Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Where did all the gatekeepers go?

Dodo1610

Arcane
Gatekeeping only works when you are actually part of a group. This forum is full of people who want to protect RPGs like DND from outsiders despite only having played video game adaptions of it.

Falksi

Arcane
Suck my fucking keymaster bitch.

nsFzd6v.png

catfood

AGAIN
Gatekeeping is a very real thing.

The previous gatekeepers were weak and very desperate to justify their hobbies in the eyes of normies and so they took a friendly attitude and welcomed as many people in as possible, especially women. Eventually the old guard were either driven out or were forced to convert to the religion of woke. Gatekeepers are very much a thing today. They exist both at the top in the leadership of the companies, as well as on the base level as masses of NPC's on twatter. If you're not pro wahmyn, pro joggers, pro lgbtlmnop, or any other globohomo psyop you will be gatekept out of this hobby. Definitely at the public level. You can of course still enjoy these things underground. For now.

If hobbies are castles, then the old guards were kicked out at the first sign of weakness by the roaming barbarian hordes. Now the barbarians have taken of the castles and the old guards are now being locked outside.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Chronicles of Myrtana is very symptomatic of a new wave of gatekeeping - either you learn Polish, or good luck playing through some bongo-bongo tier shitty translation

just

Liturgist
i anonymously insult people who complain about hard shit so im kinda gatekeeper myself

What is OP talking about? Codex is right here. It's the biggest gatekeeper of mental hygiene and a sane, happy life. Business as usual afaik.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Gatekeeping is a meme. It doesn't exist. You can't prevent other people from playing games, be they video games or tabletop, you can barely even make it unappealing. The only ones who can gatekeep are the companies that make the games, and it's contrary to their interests.

Casual Hero

Augur
Just goes to show that gatekeeping doesn't accomplish anything, right?

"No! You can't have this! You aren't good enough!"
-This is how you destroy the very thing that you love. They will grow to resent you, and hate what you preserve. They will fight against it, and destroy it.

If instead you learn to include them, and show them why you love the things you love so much, then maybe they will learn to love and preserve them too.

When has it ever been the opposite?

If gate-keeping for video games ever existed, which it didn't, it died with gaming magazines and other print media. You could spend a lot of time finding out from others what games you should play, or you could spend that time playing what interests you. Scary thought, I know.

J1M

Arcane
Gatekeeping is a meme. It doesn't exist. You can't prevent other people from playing games, be they video games or tabletop, you can barely even make it unappealing. The only ones who can gatekeep are the companies that make the games, and it's contrary to their interests.
You assume their interests are limited to financial gain. This is incorrect.

As catfood mentioned, there is a filter applied to the hiring and promotion process now in the game industry that never used to exist. The reason that games aren't made for the Codex anymore is because people who share Codex opinions are kept out at the gate.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ah, so this woke industry is the new gatekeeping with their bullshit? I really have no clue WTF gatekeeping is but it sounds like a tyranny of control like Nintendo does for their Ip with threats of lawsuits.

Tbh, if comics, movies, games, etc are woke agenda driven shit then some other company (not being woke) will probably win the market (comics in USA are sinking like shit down the stormdrain while anime manga pick up the slack).

Games? Well, if major companies produce crap then there are always indie developers. Unless you live in a country where they stomp your soul into spiked shit like North Korea then you should have options.

MMOs? Who gives a crap. Again, I'm not sure what gatekeeping is but rogues/pirates just find a window and get shit and bypass the retardo guards if we can't purchase it. As to idiots telling us we're playing wrong or some sort of cyber-bullying; they can fuck themselves or get trolled. I'll play or buy whatever the fuck I want.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
If instead you learn to include them, and show them why you love the things you love so much, then maybe they will learn to love and preserve them too.
No. They always find things they disagree with and try to uproot or change it completely.

Monolith

Prophet
I used to blame it on banning of shock links. Now I'm not so sure, half of what is written here is more shocking nowadays.

Now I blame it on the revival of RPGs via the appearance of an independant industry. Today, the ol' guard doesn't hang around the gate anymore, stopped spitting in the face of new arrivals as much as they should, seldom offering a kick to the face, contrary to good ol' custom.

They went back into solitude, actually spending some quality time playing good games and having fun. That sure got rid of some of the pent up tensions.

J1M

Arcane
No. They always find things they disagree with and try to uproot or change it completely.
Yes! The flaw with trying to include those people was the assumption that they were reasonable.

Their goal was always and only as many changes as possible. It was never to earnestly participate.

Last edited:

Blutwurstritter

Learned
The only "gate keeper" that works is money. Viable hardware has become cheap and is easily available and affordable consoles also have become more or less pc's. The same goes for games. That wasn't the case in the beginning and mostly technology enthusiasts owned computers. If you still had to spent a sizeable sum for a machine with little utility you'd probably see a lot less "gamers". And since everyone owns a machine in some form nowadays, the main hurdle has vanished.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
If you guys don't think gatekeeping is possible, keep watching. They will make you feel unwelcome, unless you are one of them.

ㅤㅤㅤ

Learned
Gatekeeping exists alright.

It just doesn't work.
It demonstrably does and that is why in video games and print you see an ideological heterodoxy.
You can't effectively gatekeep people out of engaging in a hobby, especially one supported by a company that wants to make profit, which means selling more product.
You can turn that hobby into something else, an extension of a culture war.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom