Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Dorateen

Arcane
Pirates get backstab, which can inflict up to triple damage. That is three times warrior-type damage (with a weapon like Excalibur, for example) and persists throughout combat, once the pirate has successfully used stealth. I know not everyone likes the mechanic of hiding for one round, but it is fun to see the subsequent massive damage outputs. And there are end game enemies with high hit points who are otherwise difficult to hit.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Balance and difficulty curve are rather wacky - if you're rolling with balanced party (e.g 4-5 melees and 3-4 casters) you can steamroll almost everything.

Getting to Kublai means you just finished the starting area really, which is about 25% of the game. If you want a challenge, go to some of the more challenging areas. Plus, it is usually the boss fights that are the biggest challenge.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Pirates get backstab, which can inflict up to triple damage. That is three times warrior-type damage (with a weapon like Excalibur, for example) and persists throughout combat, once the pirate has successfully used stealth. I know not everyone likes the mechanic of hiding for one round, but it is fun to see the subsequent massive damage outputs. And there are end game enemies with high hit points who are otherwise difficult to hit.

What's the point of backstabbing and wasting whole turn to hide, other than adding extra flavor, when you can instakill mobs right away?
Plus, you need to invest both in hiding and backstabbing skills, while lethal blow is just one. Plus you can get backstabbing by dipping in thief class, so there's really no reason to go for a pirate as a final class, which has one of the highest xp requirements.

Lady Error - got it, it's encouraging that things are getting tougher as the game progresses. Right now I'm at the Samhain, and most of my mages have toxic cloud/hailstorm, which thrown on high level can decimate entire groups of mobs. Agree that bosses pose some challenge - for black lich I think I had to turn the difficulty down, because he was constantly spamming finger of death and healed himself while moving to backrow.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Lady Error - got it, it's encouraging that things are getting tougher as the game progresses. Right now I'm at the Samhain, and most of my mages have toxic cloud/hailstorm, which thrown on high level can decimate entire groups of mobs. Agree that bosses pose some challenge - for black lich I think I had to turn the difficulty down, because he was constantly spamming finger of death and healed himself while moving to backrow.

Samhain is a very early area. And how can you complain about lack of difficulty and at the same time turn the difficulty down in difficult fights?

Piotrovitz

Savant
Samhain is a very early area. And how can you complain about lack of difficulty and at the same time turn the difficulty down in difficult fights?
On my previous run I've reached Axis and couple of surrounding areas and never had a fight I had to reload - maybe it get harder as the game progresses, I don't know.

I'm playing on veteran or advanced (whichever is higher, don't remember), and the black lich was the only fight so far I had to tone it down. It's not something I do for every boss fight - if it weren't for his finger of death spam every round then it wouldn't be even necessary.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I'm playing on veteran or advanced (whichever is higher, don't remember), and the black lich was the only fight so far I had to tone it down. It's not something I do for every boss fight - if it weren't for his finger of death spam every round then it wouldn't be even necessary.

If even one of the first bosses is too hard for you, then why do you complain about lack of difficulty? Again, this makes no sense.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The only exceptions so far were the fire beetles in Crowl that you encounter right off the bat, which can one shot your mages with fireball. and the weapon/armor-destroying mobs like ore worms and mad 49'ers. The only way out is savescumming and hoping you can whack them before they start to melt your inventory. Oh, and the insta-killing wasps in Eyrie.

Ore worms and miners can be a nuisance but IIRC there are very effective ways of countering them. Spells like reflection mirror (or whatever it was called) can kick the armour rot back at them, and they also have low initiative and resistance to some common disabling spells.

For dragonflies - just keep up 6 casts of armourplate at all times in places where they spawn.

Piotrovitz

Savant
If even one of the first bosses is too hard for you, then why do you complain about lack of difficulty? Again, this makes no sense.
It makes perfect sense, as in most cRPGs the first bosses are the hardest ones, as your low level, low HP team is still ill equipped, hence the difficulty.

Later on, when all your melees have lethal 6d6 or sth weapons, and casters have tons of spells, bosses do not pose such a challenge - it's always been like this.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
The only exceptions so far were the fire beetles in Crowl that you encounter right off the bat, which can one shot your mages with fireball. and the weapon/armor-destroying mobs like ore worms and mad 49'ers. The only way out is savescumming and hoping you can whack them before they start to melt your inventory. Oh, and the insta-killing wasps in Eyrie.

Ore worms and miners can be a nuisance but IIRC there are very effective ways of countering them. Spells like reflection mirror (or whatever it was called) can kick the armour rot back at them, and they also have low initiative and resistance to some common disabling spells.

For dragonflies - just keep up 6 casts of armourplate at all times in places where they spawn.

I knew there could not be attacks as enraging as armor rot throughout the game but had to have it in at least one phase of the adventure just to throw a new and challenging element at the player. I put this very scarcely after the Avian Mountains because I thought it was enough that it became a problem in the early part of the game before you had really good weapons.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

The only thing more satisfying than the triple damage backstab of the pirate class is the triple damage of the assassins in barehanded combat. This of course is also copying the Wizardry 7 formula where you discover some awesome abilities of certain classes late in the game.

welly321

Scholar
I've explored everywhere I could in the Snark but im still only at like 70% map completion and I had detect secret up the whole time. I got the tuning fork but Im not sure where to use it. Is there anything else important on this stupid ship?

Also I let Admiral Boondoggle go but now I found out from some mermaid he might have a helmet I need? How do I get that?

Last edited:

marux

Augur
How's the phonebook-sized manual coming cleve?

It was finished years ago and is now included with the installation. Also, pet rocks and Rubix Cube are no longer popular gifts for Christmas.

The Indiegogo campaign promised a bunch of outdated real media. The game on DVD, a color cover hardback printed manual and a large map poster.

I just would have really liked to display a piece of history on my shelf . . .

GandGolf

Augur
How's the phonebook-sized manual coming cleve?

It was finished years ago and is now included with the installation. Also, pet rocks and Rubix Cube are no longer popular gifts for Christmas.

The Indiegogo campaign promised a bunch of outdated real media. The game on DVD, a color cover hardback printed manual and a large map poster.

I just would have really liked to display a piece of history on my shelf . . .

The backers are never going to get their physical goods. Rodney Lucas must be laughing somewhere.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom