CLASSIC WIZARDRY"
This game has nothing to do with Wizardry #1-5. This does not include dungeon layouts, unique names (spell, town and weapon, etc), and the UI and graphics of those things themselves.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Purchased, I hope they translate everything soon.

I like that there are a good amount of scenarios.

When you say hope they translate - what are you referring to? I also purchased and downloaded, and most of it seems translated....

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Purchased, I hope they translate everything soon.

I like that there are a good amount of scenarios.

When you say hope they translate - what are you referring to? I also purchased and downloaded, and most of it seems translated....
The dungeon messages that include quest hints for example.

I don't know if there are puzzles that require having read those messages

680x0

Learned
Sounds like they are pretty committed to adding English, sucks about all the whining on the Steam forums tho, hope it doesn't discourage the effort.

Bought it, and now I wait ( -__-)

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sounds like they are pretty committed to adding English, sucks about all the whining on the Steam forums tho, hope it doesn't discourage the effort.

Bought it, and now I wait ( -__-)

Same here. It's very playable but will wait a bit.

If you want 100% english scenarios here is a list of old user ones that will be expanded over time.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1308700/discussions/0/5457797888013418956/

aweigh Dorarnae Have you played Five Ordeals scenarios in the past? how they compare to prisoners of the battle? How would you rated them from 1 to 10?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I am always at loss for words when I see new Wizardry titles that look so aesthetically unpleasant as this one or Labyrinth of Lost Souls . You know that you're fucking incompetent at your job when a fucking SNES version of Wizardry 3 looks thousand times better than your Ultrawide HD 4K dia show.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I am always at loss for words when I see new Wizardry titles that look so aesthetically unpleasant as this one or Labyrinth of Lost Souls . You know that you're fucking incompetent at your job when a fucking SNES version of Wizardry 3 looks thousand times better than your Ultrawide HD 4K dia show.

I like how it looks.

If they translate the editor this could be heaven for Wizardry enthusiasts in the same vein The Dark Mod is for Thief ones. The engine is pretty good for classic Wizardry, so we can get good scenarios.

What they need is to at least translate the dungeon messages for the 5 official scenarios so they can't remove the "English language not supported" in steam page that will harm their sales in the West.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
How does it compare to Lab of Lost Souls? That one was a huge letdown for me, a lot because of it's consolization I guess. I assume this is way more PC-centric

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How does it compare to Lab of Lost Souls? That one was a huge letdown for me, a lot because of it's consolization I guess. I assume this is way more PC-centric

Haven't played any scenario here, but their previous Wizardry "Prisoners of the battle", which I translated for PS2 version was very, very good. It definitely felt like classic Wizardry 1-5. Very faithful, almost nothing new and with very good dungeon design.

This has the same engine. You can use Keyboard only if you like, but there is mouse support if you want. I myself like to play with KB or lay back with the gamepad, which is also supported.

You may also want to look into Elminage Gothic for the best spiritual successor to Wiz 1-5

Last edited:

duke nukem

Augur
Does this have a map? Because i cant seem to access it anywhere.

So far havent needed to do any translations..yes few quest/description text were in japanese, but like anyone reads them anyway. Some things are really poorly translated.

Portraits looks really shit and only few of them. And art style and quality is far worse than in the Lost souls.

Also looks like instakilling chests are back..tried to open my first chest and my samurai got killed.:(
I like the spellbooks now, because now they actually have some description and shows how much damage spell does.
I would say controlling with mouse is basically required. Its so much easier compared to other methods. I tried controller, but it felt shit compared to mouse. In lost souls i liked using controller.

If there is no map, i think i just refund this. No way im gonna adventure in the copy paste corridoors without easy to access map.

Casual Hero

Augur
There is a spell called Wizard's Eye that will show your location in the dungeon.
Depending on what scenario you are playing, there are also consumable map items that you can use.

Ysaye

Arbiter

I played for a bit 3 hours yesterday and my initial thoughts:
  • In terms of console / UI, everything can be done by one keystroke and has a clear hotkey reference that is shown on the screen (or you can reach everything using the arrow keys and presing enter), so yes this definitely is more PC-centric feel. My biggest bugbear is in the shop and inn where you can't swap characters without at least 4 or 5 key strokes which is a bit grating.
  • So far the battles early on feel quite vicious; general randomness has already killed a few of my characters, and I have had a few stat downs on levelling up as well. Monsters have gotten the jump on my characters quite a bit, giving them a free full round including on my backrow. On the flip side thankfully there isn't a battle every single step that you take and I would say most of mine have been on walking through a door.
  • Equipment drops seem fairly generous early - I have already picked up some plate mail for both of my fighters and breastplates for Clerics and several shortbows for my Thief.
  • As others have mentioned, only the 8 original classes (which I am fine about)
  • Music is pretty good for one of these types of games; fairly non intrusive.

hackncrazy

Savant

I like how it looks.

If they translate the editor this could be heaven for Wizardry enthusiasts in the same vein The Dark Mod is for Thief ones. The engine is pretty good for classic Wizardry, so we can get good scenarios.

What they need is to at least translate the dungeon messages for the 5 official scenarios so they can't remove the "English language not supported" in steam page that will harm their sales in the West.

In a normal scenario, I'd only buy this after full english support, but considering how they're updating the game on a daily basis (just today they updated twice lmao), it shows how committed they are with the game, so I can just hope for good things.

I love games that offers a well built editor, since time has shown over and over that players that love a game can build things that are even better than the ones the devs created.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I like how it looks.

In a normal scenario, I'd only buy this after full english support, but considering how they're updating the game on a daily basis (just today they updated twice lmao), it shows how committed they are with the game, so I can just hope for good things.

I love games that offers a well built editor, since time has shown over and over that players that love a game can build things that are even better than the ones the devs created.

That's the key. This engine is a very good framework for building classic Wizardry scenarios, so I think we can see very good campaigns coming out in the future.

Even now there is a lot of content, with 4 user scenarios completely translated.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
few stat downs on levelling up as well

That's unfortunate, japs picking a bug and turning it into a features for decades is beyond me, the amount of shit a jap can endure is an example (to not follow) for us all.

My biggest bugbear is in the shop and inn where you can't swap characters without at least 4 or 5 key strokes which is a bit grating.

Wow, so no improvement at all?
How is equipment management and combat UI compared to say, Elminage?
What about spell names? Something intelligible? Well, it's probably not translated yet so scratch that.

Casual Hero

Augur
Stats going down on level up is NOT a bug. It was a deliberate feature in the first game.

The DOS port IS bugged however, and messed it the calculations, so stats go down more often then they are supposed to.

If you read the original manual for Wizardry, they mention that stats can go up or down on level up.

Casual Hero

Augur
Stats go down in Bradley's games as well. It has always been a part of Wizardry, from Wiz 1 to Wiz 7.
As far as I can think, Wizardry 8 is the only mainline game where they don't go down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom